HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 3:38 AM

the pic that was there isn't there anymore - blame hotlinking

its supposed to be henderson centre

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:01 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

None of these would ever compare to the colossal bust that is the South China Mall XD

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:28 AM
Closed account

I didn't search through this thread, but the confederation mall in Saskatoon is about as dead as it can get.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Calling North Hill (Cgy) a "dead mall" is one of the silliest things I've ever read. This person obviously has no idea what a "dead mall" looks like. North Hill has constant traffic. it is no Chinook but it's incredibly far from "dead."

Google Woodmar Mall, Hammond Indiana (my teenage stomping ground) if you want to see a dead mall.
I can only think of 3 dead malls in Calgary, and all have been replaced with strip malls:

1) Macleod Mall at Macleod and Southland - Safeway moved across Macleod in 1989 and the mall went into steep decline. In 1993, the Woolco became Walmart and in 1995 the remainder of the mall was replaced with a Revy (now Rona)

2) Transcanada Mall: 16th Ave and 52nd - KMart closed, mall was demolished and replaced with a Safeway.

3) Mall in Thorncliff along Centre Street. Used to have a Zellers. Was demolished and replaced with SuperStore.

Calgary probably has the fewest dead malls in Canada because it never really had that many to begin with and strong population growth has ensured continued demand.

London has got to be the worst. I can think of so many malls that were bustling when I lived there in the late 80's that are gone now. Of course, London also had a crazy number of malls for its size.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 6:16 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Calgary probably has the fewest dead malls in Canada because it never really had that many to begin with and strong population growth has ensured continued demand.
Quoted for truth. I STILL think Calgary is underserved by large scale retail compared to most Canadian cities of similar size, and that's after we saw a completely new mall (CrossIron Mills) plus major renos and expansions in the past 5-7 years (Market Mall, South Centre, Chinook, The Core). When you add in the continual population growth and the sheer excess of disposable income here... it's sick. Mind you, a lot of the excess consumer demand is taken up by the ridiculous amount of big box that's going up everywhere.

But yeah. North Hill is a quiet, "locals" mall at worst. It may be the closest thing to a dead mall Calgary has, but that says more about Calgary than it does dead malls. Northland is in a similar category if you ask me. I was there at 4pm on December 24th and it still felt empty - but hardly dead.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I didn't search through this thread, but the confederation mall in Saskatoon is about as dead as it can get.
When were you last thropugh it? latest numbers have it around 93% leased, with Canadian Tire moving in to the space that Walmart vacated. Far from dead........

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:25 PM
unignorable quasi-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusion View Post
Not dead. It still gets daily up keep
If it wasn't located in a "communist" state, though, it wouldn't get upkeep. Surely, they'd have given up by now?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 6:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
When were you last thropugh it? latest numbers have it around 93% leased, with Canadian Tire moving in to the space that Walmart vacated. Far from dead........
Well I was there around a year ago, and they were about to tear down the confederation mall and destroy it because walmart was leaving. And by the looks of it, half of the mall was vacant. Guess it changed.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 10:39 PM

Probably not mentioned, but my home town of Camrose, AB has Duggan Mall which is all-but dead. Still has Zellers for an anchor store but other than that it's pretty quiet. A large power center opened just west of the mall which sealed it's fate. The same seems prevalent in other small central Alberta towns like Wetaskiwin and Airdrie (I believe the Airdrie mall was demolished).

It seems Calgary has a small amount of enclosed shopping malls but they LOVE their power centers. Is it true that Signal Hill Shopping Centre was originally supposed to be an enclosed shopping mall? That's one of the few Zellers locations that is attached to a power center instead of a mall.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 11:07 PM
Bring buildings to life

I always thought Deerfoot Mall is quieter than North Hill. Perhaps Deerfoot Mall may be the most vulnerable of all Calgary Malls, now that Crossiron Mills has opened.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'm cheap

In Campbell River there is the Campbell River Common which used to be called Ironwood Mall. It's pretty sad. A couple of years ago they tried to resurrect the place but it didn't work. Recently the Sears appliance store moved out of the mall. It was where the old Safeway was. Currently there is a Dollarama, Bootlegger/Ricki's, Northern Reflections and Thrifty Foods. It's a pretty sad mall and I think that it's not going to last very much longer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Well I was there around a year ago, and they were about to tear down the confederation mall and destroy it because walmart was leaving. And by the looks of it, half of the mall was vacant. Guess it changed.
New owner and new management can make a huge difference to a mall. In fact all the enclosed malls in Saskatoon are doing well with the exception of a smaller one or two in the downtown. I think the Sturdy Stone Center is a bit sluggish.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 1:57 AM

Cavendish mall in Cote St. Luc...I remember it well. Was thriving in the 70s-80s, then Eaton's died. The cancer crept up the mall. Time to slice the dog turd in half. Cavendish mall used to have legendary-bad commercials ad nauseum on CJAD 800 radio in Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanzmastertron3000 View Post
Penhorn in Dartmouth seems to be pretty dead.

It's amazing that old relics like these are still standing. You'd think they'd be prime targets for redevelopment if they haven't been swept up by the call centres and discount emporiums.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 6:19 AM

The Village mall in St. John's is dying a slow death. It was on life support for a while but some new stores have moved in recently and the Sport Check that has been in there for probably a decade has moved into the old Sears location, expanding their store by atleast 50%. There are still a good few vacant stores and I doubt that many of the stores that are in there will be able to survive.

The mall is suffering because of the big box stores and because of the larger and more popular Avalon Mall. The Wal Mart in the Village moved to a bix box store development several years ago which wasn't good for the mall but the Wal Mart and the supermarket that were in the Avalon Mall also moved out and this ended up being worse for the Village. With the Avalon Mall having two large spaces open up both Sears and Winners, which also had locations in the Village, moved in and it wasn't long before they closed their stores in the Village.

Sears and Winners were the two big attractions for the Village and with them gone the vast majority of the stores that were left there were all in the Avalon Mall. The mall was sold a few years ago, it may have been sold twice in recent years, and the new owners brought in some different sotres but it hasn't made much of a difference.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:44 AM
Traveller Extraodinaire

How about a mall that has never had a single tenant in its entire history?

(Source - BC Local News - LINK)

I present 104th Avenue Centre in Surrey, BC. It has been empty for 13 years, never had anyone occupy the building, and is owned by some investor in Arizona. It apparently accounts for so much of the vacancy rate in the city, that it is no longer included in the annual vacancy rate listings.

It started off life as the Asian Mall for Surrey and was about 80% leased... until the developer went bankrupt. It was bought out and finished, but many of the tenants moved on to other sites. It is in immaculate shape.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2473513/Asian-Centre
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar...108987074.html
http://www.kindredconstruction.com/g...g2_itemId=1322

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 4:10 PM

There was a mall with an almost similar fate in Montreal along Decarie expressway. The whole thing became a massive call centre.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Cavendish mall in Cote St. Luc...I remember it well. Was thriving in the 70s-80s, then Eaton's died. The cancer crept up the mall. Time to slice the dog turd in half. Cavendish mall used to have legendary-bad commercials ad nauseum on CJAD 800 radio in Montreal.
They already tore down half the mall. I drove on Cavendish for the first time in a while a week ago, it was an odd feeling seeing nothing but rubble.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:40 PM
unignorable quasi-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
How about a mall that has never had a single tenant in its entire history?

(Source - BC Local News - LINK)

I present 104th Avenue Centre in Surrey, BC.
Looks like a high school.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 8:58 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Looks like a high school.
If only Highschools were designed like that.
Many of the suburb schools have horrible designs for the buildings.
Burnaby probably leads the list with the largrst numbers.
Vancouver is ok because of the older buildings, but some newer buildings from the 70's are pretty bad aswell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada