HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 5:38 AM

5th & Broad

I agree with Sawtooth. That is a neat project that departs from the norm. For the parking garage critics; do you want yet another stand alone 4-7 story parking garage? Or would you rather have an integrated parking structure, appropriately shielded, that adds vertical height to the building and thus the downtown core? Like it or not, Boise is not urban enough nor does it have a robust enough public transit system (yet) to get people out of their cars. I think it has a nice urban feel with the 40 sky bridge parking feature.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:05 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Buff View Post
I agree with Sawtooth. That is a neat project that departs from the norm. For the parking garage critics; do you want yet another stand alone 4-7 story parking garage? Or would you rather have an integrated parking structure, appropriately shielded, that adds vertical height to the building and thus the downtown core? Like it or not, Boise is not urban enough nor does it have a robust enough public transit system (yet) to get people out of their cars. I think it has a nice urban feel with the 40 sky bridge parking feature.

Thanks, I totally agree with this.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

This is a turned out to be a good looking project. Its a shame that it doesn't have any retail uses on the first floor to help create a more walkable neighborhood.

Last edited by TVurban; Jan 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Buff View Post
... do you want yet another stand alone 4-7 story parking garage?
Of course not. & of course, yes I want interesting vertical urban designs not parking garages.

As I've understood it, our tax dollars went to rehabilitating Broad st into the LIV district with the goal of replicating the success of 8th St and the Basque block. You're welcome to equate a parking garage hanging overhead with the open air patio cafes of 8th, but I wholeheartedly disagree they're equal. We should demand better, especially with the developer being a City Council member who well knows the intent of the LIV district.

The notion that the City should delay true urban design standards and placate auto commuters with another dolled up parking garage is again a massive mistake that in 20 years would be rued. As we know the State will determine Front & Myrtle while ACHD will reject much of the City's mass transit proposals -- in other words, design standards may be the single card the City can use to encourage the ideal land use/transportation mix I presume we here would like. Or go ahead put up a bunch of bike racks to ride to the parking garages, window dressing does go pretty far these days.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
This is a turned out to be a good looking project. Its a shame that it doesn't have any retail uses on the first floor to help create a more walkable neighborhood.
Agreed. I just looked at the website and there will be a rooftop lounge and a reception area in the entrance. Hopefully the Maverick across the street can be repurposed into something more lively than another gas station.

A bit off topic but worth the post.

Quote:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...192725709.html
Uh-oh. Boise’s first fried chicken and donut restaurant to stay open late every night

Donut Daze will be open until midnight Sunday through Tuesday, and until 3 a.m. Wednesday through Saturday, with the eventual goal of staying open until 3 a.m. seven nights a week.

Crawforth sees a Downtown customer base ready to embrace the chicken-and-donuts concept.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:59 PM

New "mixed-used" building going in on Orchard and Bond (to the north of Fairview). It will contain 26 residential units, that are a mix of 1 and 2 bedrooms. The ground floor will have (2) 749 sq. "Office/services" rooms.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=PUD17-00028

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:51 AM
Closed account

New Projects

1 The mix use project at 1610 N Orchard (Orchard Lofts) is a very nice design.

2 Gardner should have done condos and offices at Pioneer Square as the new Broad Street towers has done. I was at the Design Review meeting when it was approved. I was the only person that got up to object to this ugly and horribly designed project. The Broad Street Towers is in the planning stage, and I would think the garages will be screened, as even the Pioneer monstrosity was asked to do. The towers are so much better for a urban project downtown.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:22 PM

News on downtown library project: The city of Boise has announced its intent to contract Safdie Architects. This could be exciting!

(@ Dept of Finance and Administration: January 9, 2018
Dear Proposer,
Notice of Intent to Award Contract: RFQ 18-031 Civic Center for Education & Culture
Architectural Services
Thank you for your response to the above referenced RFQ 18-031.
This letter is to notify you that the City has completed the evaluation process and are
recommending the contract be awarded to Safdie Architects in association with CSHQA...)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:44 PM

Children’s Therapy Place will consolidate at Franklin and Allumbaugh

https://idahobusinessreview.com/2018...nd-allumbaugh/

Quote:
The full-service pediatric clinic Children’s Therapy Place will consolidate its two Boise locations to one 13,600-square-foot facility to be built at Franklin and Allumbaugh roads.

The Franklin location is midway between and a mile in opposite directions from Children’s Therapy’s headquarters. The company also has a physical, occupational, mental health and speech therapy clinic on Fairview Avenue and a clinic for developmentally disabilities and mental health off Overland Road.
This good looking project slid in under the radar and will go before the planning commission next Tuesday. Its a new children's therapy building located on southwest corner Franklin and Allumbaugh (by BK high school).
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH17-00527

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip towne View Post
News on downtown library project: The city of Boise has announced its intent to contract Safdie Architects. This could be exciting!

Dear Proposer,
Notice of Intent to Award Contract: RFQ 18-031 Civic Center for Education & Culture
Architectural Services
This letter is to notify you that the City has completed the evaluation process and are
recommending the contract be awarded to Safdie Architects in association with CSHQA...)
Thanks for this info and welcome to the good times at SSP skip towne

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip towne View Post

Dear Proposer,
Architectural Services
This is definitely exciting. Safdie Architects have done some amazing projects.

The SLC Library is of particular interest.

But they've also designed the absolutely iconic Marina Bay Sands Resort in Singapore!

Full list of projects: http://www.msafdie.com/#/projects

Last edited by Visualize; Jan 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
This is definitely exciting. Safdie Architects have done some amazing projects.

The SLC Library is of particular interest.

Agreed! Super rad. Thanks for pointing out the SLC library connection, that place is a sight to behold.

Also cool Orchard project from TVUrban.... bet we'll see more like that along Emerald & Orchard in the coming years!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:06 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Agreed! Super rad. Thanks for pointing out the SLC library connection, that place is a sight to behold.

Also cool Orchard project from TVUrban.... bet we'll see more like that along Emerald & Orchard in the coming years!
The SLC library is a very nice building and a great addition to our city. To bad it is over run by the homeless and feels more like a smelly dirty camp.

I hope what ever nice Library Boise gets, does not turn into what we have.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:25 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

JUMP

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:06 PM

Jump

Thanks for the pics Sawtooth. Does anyone know when the Hesco barriers and fences are coming down? They have been up so long and obscure the beauty of the project. I'm assuming it is to protect the landscaping until it matures a little.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:54 PM

Long time stalker of this thread but figured it was time to join in. Urban Buff what I've heard is that the barriers are staying up until spring. Just like you said, they want to protect the landscaping until it matures a bit but I think the plan is to have some big to-do about fully opening up their property to the public this spring and bring the barriers down. Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:55 PM

Jack's Urban Meeting Place is looking good. Hopefully the slides open up this year.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:34 PM

http://myuhaulstory.com/2018/01/09/u...ops-list-2017/

U-Haul U.S. Growth Cities: Tempe Tops List for 2017
January 9, 2018

Quote:
U-Haul Top 25 U.S. Growth Cities of 2017

1. Tempe Ariz.
2. Boise Idaho
3. Miami Fla.
4. Atlanta Ga.
5. Tacoma Wash.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:22 PM

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.stevens View Post
Long time stalker of this thread but figured it was time to join in. Urban Buff what I've heard is that the barriers are staying up until spring. Just like you said, they want to protect the landscaping until it matures a bit but I think the plan is to have some big to-do about fully opening up their property to the public this spring and bring the barriers down. Cheers!
Thanks ram.stevens. I read a lot more than I post...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West