HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:52 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
If it were pre-cast concret, poured-in-place, or EIFS it would be done now.

Good things take time.
True. And this project does at least 4 things:

1. Continues the string of development connecting GSU with its new dorms @ Piedmont/J.W. Dobbs
2. Creates Downtown living space (and as an added bonus, close to GSU, which is good for parents of GSU students who want to invest in condos)
3. Replaces the abandoned Palomont Motor Lodge
4. Street-level retail anyone?

And EIFS?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
3. Replaces the abandoned Palomont Motor Lodge
This is such a huge win. Much better.

Any word on the lot where the old steakhouse sat on the northwest corner of Auburn & Piedmont? It's just been a couple of piles of bricks since an SUV ran into it and they tore it down (circa 2001 or 2?)

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoDean View Post
The Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge area is ripe for redevelopment, it would seem like an enterprising developer would find large tracts appropriate for mixed-use in the area.

Beazer is also building some homes just up Cheshire Bridge...
There's a LOT of property down in those old industrial areas, like down where the Nursery is. Also a great thing about Cheshire Bridge is that it seems to run on a natural ridge, and has big drop offs along several stretches, you could build midrise condos on 2-3 story parking decks and keep the first residential floor at street level without too much ground work.

There's also that floodplain area by the river, and a undevlopable big green space that runs back into the woods there (My house in Morningside used to back up to the woods and it's pretty extensive). That would make a great park, especially if they could develop some park amenities on that underutlized DOT land there.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 7:08 AM
Wahoo Wah

The only problem with the Cheshire Bridge area is an utter lack of connectivity. It's perhaps even worse than Peachtree in Buckhead, in that i only a solitary linear road passes through the area, and it has only three exits into greater Buckhead along its entire length (@ Buford Highway, @ Piedmont, and Lindbergh).

If this strip is built up without the city doing something about better connectivity there over to Piedmont or among the existing streets west of it (across the train tracks, etc.) to create parallel routes, both Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh are going to be bigger clusterfucks than they are now, and they're already atrocious in rush hour.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 4:25 AM

The Park at East Paces

Just noticed the advertisement for this development in the Atlanta magazine. It's a mixture of townhomes and condos. Construction is well underway on this project. Near my home so I jog by it daily. Here's the link: http://www.parkeastpaces.com/

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 2:16 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
Taken 5/8/2007:

What annoys me is that this building has seemingly taken forever to be built...
Holy mother of what - is that across from the ARC where the old Palamor Hotel was? That is something that I was very unexpected to see.

Does anyone have any updates on the Oakland Park condo on Memorial? I would truly love to see some updates - also if anyone would mind dropping by my house to take a picture of it (see what my renters are up to)

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:07 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
The only problem with the Cheshire Bridge area is an utter lack of connectivity. It's perhaps even worse than Peachtree in Buckhead, in that i only a solitary linear road passes through the area, and it has only three exits into greater Buckhead along its entire length (@ Buford Highway, @ Piedmont, and Lindbergh).

If this strip is built up without the city doing something about better connectivity there over to Piedmont or among the existing streets west of it (across the train tracks, etc.) to create parallel routes, both Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh are going to be bigger clusterfucks than they are now, and they're already atrocious in rush hour.
Cheshire Bridge needs a median from Piedmont (where the intersection needs some major improvement crossing over to Monroe) all the way to I-85 with only occasional left turn lanes. The Lavista past the I-85 interchange to Buford Hwy is particularly vexing. The proposed GA400/85 intersection improvement would go a long way to improving things (how is that progressing Andrea?)

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 7:20 PM

More CastleberryHill activity...

Kenneth Green is planning a mixed use development at 213 Walker Street (for information only) which has projections of 7200 sq ft. of retail, 17000 sq. ft of residential units. They are planning 24 parking spaces. There are plans for 8 residential units plus a studio. The lot is currently empty. 1st level of the building will house parking and a small retail area. The 2nd level will be for retail with the 3rd & 4th levels as residential units. The residential units will cost approximately $220/sq feet up (or whatever the market dictates). Jim Schneider inquired about ownership of retail space and Kate asked the developers to consider only 3 levels with high ceilings. Jim Schneider also inquired about dumpsters for garbage. The developers mentioned that they are before the general body for feedback and will take all comments into consideration. Mike mentioned that a zero lot line and no green space will not compliment the neighborhood. The timeframe for the project is 18 months from now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:28 PM

Lavista Walk
238 apartments, 132 townhomes and 11,000 sf retail

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:24 PM
Google Steffen Thomas

Does anyone know what Georgia Power is building at their site in Virginia Highlands? They have cleared a quite a large area...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:39 PM

Wood Partners, Arsenal Starting $34M Project

Last updated: June 20, 2007 08:08am
By Natalie Keith
ATLANTA-Construction is expected to begin in the coming weeks on Alta Coventry Station, a $33.5-million, 322-unit work force housing complex.

Work has begun to clear the 17.5-acre site along Greenbriar Parkway in preparation for vertical construction. The project will include one-, two- and three-bedroom units with an average of 1,092 sf. It is expected to be completed in fall 2008. It will also include a swimming pool, fitness center, business center, picnic area and clubhouse.

The project is a joint venture of locally based Wood Partners and Arsenal Real Estate Funds of Morristown, NJ, which is investing $6.4 million in the project. "Work force housing is a great niche to be in. There's a high demand for that type of housing," Arsenal Real Estate Funds' partner John Maurer tells GlobeSt.com.

The project is part of the Atlanta Development Authority's master-planned community of Coventry Station, which will include single-family homes, senior rental units, townhouses and a commercial village with lofts above retail space. The development site is located along Interstate 285, five miles from Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport and 7.5 miles from Downtown. Target rents for the multifamily project have not yet been established, but 20% of the units will be rented to residents earning less than 50% of the area's median income. "The complex is located in an area where there is significant demand for workforce housing," Maurer says.

Arsenal is investing into its third work force project. In April, the company announced $10.25 million in financing for two projects in San Antonio. "The economy continues to perform well and job growth is strong," Maurer says. "Yet, at the same time, the residential real estate boom of the early 2000s has priced many potential buyers out of the market and the collapse of the subprime lending industry has cut off many would-be buyers from home ownership."

Copyright © 2007 ALM Properties, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown View Post
Does anyone know what Georgia Power is building at their site in Virginia Highlands? They have cleared a quite a large area...
I haven't been by there in a while to see what clearing it is you're talking about, but I heard a while back that the GA Power land on Ponce de Leon Place in the Highlands (if that's what you're talking about) is going to be converted into one of the Beltline parks. Can anyone else confirm that?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 PM

GA powersubstaion

In the last Virginia-Highland newsletter they said GA power wants to build a new substation on their property. "Field of Dreams" park (ode to old Ponce de Leon Ballpark) is the park to be built along the beltline, somewhere around greenwood and ponce place.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:27 PM

According to the Beltline website, Field of Dreams is supposed to be 8 acres. Looking on Google Earth at the Beltline section that runs parallel to Ponce Place, I'm trying to see where it's supposed to go. Isn't there a bunch new construction condos/lofts/townhouses along Greenwood between Ponce Place and the Beltline. Everything south of Greenwood are those new lofts/townhomes, the apartment complex, Urban Body Fitness and the businesses that front Ponce. So that leaves north of Greenwood. If it's not the GA Power site, then all that's left is what looks like a couple of warehouses. Would that be 8 acres? I'll have to go by there and check it out.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:43 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtiVaHiAtl View Post
In the last Virginia-Highland newsletter they said GA power wants to build a new substation on their property. "Field of Dreams" park (ode to old Ponce de Leon Ballpark) is the park to be built along the beltline, somewhere around greenwood and ponce place.
Now the question is this:

If you build it, will they come?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 2:57 PM

Post Alexander: Under Construction

Here is another apartment community for Buckhead. Located on Lenox road right in front of the senior high-rise development that is currently being built. Not that good at posting pics so here's the link http://www.postproperties.com/Apartm...ander&Type=PAH

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 4:24 PM

Castleberry Hills news?

"Kenneth Green is planning a mixed use development at 213 Walker Street (for information only) which has projections of 7200 sq ft. of retail, 17000 sq. ft of residential units."

Any new info on this? I just bought a place at DUO in Castleberry Hills and can't wait for projects like this to continue to transform the area for the better. The Castleberry Hills website is terrible and really doesn't mention any of the upcoming projects. I’m really excited to move back in town!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 4:45 PM

I love Castleberry hill area. Is it generally cheaper to purchase a place there compared to midtown or even downtown itself?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 11:59 PM

Well it all depends on what you want. There are million+ lofts there but also 160ish 1 bedrooms available. I think in general it's going to be cheaper than midtown and buckhead, but I think that will change as soon as it builds out a bit and the retail moves in. I paid about 190 per squar foot which was a killer deal. Castleberry point will have retail and will be right down the street plus the place wolfe was talking about. I love the idea of walking out of my door, and having multiple places to hang out/eat/shop right there. Also, and this might change, there isn't that much traffic. You can walk, jog, or bike around and not worry about getting run over. The only people that drive to Castleberry, seem to live in Castleberry. I can't even describe how excited I am to move in there (I close July 31st, the wait is killing me).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 1:23 AM
Reliable Source

How's the food in that Mexican upsacale cantina?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta