HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:30 AM
TL;DR

D'oh... the Industrial Canal is at lake level.

Piety Arch

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 30, 2012 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:52 PM

Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The Seabrook locks will stay open 365 days a year and only close before a hurricane approaches - so there is no worry about boats not having access to the Lake once complete.
The Seabrook Gate is a gate, far different from a lock, but Blitzen is right here anyway. It's only there in case the lake levels rise enough to put the canal in danger, which probably would only be with some form of extreme wind blowing water into lake ponchatrain and through the intracoastal waterway (also has gates nown down at the "funnel").

The only locks that you have to go through that would be a pain for recreational vessels are those going into the river since the river runs on average 14 feet higher than sea level (also lake level), but only large yachts are able to handle the dangers of the river though you see some smaller boats out there from time to time, I'd be scared to shit even on my dad's fairly sizable hatteras. Too much debris, etc.

There's already a dry storage, boat stacking facility on the Industrial Canal up near Trinity Yachts and recreational vessels regularly go out of the Canal into the lake. I've actually navigated my dad's Hatteras down the Intracoastal, through the Industrial Canal and into the Lake which was a lot of fun, but the currents in the Canal are a bitch!!! You have currents coming from the lake, the locks at the river, and down the intracoastal. Didn't help that we had to wait at the high rise for a f****ing train for a few hours.

-----

Anyway, I saw that they're gutting out the old Rue de al Course on Carondelet at Perdido today. I can't recall if there's anything planned for it. Anyone else??

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
-----

Anyway, I saw that they're gutting out the old Rue de al Course on Carondelet at Perdido today. I can't recall if there's anything planned for it. Anyone else??
Address ?

New Orleans Children's Hospital confirms plan to buy empty adolescent hospital

Even more health jobs on the way!
http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf..._hospital.html

Heres whats going in the old Deanies!

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2012/...nies-space.php

Ignatius Eatery to Open in Old Rue Space This Month

As expected, the former Magazine Street location of Rue de la Course is about to become Ignatius Eatery. That location of the coffee shop closed at the beginning of this year, with unconfirmed reports that Ignatius, currently located at Magazine and Milan, would be moving down the street. According to a sign on the newspaper-covered door, and confirmed via e-mail, the new Ignatius location is expected to open on April 19.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:13 PM

Downtown rue

The old Rue downtown is literally on the corner of Perdido and Carondelet....a building or so down from Singha and across Perdido from Union Savings and Loan (which is stuck in a 1950's time warp). It has been almost untouched since K-bitch and even still had big glass jars of coffee beans with Rue stickers on them in the window until they started gutting it today.

http://g.co/maps/5ught

Thats the google street view

Last edited by IceCream; Mar 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM. Reason: goog

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:26 PM

re: Downtown rue

I missed this. What is the Downtown Rue going to be? I've looked in there a handful of times after eating in Singha, and it looks like it's an attractive space.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
...Union Savings and Loan (which is stuck in a 1950's time warp).
LOL @ Union Saings and Loan. So true.

On another note, never paid much attention before, but look how pedestrian unfriendly One Shell Square is. It was obviously built for a time when people drove into the CBD for work and drove out at the end of the work day. Some ground level retail, food, coffee would help. I know for security, they want to restrict who enters the building, but just a few more main entrances would make it less barren, and just put the security before the elevators like most other modern buildings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:34 PM

Astrodome vs Superdome

I came across this article in the local Houston news, which talks about their dilemma about what to do with the abandoned Astrodome.

This could have been us either now or a few years down the road, contemplating what to do with the Superdome, had we built a brand new stadium with all of the bells and whistles of modern technology. Looks like we got just that without having to leave our city's icon to rot .

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
LOL @ Union Savings and Loan. So true.
Hey! I like the Union Savings & Loan building. I wish it was kept in better shape but I think it is a great example of midcentury modern. That said, I googled "Union Savings and Loan New Orleans" and apparently they don't have a website. So I guess I must grudgingly admit that they are definitely stuck in a time warp.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
NOLA Razorback

Does anyone know what happened to Curbed opening a location in the city?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 12:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Curbed opening a location in the city?
No idea! Think their eater brand is doing much better.

BTW not to toot our own horn, but this board is pretty damn great when it come to real estate and development news.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Hey! I like the Union Savings & Loan building. I wish it was kept in better shape but I think it is a great example of midcentury modern. That said, I googled "Union Savings and Loan New Orleans" and apparently they don't have a website. So I guess I must grudgingly admit that they are definitely stuck in a time warp.

LOL me and my girlfriend love walking by this building. it's really cool looking and harkens back to the mad men era (we're big mad men fans).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
BTW not to toot our own horn, but this board is pretty damn great when it come to real estate and development news.
You've played an integral role in updating this board with interesting news. It also helps thats there much more going on these days compared to say 4 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
LOL @ Union Saings and Loan. So true.

On another note, never paid much attention before, but look how pedestrian unfriendly One Shell Square is. It was obviously built for a time when people drove into the CBD for work and drove out at the end of the work day. Some ground level retail, food, coffee would help. I know for security, they want to restrict who enters the building, but just a few more main entrances would make it less barren, and just put the security before the elevators like most other modern buildings.
One Shell Square is remarkably contextual, considering. Unlike many other 60s boxes, the architects (SOM) added a mid-rise portion on the side so that there was a gradual stepping-down to the 4-5 story traditional buildings of the CBD. The front plaza is also a grand public space - it sucked when it was fenced off, but now that it's open, it's a really nice area (although they should put in some trees if possible for shade). The lower stairs that are shaded always have people sitting on them, especially at lunch time.

Plus, the building is clad in marble, so the material itself is beautiful to look at - even on blank walls. And the building does have ground level retail! There's a NY deli on the St. Charles side.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
You've played an integral role in updating this board with interesting news. It also helps thats there much more going on these days compared to say 4 years ago.
Thanks! And I agree lol

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
LOL me and my girlfriend love walking by this building. it's really cool looking and harkens back to the mad men era (we're big mad men fans).
A little off topic but the costume designer for mad men is always in New Orleans.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...r-janie-bryant

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:01 PM

Article on nola.com about housing market: http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...market_is.html

Says that Wal-Mart is planned for both Gentilly Woods and New Orleans East, so maybe that's confirmed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 12:24 AM
TL;DR

Also:

Quote:
Chipotle at the Elmwood Shopping Center

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:25 PM
-

Glad to see HHGregg making its way here too!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Glad to see HHGregg making its way here too!
Never heard of them. Wiil have to check for a website.

Article about the Superdome on yahoo:
He makes a halfway decent argument that it's the most important stadium in existence. But he also says that the city had no real attachment to it pre-storm.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...orleans_033112

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:20 PM
TL;DR

hhgregg is basically another Best Buy. If they're willing to open up in the city, I'll be thrilled.

The Superdome is probably the city's most recognizable landmark, probably even more well-known than the St. Louis Cathedral. I'm glad the city/Bensons are finally starting to understand that the Dome needs to tie into the city instead of being isolated by 8-lane mega-roads and offramps. I'm also glad we aren't treating it like one more piece of disposable architecture. European cities have landmarks they would never dream of tearing down - even if they aren't quite up to modern standards, the cities' denizens accept that without question. Of course, they also don't have sports teams that use a threat of relocation to blackmail cities into using taxpayer dollars to give them new stadiums.

Also... went by the Keller Library today in Broadmoor and got a coffee from Green Dot. Everybody should go check it out! It's a beautiful piece of modern design that successfully resolves many of the issues with modernism in NOLA. My only gripe is that the bike parking is hard to find... but that's pretty minor. That whole Broadmoor area has such potential, with beautiful architecture, proximity to the CBD, and relatively low crime rates. The neighborhood is also pushing for a roundabout at the intersection of Napoleon/Broad/Fontainebleau, which will really make that area into a neighborhood center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations