HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:10 PM
TL;DR

Block 37 9/03/08

From State/Washington

Birds' eye view

Uh oh... the trapezoidal shape I thought was a skylight has been roofed over!

Down into the basements/CTA level

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 8:42 AM
Everywhere all at once

The State Street side actually looks like it's coming together unexpectedly well. hmmm....

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
From State/Washington
This would have been so much better without those panels. WHY! did we feel obligated to add those? Once those towers are added, it could have been sweet.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 6:56 PM
BANNED

it wasn't interesting enough without them...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
This would have been so much better without those panels. WHY! did we feel obligated to add those? Once those towers are added, it could have been sweet.
I'm not sure about sweet, but definitely better: Those panels appear totally irrelevant to this design. Pure gimmick.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 2:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
it wasn't interesting enough without them...
No, it would have been plenty interesting without them, however, if you took the tall skylight looking thingys off of it as well as the panels then it would have been a lot less engaging. Though even then, there are some other elements to this facade that would still have given it a little detailing. I think it would be better without the panels, but lets wait and see if they do that LED thing or something and how that looks.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 4:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I like the panels. I was south of the building on State Street last week and the red, white and golden-yellow of the Chicago Theater sign was reflecting off of some of the curves in a very visually pleasing way. With the change of ambient color and light, plus the lighting effects they'll be adding, I think it'll end up adding a lot of interest to that stretch of the street.

---------------

It's already close to being this way, but if the stretch of Michigan between Randolph and the River gets retailed up over the next few years like some have talked about, it wouldn't take much on the stretch of Randolph between Michigan and State to have a solid retail strip all the way from Oak Street to Van Buren. With only a little more work, it could stretch to Polk and with any luck in less than 20 years there would be solid retail on the Michigan/State corridors from Oak to Roosevelt, nearly three miles of solid shops and such. Unfortunately, even though it might normally be natural for it to keep going south, those Dearborn Park homes and the Jewel at Roosevelt seem to be killers again continuation.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
No, it would have been plenty interesting without them, however, if you took the tall skylight looking thingys off of it as well as the panels then it would have been a lot less engaging. Though even then, there are some other elements to this facade that would still have given it a little detailing. I think it would be better without the panels, but lets wait and see if they do that LED thing or something and how that looks.
i was being sarcastic...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:15 PM
BANNED

^^^ Oh I know, the main point of my comment in reference to you was to say, maybe it won't be so bad if the panels exhibit a really nicely done integration with electronics. The LED display will hopefully be subtle and un-tacky.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 1:38 PM
BANNED

good to see that stupid 'you are beautiful' thing come down... hopefully it won't be too long before we can actually use that side of state!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 10:19 PM

...this whole Block 37 project is going to be hard to judge until it is complete and operating (ie: next year) ....a lot of the visual elements of this building are going to be in the neon and other "Times Square" effects that are planned for the facade.....with the addition of the Carson's re-hab ....2009 is going to be a blockbuster year for State St. ........also, (a little off topic but....).......the 7th floor of the Carson's (Sullivan) Building is now open to the public as an art gallery space.....there are some great State St. views from the windows up there........

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 1:18 PM

Sept 09

Classic reflection

Trees !

Yet another protest march.

Looks prmising

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
God bless 'em. Even if quixotic, it's important to propagate the public notion that protest marches are possible and potentially effective in certain situations, whether the fight is for tangible or for intangible cultural treasures. Here, I'm still holding out hope that the past is revived in at least some small way (more than just baking Frango's upstairs) by the Macy's corporate goons. Even as small a gesture as changing all Macy's shopping bags / local logos to dark green would make me happy (that one's not gonna happen though).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:23 PM

I didnt like the panels in the rendering, but in person they dont look so bad, even good in the sunlight. This building is turning out to be less offensive than I had imagined, particularly in person. It could have been better, but it could have been much, much worse.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:41 PM

^ If it were any worse, I'd rather have a field of dust like the one that used to be there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:10 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

9/19

The reflections on the South face are gonna be freaky.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 1:23 PM

ARCHITECTURE

22 West Washington doesn't reflect strong streetscape
By Blair Kamin Tribune critic | Chicago Tribune critic
September 21, 2008

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...0,303612.story

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 2:04 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Good encapsulation of all those design mutations.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 3:14 AM

Curtains open 2morrow morning @ 5am Live Broadcast from the CBS Studio dubbed (CBS2 Broadcast Center) HD

Everyone is invited to come join the party at across the Daley Center Plaza 2morrow morning...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Still? Aren't there more important things in the world to protest than the name and logo of a department store?...Years after the freakin' change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive