HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 4:40 AM

I also forgot to consider that migration stats alone don't paint the full picture; if for example you're losing X low education, low income people a year to other states while gaining 0.8X high education, high income people a year from other states, that migratory imbalance isn't actually bad.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I wish this myth would die. The vast majority of California's growth is due to natural increase.
it not that california isn't growing, it is, but its much slower than it was even 20 years ago. and its trending in the wrong direction. outmigration of us citizens is higher than its in migration of us citizens. sure people moving there are having some kids but the majority of people moving to california are still from other countries, and the birthrate is dropping. thats not unique to california though, the whole western world's rate is down too. its kind of the gateway state as they end up getting priced out almost from the get go. california has kind of regulated itself to death and within a generation or two, the only people who can afford to live there will either be extremely rich retirees or people on state assistance. the middle class is getting squeezed out and we know where they are all going. texas, colorado, washington, oregon and even florida. those are the folks you want to stay...anyway, time will tell.

Last edited by pdxtex; Jun 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 7:43 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
it not that california isn't growing, it is, but its much slower than it was even 20 years ago. and its trending in the wrong direction. outmigration of us citizens is higher than its in migration of us citizens. sure people moving there are having some kids but the majority of people moving to california are still from other countries.
First of all, it's entirely possible the total number of foreign immigrants moving to California is greater than the total number of Americans moving to California, but I don't know that is true. The stats I've seen on natural increase indicate it's unlikely, but if you've got statistics then I'd love to see them.

The most recent Census Bureau data I can find on a Saturday night and after a cocktail shows about 450,000 Americans moved into California and about 575,000 Californians moved to other states in 2010. That amounts to a domestic deficit of about 125,000, which is less than one-third of one percent of California's population. Even if I were to concede the net domestic outmigration had tripled since then, a tremendous jump, it would still only amount to slightly less than 1% of the total population.

Meanwhile the state continues to grow, due mostly to natural increase--literally the production of hundreds of thousands of new Americans annually--and so none of this seems to me like a bad omen for the state's future, nor any meaningful 'trend in the wrong direction.' An adult Californian, or a transplant from some other state, is no more inherently important to this state's future than is a newborn Californian or a newly-arrived computer programmer from India.

In a place like California, people come and people go. The numbers I've seen represent the kind of flux I would expect to see in a state this large and this dynamic--and yes, this expensive in the coastal urban areas--which happens to be surrounded by other dynamic states that are very attractive on their own merits. California is the oldest population center on the West Coast. Of course people are going to move from here to the less developed surrounding areas--isn't this the story of American growth?

Quote:
its kind of the gateway state as they end up getting priced out almost from the get go. california has kind of regulated itself to death and within a generation or two, the only people who can afford to live there will either be extremely rich retirees or people on state assistance. the middle class is getting squeezed out and we know where they are all going. texas, colorado, washington, oregon and even florida. those are the folks you want to stay...anyway, time will tell.
Yes, time will tell. California has certainly had its ups and downs, but the state's demise has been greatly exaggerated since at least the 1970s. The American middle class is getting squeezed in general and there are great problems here as there are elsewhere, but I think the claim there is an exodus of the middle class from California of such magnitude that it will disappear entirely from the state within a couple decades--rooted only in annual domestic outmigration rates amounting to less than 1% of the overall population, and despite the fact the state continues to grow overall--seems greatly overblown. Color me unimpressed.

I've said this before and I'll say it again--cities like Austin and Portland and Las Vegas have grown a great deal due to in-migration from California, and 60,000 or 100,000 new arrivals in a decade represents a huge influx in the less populous destination states. It must be a really glaring change. Yet those numbers represent an insignificant loss from a state with nearly 40,000,000 residents. It might seem to the Portlander that 50% of state of California is moving in, but it's closer to 0.05%.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:50 PM
Never Dell

Much of the net internal outflow is caused by the pressure of the overall net increases.

The state doesn't grow easily, at least in core metros and other nicer spots. Every added person increases the pressures on everything from housing prices to transportation, some of which aren't easy to scale up.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Do Elite Colleges Produce the Best-Paid Graduates?

/IMG]

Ivy grads only make a median mid-career income of around $120k. What "poors"....only barely making more than bucknell grads!
http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/pr.../02/21/NY63966

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 8:53 PM

here's a good article that kind of sums things up a bit. while california has seen natural increase, the birthrate is indeed declining, the death rate is holding steady, and its had negative migration for the last 8 years. while the state isn't losing population at the moment, if the birthrate drops much more, the growth rate will be flat in the foreseeable future. http://www.newgeography.com/content/...a-a-world-hurt

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 9:16 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

california needs to hold on to and grow its middle class, that seems non-debatable.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 12:17 AM

my honest feeling is no matter where you go at this point, the urban resurgence is in such full force that you are bound to find success and a happy life in just about every major american metro. while the west is still a popular destination, i dont think its nearly the draw it was say 20 or 30 years ago. we will still see alot of growth but i think the new american frontier has shifted back to the sunbelt and the central midwest.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:22 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
my honest feeling is no matter where you go at this point, the urban resurgence is in such full force that you are bound to find success and a happy life in just about every major american metro. while the west is still a popular destination, i dont think its nearly the draw it was say 20 or 30 years ago. we will still see alot of growth but i think the new american frontier has shifted back to the sunbelt and the central midwest.
An interesting point. I fall under the category of a West Coast transplant residing in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. I do agree with others that you can find the same amenities here as in California and Oregon--two places I grew up in and attended college. Frankly, most of Johnson County, Kansas, a suburb of KCMO reminds me of SoCal sprawl. Graduate school has kept me in the Midwest for the time being or foreseeable future if a worthwhile job opportunity arises. Now, although physically this area and the area I am from have similar qualities there is still the issue of a very different culture than the one I became accustom to on the West Coast. Certainly for me that has been the biggest issue and the one that directs my thoughts as I consider where I want to live and work in the near future.

P.S. I also fall under the category of the 20 something, single, and educated person. That group moving to urban centers and as an architectural intern, I am of course drawn to cities like many people in this profession and those that frequent this forum.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:52 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
here's a good article that kind of sums things up a bit. while california has seen natural increase, the birthrate is indeed declining, the death rate is holding steady, and its had negative migration for the last 8 years. while the state isn't losing population at the moment, if the birthrate drops much more, the growth rate will be flat in the foreseeable future. http://www.newgeography.com/content/...a-a-world-hurt
The birth rate declined significantly throughout the United States with the onset of the Great Recession--and that is the data covered by your 2+ year old link; it wasn't merely a California thing. And it would be disingenuous to extrapolate into the future based on that kind of specific data--but given your source is Joel Kotkin's website, which is funded to regularly promote a narrative of the inexorable decline of places like California, that just comes with the territory.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Which is pretty much what I just said:

Earth to mhays: It actually helps to click on, and look at the data for, the links I have posted. To wit: I posted this link, while discussing rents on 2-br apts:

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...e-rent-trends/

2-br rent, 7/2009: $1165
2-br rent, 5/2015: $2015

Which is a 73% rise in just 6 years. A couple months shy, actually. 73% is getting pretty close to doubling. Even 1-br has risen more than 50% in that same 6 years.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me you think Seattle rents will be only about $2,783 in the year 2030.

At least in Seattle you have areas immediately outside of the core city that are affordable still. In the Bay Area, it's pretty much ALL expensive. From Marin down to San Jose, unless you want to live in the ghetto (which is sort of how things operate here, you're either paying a lot to live somewhere decent, or you have to make do with a really sketchy area) it's all very unaffordable. Parts of Oakland are still somewhat cheaper, but the majority of the East Bay still is very pricey.

There's becoming fewer and fewer liveable options in the Bay Area, unless you're OK with commuting 1.5hr+ one way, every day. Seattle has a lot more space and options. Sorry, it's not even comparable.

Also, what you get for your money is much more in Seattle from what I've seen on Craiglist. Rents may look similar, but as opposed to a studio in SF, you're getting a huge 1 bedroom or even 2 bedroom--often with a parking spot. I can't believe how low many of the rent prices are in hi-rises in Belltown. Anything like that in SF would easily pass $4k+.

Last edited by destroycreate; Jul 2, 2015 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:39 PM
Never Dell

Yes, and those lower suburban prices will also help keep central Seattle prices in check. San Francisco's prices are due to a whole bunch of factors, but the main one is that there's no pressure valve...people either join the bidding war, commute over the mountains, or leave.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Yes, and those lower suburban prices will also help keep central Seattle prices in check. San Francisco's prices are due to a whole bunch of factors, but the main one is that there's no pressure valve...people either join the bidding war, commute over the mountains, or leave.

Very true.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but NIMBYsm doesn't seem as horrible in Seattle as it is here. When I was in Seattle in February, I was astonished by the amount of new construction and infill going up everywhere. It's pretty rare in most of the Bay Area to be live in or even see new construction (aside from downtown SF) due to the pervasive anti-development mentality. I'm sure things will start to change though given Seattle is booming and the long term residents aren't a fan of the increasing congestion and density arriving.

Just curious though - there's no denying Seattle is (arguably) a lot more sophisticated and "cool" than it was 10 - 20 years ago...do many locals only dislike this, or embrace it? Certainly the job market is robust right? And cultural amenities/restaurants/things to do have increased, so I can imagine the younger generations are taking a liking to this upswing.

PS - officially moving in 2 months! Put in my notice at work, it's happening. Can't wait to finally live in the beautiful Northwest.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 7:33 PM
Never Dell

In that case, welcome!

Yes there's a ton of construction. Here's a report of growth over the past 20 years by net additional units per district. Two huge differences vs SF are that a development that basically conforms to zoning will get permitted without being turned back outright, and the 15% of the city that allows apartments includes a ton of underused properties. That said, those properties are getting less pervasive and more expensive, but things can keep going for a while without policy changes.
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups...dpdd017580.pdf

Yes there's some pushback as we get more expensive and apartments change the character of neighborhood business districts. Some people think that new housing supply raises prices, a bizarre concept but a popular one. There's a current push to add affordable housing by putting huge fees on new development, because people don't know that the whole rental market's pricing will tend to reflect development costs. We might shoot ourselves in the foot. In truth Seattle housing is booming because jobs are booming and people want to live here, particuarly near work and in the best areas.

Seattle's culture is very different than even 10 years ago. Much more tech in the core (vs. centered on the Eastside), more Asian, yet also more "Portlandia." One trend is that basically every Bay Area tech company is opening/expanding an engineering office here, particuarly in the last year or two.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 11:21 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
At least in Seattle you have areas immediately outside of the core city that are affordable still.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 2:07 AM
Never Dell

^^ For no particular reason apparently.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 5:08 PM

its not like the rush to seattle is sudden or unexpected. hasn't seattle been on the cool kid and tech worker radar for about 20 years now? if anything, its probably kept prices under control because its also been building like crazy during that time also.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:33 AM
Posh

Quote:
Enjoy it while it lasts.
As I said ...

Even with all those new apartments being built we still get this:

Apartment rents in King, Snohomish counties jump 5 percent in 3 months
Quote:
Apartment rents for new leases in King and Snohomish counties jumped nearly 5 percent in the second quarter and almost 10 percent over the past 12 months, according to a new survey.

In the second quarter, the average rent for new leases was $1,405, up $124 from a year ago, market-research firm Apartment Insights Washington reports. The firm tracks rents, vacancies and concessions at apartment complexes with at least 50 units.
If you want to move here, you'd better hurry up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:37 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
PS - officially moving in 2 months! Put in my notice at work, it's happening. Can't wait to finally live in the beautiful Northwest.
If you don't mind living in Snohomish County, I've got a townhouse/duplex for you for $250K. Right near a bus stop.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 6:03 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
As I said ...

Even with all those new apartments being built we still get this:

Apartment rents in King, Snohomish counties jump 5 percent in 3 months

If you want to move here, you'd better hurry up.
This illustrates your general lack of understanding.

The larger spikes are due to renters competing with each other for a limited supply of housing, generally seen when vacancies are below 5% as a rule of thumb.

But long-term, rents will reflect development costs. Those are growing but not anything like the magnitude of 5% per quarter. Developers will respond by building more, and that will tamp down future increases.

"But oh, we've been building and rents have risen," they say. But that's not the point. We haven't been building enough to keep up with demand, which has been surprisingly high. Do that and rents will stabilize.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions