HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:12 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

An abandoned dry cleaner aka environmental hazard is #vanishing to be replaced with retail and condos. This is going to be such a great addition to The Northend/Downtown.
There was no sight of angry screaming NIMBYS today

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:28 PM

I have seen many photos of Bairds destruction posted on local social media but these are the best, thanks for posting them. Good to see that this is finally happening.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleas...in-boise-idaho

Taos Announces Google Cloud Innovation Center in Boise, Idaho

Quote:
BOISE, Idaho, Jan. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Taos, a leader in Cloud Managed Services, announced Tuesday it will be opening a new Center of Innovation in collaboration with Google Cloud. This site expands Taos' innovation focus empowering today's technology leaders to create new Google Cloud-focused solutions. The Center will serve as the focal point for Taos' thought leaders to educate clients, prospects, and the community on emerging technologies and cloud concepts. The space is designed to foster collaboration, with the latest in tools, resources, and cloud expertise, all in one place.

"Our main focus over the next year will be to usher in a new energy of innovative solutions that deeply enable our customers to confidently tackle the complex IT challenges ahead of them. This is all possible through our partnership with Google Cloud and we look forward to seeing our customers' businesses transform, scale, and optimize with the solutions and collaborations that come from this new Center of Innovation," said Hamilton Yu, Taos, Chief Operating Officer.

Taos believes innovation can happen anywhere and is committed to ensuring the brightest talent and best ideas have the space and tools to create what's next for Boise. The Center is set to open January 16th in Boise.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Jan 18, 2019 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:59 PM

Gotta hand it to you Boise folks, your city rocks. Just went from SLC for the first time and it makes us look silly in terms of urbanization, walkability and city life. It reminded me of cities in Scandinavia. I hope this doesn't get ruined by sprawl the way SLC has been.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:28 PM

A list compiled by Verizon?.

https://go.verizon.com/resources/the...eas-in-the-us/

The most innovative metro areas in the US

Quote:
5 – Boise City-Nampa, ID

Interestingly, this metro area is the only one among the top 10 where the population comes close to that of the two situated by the Bay (San Jose and San Fran). And it’s not called Treasure Valley for nothing—it’s the third-largest metro area in the Pacific Northwest, a feat in its own right, and is growing at a breakneck pace. Over the years farmland has given way to a distinct urban appeal and pacing, and with an established footing in the computer manufacturing and tech industries, more growth is expected. Boise is home to Micron, a company responsible for creating dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) computer chips for personal electronic devices. It’s one of only three companies in the world that specializes in DRAM, and the only one based domestically. Factor all of that into the city’s economic trajectory, and things are looking golden around these parts.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:46 PM

Does this recent Tweet mean this is moving forward?

https://twitter.com/DowntownBoise/st...33430160334848

Quote:
11 beautiful stories, a rooftop patio, and a new public plaza, we can't wait for the new Rafanelli and Nahas building at 11th and Idaho. #bedowntownboise #downtownboise #11thandIdaho
https://www.11idaho.com/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Gotta hand it to you Boise folks, your city rocks. Just went from SLC for the first time and it makes us look silly in terms of urbanization, walkability and city life. It reminded me of cities in Scandinavia. I hope this doesn't get ruined by sprawl the way SLC has been.
Thanks jetlag! The sprawl is unfortunately happening, but there are groups that are working to mitigate it as best they can. One thing I would like to see in a more proactive manner is a transportation system similar to SLC. It won't have the scale, but it would be nice to have something hitting Dowtown, airport, BSU, then out to Nampa/Caldwell and Meridian via major corridors. Our bus system is inadequate, and with our rural legislature being allowed to call shots for Boise, it doesn't get the attention it needs.

I used to live in Portland in the late 90's. What I like about Boise is the 'compact' feeling of the downtown area, it does remind me of Portland on a small scale. I like a lot of what SLC has to offer, but I do not like the megablocks and lack of walkability. My family and I did a Stray Boots tour in SLC a few years ago to kill time, and it turned into a death march with how far apart stuff is on foot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:44 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Does this recent Tweet mean this is moving forward?

https://twitter.com/DowntownBoise/st...33430160334848

https://www.11idaho.com/

yeah, the design was approved a couple months ago, and groundbreaking was to take place pretty soon now (though we all know that usually happens later rather than sooner.)

I think the tweet is wrong, though... it's actually a 9-floor building with a rooftop patio (which is why the website says 10 stories), unless they added one (which I doubt) because that never happens (I like parenthesis).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:48 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice article in the Boston Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...1xI/story.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I agree Boise is unique little city. I am fortunate to be able to spend time up there each year to visit extended family.

Downtown, the river and parks, the backdrop and historic neighborhoods make for a very attractive city and setting. The greenbelt is superb, a real jewel. And the city always smells so good and fresh. Basically there are a lot of attributes to envy.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice image from the 2020 financial report. image looks to be about a year old -- the Alfton Phase 2 and Pioneer office building hadn't begun construction.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:14 PM

I really like that pic, Boisebro.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
yeah, the design was approved a couple months ago, and groundbreaking was to take place pretty soon now (though we all know that usually happens later rather than sooner.)

I think the tweet is wrong, though... it's actually a 9-floor building with a rooftop patio (which is why the website says 10 stories), unless they added one (which I doubt) because that never happens (I like parenthesis).
Hopefully soon!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:21 PM

Boise is one of my favorite cities to keep up with. I would like to make a trip out this year, can anyone recommend a time of year when the weather is the nicest? Perhaps during some cool local festivals?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:23 PM

Rendering alert!!!

We have finally received the renderings for the GGLO/River Cadis project at 3rd and Mrytle. It will take up 3/4 of the block bounded by 3rd, 2nd, Mrytle and Broad St. The project is 8 stories tall and will include 174 residential units, some ground floor commercial and 400 parking stalls. The large amount of parking is due to providing parking for the Courthouse. They list out 202 stalls for the courthouse. The exterior is compromised of CMU block, EIFS, V-groove siding (?) and metal panel.

Application:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH19-00007

Aerial:

Floor plan:

3rd/Mrytle:

3rd/Broad:

2nd/Mrytle:

2nd/Broad:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:42 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic View Post
Boise is one of my favorite cities to keep up with. I would like to make a trip out this year, can anyone recommend a time of year when the weather is the nicest? Perhaps during some cool local festivals?

I can't really speak to the festivals -- it seems like there's a ton of stuff going on all the time. If you're looking for something unique, the Emmett Cherry Festival and Weiser Fiddler Festivals are interesting.

And in Boise, the Treefort Music Festival is always huge. Think SxSW in Austin on a smaller scale -- 450 bands, 20 downtown locations over 5 days (or something like that), and it includes Alefort, Storyfort, Comedyfort and a bunch of others.

It's not a "festival", per se, but if you like theater, the Idaho Shakespeare Festival is a must.

For timing, I think the best times of year would be mid-spring (May/June). The weather is warm but not too hot, and the snow should be gone from Bogus so you can hike/bike on the trails. The gravity coaster is open year round, and there may be concerts on the hill, too.

Or late summer/early fall (mid-Sept through Oct) is one of my favorite times. The weather is generally cooler, smoke season is usually over by then, and the leaves are changing.

I'm sure others can share thoughts on local festivals and whatnot. I usually take out-of-town guests to wine country for the afternoon as a fun outing, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:45 PM
All man. Half nuts.

thanks TVUrban! I like the renderings. it's definitely unique.

I would prefer it to be taller on a smaller footprint to allow for future development or open park space, and would be nice if it was less earth-tone (maybe the brown could be a deep forest green instead?), but the style is refreshing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
We have finally received the renderings for the GGLO/River Cadis project at 3rd and Mrytle. It will take up 3/4 of the block bounded by 3rd, 2nd, Mrytle and Broad St. The project is 8 stories tall and will include 174 residential units...
2nd/Mrytle:
This looks like a good one. Really digging the tree planters cantilevered off of the parking garage sections. That's a really nice touch, creates some dynamic depth and will work to mask the garage nicely. I haven't seen this utilized much.

The corner facing Broad and 3rd provides for some nice future options for its current owner. Pleased that the whole block wasn't developed, as this leaves it open to be a bit more eclectic.

When do we bulldoze Costco?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic View Post
Boisebro gave you some great ideas. The Saturday Market downtown is always fun.
https://www.capitalcitypublicmarket.com/

The Road to the X Games will take place again this June.
https://xgames.cityofboise.org/

The Goathead Festival
https://www.boisegoatheadfest.com/home/

This link has info on a lot of yearly events:

https://www.boise.org/boise/events

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
We have finally received the renderings for the GGLO/River Cadis project at 3rd and Mrytle. It will take up 3/4 of the block bounded by 3rd, 2nd, Mrytle and Broad St. The project is 8 stories tall and will include 174 residential units, some ground floor commercial and 400 parking stalls. The large amount of parking is due to providing parking for the Courthouse. They list out 202 stalls for the courthouse. The exterior is compromised of CMU block, EIFS, V-groove siding (?) and metal panel.
Nice!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Boisebro gave you some great ideas. The Saturday Market downtown is always fun.
https://www.capitalcitypublicmarket.com/

The Road to the X Games will take place again this June.
https://xgames.cityofboise.org/

The Goathead Festival
https://www.boisegoatheadfest.com/home/

This link has info on a lot of yearly events:

https://www.boise.org/boise/events
Thanks, both!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West