HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:40 AM

removed - wrong link

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:04 AM

good point cokezero...will the glass curtainwall be gray?? or more the blue in the rendering?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
But go to ANY modern city, especially ones that are as heralded on this site as Chicago, NYC, Boston, and lots of the condo buildings are inherently the same in the way they look. I think Atlanta needs buildings like these to fill in the gaps and provide a certain functionality. We have plenty of good looking office buildings to spice things up, but we need these monotonous (if you want to call them that) condo buildings to help things out. That being said, I think that rendering looks great, and if all 3 buildings are built, that area is going to be really cool.
Agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint (pun!). Those four similar buildings in a cluster screams density and big city. Yummy.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe View Post
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot. I think we should start a new thread just for that so the rest of us can be spared.
Amusingly, your own post is somewhat whiney.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:58 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
Novare's website for ViewPoint is finally fully active tonight with floorplans and all! It appears to have a much greater percentage of 1 BR + Dens and 2 BR homes than any other Novare project at this pricepoint. Take a look, it's quite impressive.

ViewPoint

This is from their site - I believe it is the first official rendering of all three towers.
Has anyone else noticed that under the area "floor plans and views" the building looks very different than in the rendering?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:37 PM

Related Readies Nine-Tower Buckhead Project

UPDATE Last updated: March 30, 2007 06:33am

By Melissa Kress

ATLANTA-Marking its entrance into the metro area, the Related Group of Miami is penciling the start for CityPlace Buckhead, a nine-tower condominium project. Work will begin on the first phase of the project in late summer, according to a company spokeswoman.

All total CityPlace Buckhead will contain 3,800 units. The towers will rise on 16 acres at the intersection of Roxboro and East Place Ferry roads. Arquitectonica has been tapped to design the project.

One CityPlace, phase one of the development, will feature a 29-story tower with 230 condos and 11 townhomes. One-bedroom units will range from 935 sf to 990 sf, two-bedroom units from 1,290 sf to 1,400 sf and three-bedroom units up to 1,900 sf, according to Related. The company puts unit prices starting in the $400,000s to more than $1 million for penthouses and townhouse units. Related executives are targeting 2009 for completion of One CityPlace.

The company adds the second phase will be 2:CP and will be geared toward first-time homebuyers with condos starting in the $200,000s. The spokeswoman tells GlobeSt.com CityPlace will also feature resident-focused retail, with such possible services as a coffee shop and dry cleaner.She adds there is no project timeline or estimated development cost. GlobeSt.com previously reported that local general contractors estimated the hard construction costs could be in the $250-million to $300-million range.

The Atlanta City Council approved rezoning for the development in September. At that time, Jorge M. Perez, president of Related, said in a statement, “This means that we can move forward with our vision for Atlanta. With the twin forces of rapid population growth and increased demand for in-town living in Atlanta, we are confident that there is a strong market of people who will want to call our condominiums home.”

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedaded View Post
Wish we could've had #5
Yes, that NASCAR building is far superior to the WOC. Having I.M. Pei involved, whether he actually designed it or not, seems to have made a difference. It's very Pei-ish.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:53 AM

I don't like it, although ours wan't that impressive either!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie View Post
Yes, that NASCAR building is far superior to the WOC. Having I.M. Pei involved, whether he actually designed it or not, seems to have made a difference. It's very Pei-ish.
I'm still baffled that NASCAR put its museum in Charlotte. Stock car racing's roots are much more closely associated with Atlanta, not to mention the fact that they'd get a lot more visitors here.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:11 PM
You've got it made!

^Charlotte deserves it!!

Regardless of Georgia's legal issues it had! You can't compare the two in terms of relation to the sport! Charlotte takes the cake, having over 70 percent combined employment of all three major series within the area! And, even though it works for other sports, having it right next to Lowe's Motor Speedway is a huge plus!! The International Motor Sports Hall of Fame sits adjacent to Talladega Superspeedway and gives tours of the speedway. I personally wish it were in Atlanta... I dont like some of the stats that Charlotte used to lure it, saying that it was located in a 500 mile radius of half the total population in the US!!! That doesn't mean shit to a city who has the most-used airport in the world, and has much more interstate!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfd24 View Post
^Charlotte deserves it!!

Regardless of Georgia's legal issues it had! You can't compare the two in terms of relation to the sport! Charlotte takes the cake, ...
Oh, I would beg to differ. We're talking about a museum, and stock car racing's traditional roots are in Atlanta, not Charlotte.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:42 PM
You've got it made!

^

Traditional roots?? Explain... Atlanta played a small role as far as what began in Daytona Beach. Trust me. Charlotte alone, not including Winston-Salem, Wilkes County (moonshine capital), and Rockingham, has the leverage. See for yourself

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:33 PM

Whoever wrote that must have been from North Carolina. Atlanta was known as the Indianapolis of the South in the old days, and Lakewood was the largest track in the South. Check out Neal Thompson's detailed book, Driving With The Devil, to learn about how stock car racing got its start here. Red Vogt's garage was right down on Spring Street, and Raymond Parks' headquarters were over on Northside Drive at Hemphill. The top drivers all hailed from around these parts.

In the early days when you heard stock car racing you thought of Atlanta.

From the NASCAR website:

Quote:
And as great of an example as (Junior) Johnson is as a bridge from bootlegging to NASCAR racing, he may not be as good an example as were the Fabulous Flock Brothers -- Bob, Fonty and Tim.

They were bootleggers. Actually their uncle Peachtree Williams was the bootlegger and the two older Flock boys -- Bob and Fonty -- were his drivers. They came from their home in Ft. Payne, Ala., to make moonshine runs in rural Georgia back during the prohibition era.

When they were not making runs they talked with other drivers about which car was the fastest. And that talk led to NASCAR ... if you follow the progression.

According to the story the drivers would find a pasture field somewhere and drive around in circles -- about a half mile circle -- until they had worn out a path in the grass. Then they would race.

The Flocks were among the instigators of this racing. And the racing grew by word of mouth as a small crowd got a little larger and larger until some entrepreneurial people started building race tracks. It is from those tracks that NASCAR grew.

The Flock family as a whole was a very interesting family. There were eight children born to Lee and Maudie Flock and many of them were colorful, to say the least.

Carl, the oldest boy, was a speedboat racer. Reo, one of the girls, was a wing-walking daredevil. She also was a stunt parachutist. Another sister, Ethel, was a race car driver with more than 100 races. She had one Grand National (the precursor of NASCAR's Winston Cup) start and finished 11th.

Then there was the trio of Flock boys that actually made it onto the NASCAR circuit -- Bob, Fonty and Tim.

Bob, the oldest, and Fonty got into racing first. They were competitors in the 'moonshine' races held in pastures in Georgia, which probably was the genesis of what is now NASCAR. They both drove those circuits in the years before NASCAR came along in 1949.
http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/head....ga/index.html

Quote:
Georgia played a big part in NASCAR's success, right from the start. Dawson County native Raymond Parks and Atlanta garage owner Louis "Red" Vogt had prominent roles in the formation of Bill France's new sanctioning body.

Parks, who owned cars driven by France in the '40s, provided financial assistance -- and was the owner for the 1949 Strictly Stock championship won by Red Byron. Vogt, who was Parks' chief mechanic and car designer, reportedly came up with the phrase "National Association for Stock Car Automobile Racing" during that famous 1947 meeting in France's Daytona Beach garage.

Last edited by Andrea; Mar 31, 2007 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 7:44 PM
Go Thrashers

I too, think its stupid that museum is getting built in Charlotte. It would have way more visitors in Atlanta or Daytona. The only time its going to reach its full potential is during the races. Atlanta and Daytona both have much higher tourist traffic, not to mention just more traffic in general. Charlotte must have really wanted it.
Isn't it being payed for completely by the tax payers?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Not to belittle Charlotte being awarded the museum, but I can't stand NASCAR or any kind of auto racing. It's tied with golf as the slowest, most boring sport known to man. Give me the Final Four over the Redneck Mu-zeum any day...

Atlanta didn't need it really, though it would have been a big draw for some good 'ole county folk to visit Atlanta. A city is always glad to add another big name attraction to its tourism list, but Charlotte needed it more. Atlanta has so much already...

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; Mar 31, 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Whoever wrote that must have been from North Carolina. Atlanta was known as the Indianapolis of the South in the old days,
Oh please!!!!!!!!!! give me a break with the whole Atlanta being the so and so of the south. first its the New York of the South, then its the L.A. of the South, and now it is or use to be the Indianapolis of the South. I mean, Im always on Atlanta side but that "insert word here" of the South phrase is getting lame and redundant.

And please Let that NASCAR crap go. Its over. Charlotte won. I don't know anyone, who knows someone, who knows somebody else thats acually pissed about not getting the Museum.

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I've never heard that one either, but I'm pretty sure Andrea isn't sitting there making it up. It sounds like she knows of what she types...why are people so quick to doubt what is posted here? I mean...if you don't have some factual information that disputes what someone posts, there really is no basis for for attempting to refute his/her statements.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I've never heard that one either, but I'm pretty sure Andrea isn't sitting there making it up. It sounds like she knows of what she types...why are people so quick to doubt what is posted here? I mean...if you don't have some factual information that disputes what someone posts, there really is no basis for for attempting to refute his/her statements.
Im not saying that she is wrong. I believe her. Im just tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so an so of the South" Its lame. And if I thought she was wrong I'm not about to do 3 hours of internet research and post a damn article just to prove someone on a forum wrong.......I have better things to do.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
Im not saying that she is wrong. I believe her. Im just tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so an so of the South" Its lame. And if I thought she was wrong I'm not about to do 3 hours of internet research and post a damn article just to prove someone on a forum wrong.......I have better things to do.
Sorry you're getting tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so and so of the South", but, Atlanta IS the so and so of the South.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 11:55 PM

maybe you shouldn't be reading the "Atlanta Project Thread" if you don't like hearing stuff about Atlanta...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta