HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:18 PM

This MAY not be the correct place for this, but a thoughtful essay by Brian Libby on the impending demolition of the beloved (and contaminated) Gasco Building out in the shadow of the St Johns Bridge.
http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portla...-building.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
This MAY not be the correct place for this, but a thoughtful essay by Brian Libby on the impending demolition of the beloved (and contaminated) Gasco Building out in the shadow of the St Johns Bridge.
http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portla...-building.html
It is sad to see that building go, but at the same time it is so contaminated that you couldn't pay me to step foot in that building even if you told me they magically cleaned it up.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It is sad to see that building go, but at the same time it is so contaminated that you couldn't pay me to step foot in that building even if you told me they magically cleaned it up.
Yep. I love the building, but holy cow is that a toxic place. I can't see a justification for trying to save it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 7:26 AM

I was really hoping for the "preserved as ruin" path. They don't need to rehab it, just make sure it won't collapse and leave it as-is. There are so many beautiful ruins that are intentionally left as ruins in Europe and elsewhere. This could have been our historical ruin.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 12:47 AM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 7:18 PM

Barry R Smith Architect has requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference for a project at 829 NW 19th Ave:

Quote:
Move existing structure and add new 54 unit structure

Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Type III Historic Resource Review to move an existing office building (contributing structure) from current location to within 20 feet of NW 19th. The applicant wishes to establish original lot lines (Lot Confirmation) and move some of the lot lines (PLA) to create two separate lots. The exisitng building will be located on a 4,355 sq. ft. lot and the other lot, 12,145 sq. ft., will be developed with a new 54-unit residential building. The site is within the Alphabet Historic District.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 5:01 PM

Revised drawings [PDF - 50 MB] for Restoration Hardware, with a preferred design and an alternative design. Going before the Historic Landmarks Commission for its third Design Advice session on September 28th. I'm still not in love with it, but I think it's improving.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:05 AM

GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss a project at 2301 NW Savier St (old Besaw's):

Quote:
Pre-application conference for a Type III DZ review for a new 4-story mixed use building.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 12:57 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
GBD Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss a project at 2301 NW Savier St (old Besaw's):
So does this mean they are now gonna tear down the old Besaw's building?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
So does this mean they are now gonna tear down the old Besaw's building?
The plan a couple of years back was to raze Besaw's and a couple of the faux Victorian homes behind it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:14 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
The plan a couple of years back was to raze Besaw's and a couple of the faux Victorian homes behind it.
That wouldn't surprise me, I remember with the fight with the Besaw's owner that the developer made it sound like he didn't want to tear down the actual building, but just wanted to build a new building around this one and renovate this building with a new kitchen. Obviously he had hoped to just kick out the owner and open up his own place with the same name as if no one would notice the difference.

Thankfully Besaw's got to keep their name in a new location, and it wouldn't surprise me if this developer actually planned to tear down this building all along, which if he does, he shouldn't be allowed to use the Besaw's name for any reason. I hope they at least save the bar, that would be such a loss not to save that thing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:20 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for 1502 NW 19th Ave, currently the food carts.

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for 829 NW 19th Ave.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:38 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for 2301 NW Savier (old Besaw's site).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:52 PM

North 18 | 120' | 11 floors | Proposed

YBA Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss a project at 1134 NW 18th Ave:

Quote:
Proposal is for mixed use development with retail space on grd floor, a row of townhomes and at-grade double height car parking with stacking semi-automated parking system.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:04 AM

Drawings for 829 NW 19th [PDF - 7MB]:

http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/Rec.../File/Document

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 7:37 AM
A before E

Quote:
Drawings for 829 NW 19th [PDF - 7MB]:

http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/Rec.../File/Document
I wanna say it looks ugly or the renderings look really poor......not sure which, hopefully this will be one of those buildings you don't really notice its even there until you look directly at it....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
I wanna say it looks ugly or the renderings look really poor......not sure which, hopefully this will be one of those buildings you don't really notice its even there until you look directly at it....
it's both.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 7:16 PM

Ill considered, badly proportioned but vaguely old timey. The Historic Landmarks Commission will love it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:58 PM

Sorry for the huge image. This is the project at 20th and Pettygrove. Since it didn't go through design review, I don't think we've seen any images of it at all.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Ill considered, badly proportioned but vaguely old timey. The Historic Landmarks Commission will love it.
Nice! You can still make me chuckle from 5000 miles away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland