HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:10 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Traffic lights on Main would be fine since it's a regular arterial city street, unlike Brookside which becomes a full on 4 lane provincial trunk highway around that point.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:22 PM

One item I think is very important, which you guys are touching on, is the connection between the Perimeter and the beltway. There should be freeway connections between the two.

McPhillips or Route 90, which are both PTH's should be the connections on the north side. Also 59. Again McPhillips long term is the freeway to Selkirk.

South end would be 59 again and Kenaston?

CCW, Hwy 6, and whatever the Sterling Lyon extension thing is in the west.

CPT, Fermor in the east.

Also, very similar conversation happening in at least 3 threads right now haha.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 7:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Also, very similar conversation happening in at least 3 threads right now haha.
Yes, and I for one am getting confused as I forget where I have placed some comments.

That and I don't think that my comments are getting the attention they deserve.

.....did I mention I am confused
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:10 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, and I for one am getting confused as I forget where I have placed some comments.

That and I don't think that my comments are getting the attention they deserve.

.....did I mention I am confused
I think it's best that we move the CPT discussion to its now revived thread at this point.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:40 PM

Hahah, yes I will post my fancy freeway map in the CPT thread shortly.

And Biff your comments ALWAYS draw lots of attention.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

Is the idea for the Fort Rouge AT bridge to link up with Hargrave/Carlton bike lanes? The issue with Hargrave is the blocks between St. Mary and Portage are already so tight, it's not great unless the shrink the sidewalk on the side along BellMTS Place (:|)

As for the "greenways" - Grosvenor is another problem one. It's 'fine' in the River Heights Portion, but once you're past Cambridge going east, it's just sharrows which are useless, and from Harrow to Wellington, it's so tight and packed with cars, it's EXTREMELY dangerous. The lanes are so narrow. And good luck taking a lane of parking out there.

So.. once CPT and CCW link up, eventually connect to Lag, Bishop, Kenaston, etc.... Are we just going to rename them to one thing? Like can you imagine having a full ring road that has 17 different names at different places. At the very least so we don't have to do more address changing... call the whole trail CPT or a "Route ##" and leave street names the same.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Traffic lights on Main would be fine since it's a regular arterial city street, unlike Brookside which becomes a full on 4 lane provincial trunk highway around that point.
Oh I agree with you. That said the residents that will have to stop at the light that live in the communities hosting the open houses on the CPT extension are likely to show up and voice their opposition.

--

Speaking on the CPT extension, I forgot to mention the former agricultural land near CPT and McPhillips is actively under development now as a single family residential community. Construction of the first wave of houses is well underway.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:58 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Oh I agree with you. That said the residents that will have to stop at the light that live in the communities hosting the open houses on the CPT extension are likely to show up and voice their opposition.
I don't think they'd have too much to complain about... a single set of lights is no different than what exists now, and the interchange will dramatically improve traffic flow in general around there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I don't know if this was known and posted here or in another thread, but I took a drive around today and drove on Fermor, and as I was heading towards the Plessis overpass, I noticed they opened up the left lane again after 3 years of being blocked up. Not sure when that happened but traffic is flowing normally again.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I don't know if this was known and posted here or in another thread, but I took a drive around today and drove on Fermor, and as I was heading towards the Plessis overpass, I noticed they opened up the left lane again after 3 years of being blocked up. Not sure when that happened but traffic is flowing normally again.
Its been a few months, if you go under the overpass you see where the contractor has put in steel trusses and beams to reinforce the concrete.

There is another posting in one of the topics here where apparently CN was not willing to give the contractor the time slots they needed cross between the track in a timely fashion to do the work in a timely fashion thus dragging the work out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:47 AM

Speaking of Fermor, is anyone here aware of which decade the city is planning to resurface Fermor east of Lagimodiere? It is in pathetic shape and has been for a long time now. And the sad thing is when heading EB toward Lag it gets bad right at the 'Welcome to Winnipeg' sign.

If the time ever does come to give Fermor some much needed attention...maybe they can also repair the NB Lag to EB Fermor merge lane...at least to the point that it doesn't resemble the surface of the moon.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:59 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Speaking of Fermor, is anyone here aware of which decade the city is planning to resurface Fermor east of Lagimodiere? It is in pathetic shape and has been for a long time now. And the sad thing is when heading EB toward Lag it gets bad right at the 'Welcome to Winnipeg' sign.
That's because that's literally the boundary of Winnipeg's responsibility. The province is responsible for the road leading up to the sign.

I think there are worse roads in Winnipeg though, so..

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That's because that's literally the boundary of Winnipeg's responsibility. The province is responsible for the road leading up to the sign.
That's why it's so sad....the fact it gets bad right at the sign is representative to locals and visitors alike of just how poorly Winnipeg maintains it's roads. And it's part of the Trans Canada to boot...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Fermor Ave east of Lagimodiere is being planned for twinning sometime around 2020. That is probably why they are hesitant to spend any dollars to repave.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:23 PM

There's also a new to be going in south of Lag. They knocked down all the trees a couple years ago. There is an interchange planned for the single access point between Fermor and The overpass. Probably future interchange of course.

The City is most definitely holding off on anything with Fermor in a similar way they are holding off on the Kenaston widening. Minimum maintenance until the full project happens.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Speaking of Kapyong, the demolition tender should be out in July.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:00 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
There's also a new to be going in south of Lag. They knocked down all the trees a couple years ago. There is an interchange planned for the single access point between Fermor and The overpass. Probably future interchange of course.

The City is most definitely holding off on anything with Fermor in a similar way they are holding off on the Kenaston widening. Minimum maintenance until the full project happens.
A new what?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:12 PM

Oops sorry. A new development. Housing with some commercial I believe.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:21 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I would hope that Fermor and Lagimodiere is not too far down the list of intersections that will eventually become interchanges... I find it to be pretty treacherous with the high speeds and relatively high traffic volumes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
There's also a new to be going in south of Lag. They knocked down all the trees a couple years ago. There is an interchange planned for the single access point between Fermor and The overpass. Probably future interchange set of traffic lights of course.
Fixed that up to reflect what will likely happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I would hope that Fermor and Lagimodiere is not too far down the list of intersections that will eventually become interchanges...
Without starting to list specific intersections inside Winnipeg boundaries for future grade separation I would be surprised if Lag and Fermor even cracks the top ten. I count 7 on Bishop alone and another 5 on CPT without the build out between Lag and the east Perimeter. It comes back to having to make tough choices. If you, as the City, have money to build only one grade separation on Lag where do you put it? Lag and Bishop? Lag and Regent? Lag and Fermor? Lag and CPT? Lag & Regent has higher traffic volumes and Bishop and CPT are both inner ring road, same as Lag might end up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan