HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:35 AM

The city that deserves a far better hand than the one it was dealt. Incredible pictures to showcase incredible potential.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:26 PM
Red brick mama.

Detroit has so much of what other cities try so hard to emulate. If it could get its act together, it would have a leg up on 90% of American cities.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
#2 and #3 look far too hilly to have been taken in Essex County.
That's what I was thinking too. Looks more like Elgin County or eastward.

To other forumers, I know those pictures don't look hilly, but Essex County to the SE of Downtown Detroit is flatter than Kansas. A few thousand years ago it was the bottom of a lake.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Excellent thread. Detroit has so many great buildings downtown. It's a shame so much focus is put on the abandoned areas instead.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:13 PM
Closed account

Great work thundertubs! Detroit has such great bones, she just needs a little love.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Detroit has so much of what other cities try so hard to emulate. If it could get its act together, it would have a leg up on 90% of American cities.
LOL & WTF
What does Detroit have that so many other cities are trying so hard to emulate? I have never heard or read anything about something Detroit has the other cities could only wish for.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
And, save for the first few, this is just in parts of the financial district, downtown. Thundertubs, did you happen to get any shots of Greektown, Campus Martius, Capitol and Harmonie Parks, etc...anything else outside of the financial district?
We took a big loop around downtown, on both sides of Woodward, down to Hart Plaza, and up to Grand River, but not as far north as Grand Circus Park. Is that all considered the Financial District? It seems like that's pretty much the bulk of the intact part of downtown.

My friend and I had lunch in Mexicantown, and drove through the Cass Corridor and Midtown/Wayne State area, but I didn't get photos of those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Are those farm pictures at the beginning from Windsor?
The countryside pictures were taken while approaching Windsor. I'm not sure of the boundaries of Essex County, but the hilly shots weren't more than 20 minutes outside of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinChelseaNYC View Post
I love that Penobscot Building! It struts with brawn and pride.
I too was quite taken with the Penobscot Building. It is a classy and powerful building, fit to anchor a metropolis (it was the tallest in MI before the Ren Center).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
LOL & WTF
What does Detroit have that so many other cities are trying so hard to emulate? I have never heard or read anything about something Detroit has the other cities could only wish for.
I think the poster means the historic architecture downtown. Let's just leave it at that. (I'm trying to head this off at the pass. I rather not have my thread turn into a back-and-forth about the state of Detroit. We've had enough of those)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
LOL & WTF
How about a dense core, filled with incredible architecture and pretty good urban context?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
How about a dense core, filled with incredible architecture and pretty good urban context?
Indeed. That pretty much says it, so like Thundertubs said, let's leave it at that and enjoy the photos.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:29 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
We took a big loop around downtown, on both sides of Woodward, down to Hart Plaza, and up to Grand River, but not as far north as Grand Circus Park. Is that all considered the Financial District? It seems like that's pretty much the bulk of the intact part of downtown.
It's also the part of town most dead after five. Like in most any city, the most active hoods are those right outside the financial district, which only consists of office buildings. You missed Greektown, Broadway and the rest.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:02 PM
Corporate logo

It always amazes me when I see pictures of downtown Detroit of how devoid of people the city is. But a nice tour nonetheless.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:06 PM
Honored Member

When I was in New York's financial district a few years ago, I remembered it being really empty as well. Most financial districts are virtually empty after 5:00.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:27 PM

Quote:
=Thundertubs;4434622
Hopefully they can save this building. If not, that's pretty much the end of Detroit as a major hub, as well as an important American city!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:51 PM

Impressive old buildings!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:11 PM

What's wrong with ruin?
People travel all over the world to see ruins in Rome, Italy and other Italian and Greek cities.
Have you heard of the Roman Forum? People pay money to tour these sites.
Why can't we just let it rot, instead of tear it down for another parking garage, inner-city big box store, or some less architecturally significant building?
Why do urban dwellers need to feel like they are suburban too?
Why can't we see beyond the $$ ?
Italy has been a round a long time, and I don't see that the country has been architecturally ruined due to the fact that many beautiful buildings are allowed to whither away. If you don't have the funds to fix it, then you don't have the funds.
Oh yeah, my wife wants me to buy her a new Mercedes and remodel the kitchen, plus my kids need their tuition paid.

I guess tearing down a landmark makes sense since my wife says she'll let me have it more often if I start buying her more things. She wants me to tear that scary creepy thing down and make it into something that'll generate her income, so when I kick off, she needn't worry about paying her annual trip to Barbados.

Sincerely,
Rotting building property owner/Real Estate Developer

Sex>Architecture

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:53 AM

Amazing shots... but where are all the people at? I only saw pedestrians in a few photos.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:18 AM

sweet pictures...Detroit has some amazing buildings, and some good density. It's a shame about the Michigan central depot though, it would be great if somehow it could be saved.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:38 AM

Amazing structures!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 1:30 AM

Great shots of my hometown!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 9:21 PM

Just got done reading an article in TIME called "The Tragedy of Detroit." It really is a tragedy to see such an established city dwindle the way it has, especially for the reasons laid out in the article. I'd love to see Detroit turn around. Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos