HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
it may be *one* lot but it's the same size as the existing dome, which is also about the same size as your typical walmart supercenter surface lot. this would be a horrible use of space half a mile from the center of downtown.
It's not a horrible use of space if you're into tailgating...I assume these comments are coming from folks who have no use for it.

One parking like for an 80,000 seat stadium is pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned. Take a look at other stadiums around the country - most of them sit in an ocean of parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Tailgating at the top of a short two or three storey parking deck, which has storefronts along the base and is designed so it doesn't look like a parking deck. It's a way to remove a parking lot a few people here disappointed about. You're likely right. It's an unusual urban idea that may or may not work. The only way to know is to try it though. I still prefer to take MARTA to the dome.
Oh I feel the same way about using MARTA to get to any of Atlanta's arenas, but there are many thousands who really enjoy the tailgating thing and that tradition needs to be accommodated too. I don't think a parking deck would go over well for tailgaters.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I didn't have a problem with the Falcons wanting a new outdoor stadium but now that the plan requires the demolition of the young dome that couldn't look any better I am completely against it.
Agreed...I love the Dome and hate to see it go, but Atlanta has to keep up with Dallas!

I hate to say it as a sports lover, but some of these professional teams really hold their cities hostage when it comes to demanding new facilities. What city is going to allow their team to move out without a fight? That would be a fate much worse than building a new dome.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 6:06 PM

How about a multilevel facility with tailgating being accommodated on the top level, with a ground level having mega ice skating rink, gym, and other amenities, and with parking on several remaining levels which would also service the needs of GWCC, MARTA, College Football Hall of Fame, etc?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
How about a multilevel facility with tailgating being accommodated on the top level, with a ground level having mega ice skating rink, gym, and other amenities, and with parking on several remaining levels which would also service the needs of GWCC, MARTA, College Football Hall of Fame, etc?
I just don't believe that people are going to tailgate on top of a parking deck. It sounds ridiculous and if you've ever seen or done it you know that it's not something that translates well to a parking deck.

I think there is already ample parking in place underground for the new arena...what they are talking about is not necessarily additional parking, but something specifically for tailgating.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I just don't believe that people are going to tailgate on top of a parking deck. It sounds ridiculous and if you've ever seen or done it you know that it's not something that translates well to a parking deck.

I think there is already ample parking in place underground for the new arena...what they are talking about is not necessarily additional parking, but something specifically for tailgating.
A space specifically for tailgating is by definition a parking lot. I disagree 100% with the idea of utilizing a whole city block just outside of downtown for that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:09 PM

Another solution is pass an ordinance to allow tailgating on certain non-connecting streets in the vicinity, while keeping the street middle open for emergency services. It makes no sense to have a big open area just for tailgating a few times per year.

There needs to be some multiuse for the open area. I recommend participant sports: ice rink, roller rink, gym, parcour on the perimeter...maybe with parking decks underneath. Give the tourists something to do besides passive activity.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
A space specifically for tailgating is by definition a parking lot. I disagree 100% with the idea of utilizing a whole city block just outside of downtown for that.
Okay...that's fine if you disagree. I'm just stating the facts that it is a long-standing tradition that must be accommodated when constructing a new stadium. It seems to me like it's a necessary part of the new arena.

I think it was called a "tailgating park" in the plans that were posted earlier. Maybe it won't simply be a barebones parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:58 PM

Anyone know when the 5 design finalists' concept plans will be revealed? I bet some of them propose a creative use for the old dome area.

Last edited by SwimAtl; Mar 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:14 PM

Parking Deck ??? No

A parking deck is not a good idea whether you have the top level for tailgating or not - especially from a urban / street activity point of view.

A parking deck would promote driving to the new stadium because it would add more parking spaces than what is currently there and more than what is proposed in the rendering. Most people (if not a predominate amount) take MARTA to the Falcons games. There are two MARTA stations basically at the Georgia Dome door step.

The major difference I see in the proposed surface parking lot in the rendering and the surface parking lot that the new stadium would eliminate - is that the eliminated surface parking lot is hidden because it is in the Gulch. A lot of the tailgating that takes place now is below street level in the Gulch.

From an urban standpoint, I don't really like the proposed surface parking lot on Northside Drive either but a parking deck is not the answer. Maybe a solution could be to line the proposed surface parking lot with some store fronts that would hide the parking but also serve the tailgaters during games and the neighborhood at other times.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Okay...that's fine if you disagree. I'm just stating the facts that it is a long-standing tradition that must be accommodated when constructing a new stadium. It seems to me like it's a necessary part of the new arena.

I think it was called a "tailgating park" in the plans that were posted earlier. Maybe it won't simply be a barebones parking lot.
miami's brand new stadium has a couple of decks... no lot, and it's further from downtown than ours will be. even charlotte's stadium doesn't have a huge lot covering the same area as the freaking stadium itself.

it's probably going to happen, but it's ridiculous and stupid.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:53 PM
Fourth and Main

I like this quote I read in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Any city worth a damn is hard to park in.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 PM

Site plan agita

The 'site plan' is just that... the Site. Anything drawn in at this point is filler- not design. It gives you a rough footprint of where things will eventually go. Any concerns about a single blacktop parking lot is just speculation.
Speaking of speculation- I envision a tailgate park as just that: like parking in an RV camp with real grounds and some landscaping between the spaces. Jellystone Park Falcon style- either across Northside or near the gap next to the new Transportation center.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
miami's brand new stadium has a couple of decks... no lot, and it's further from downtown than ours will be. even charlotte's stadium doesn't have a huge lot covering the same area as the freaking stadium itself.

it's probably going to happen, but it's ridiculous and stupid.
Well, I guess Dolphins fans don't get into tailgating...I don't know. I'm not necessarily promoting this lot, but just being practical about it. I have always thought that the arena parking lot situation in Atlanta has been fairly sparse and that they have done a pretty good job at keeping them to a minimum - especially compared to other cities.

Bank of America Stadium has plenty of parking adjacent to it...I parked across the street from it last time I went to a game there.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E Neuman View Post
The 'site plan' is just that... the Site. Anything drawn in at this point is filler- not design. It gives you a rough footprint of where things will eventually go. Any concerns about a single blacktop parking lot is just speculation.
Speaking of speculation- I envision a tailgate park as just that: like parking in an RV camp with real grounds and some landscaping between the spaces. Jellystone Park Falcon style- either across Northside or near the gap next to the new Transportation center.
Same here...not just a bare parking lot but something a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:09 PM

Invest Atlanta OKs $200M in bonds for new Falcons stadium

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...bonds-for.html

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons Thursday scored a final vote of political approval to build a new $1 billion stadium.

Invest Atlanta, the city’s economic development agency, voted 8-1 to approve issuing more than $200 million in bonds to finance the public contribution for the new retractable-roof stadium. The bonds will be repaid by a portion of the revenues generated by the city’s hotel/motel tax. The Falcons will foot the remaining costs.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 4:32 PM

Has anyone heard anything about when the 5 design finalists will release their concept drawings?! I/m really excited about seeing them.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 9:01 PM

K.C. firm is top choice to design Falcons stadium

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local...tomyajcpremium
Quote:
Kansas City-based architecture firm that designed a new home for New York’s two NFL teams is the top choice to design Atlanta’s new retractable-roof stadium.

The Falcons and the Georgia World Congress Center Authority have chosen 360 Architecture as the “apparent awardee” of the lead architect job, according to a notice entered on the state’s procurement registry. That means negotiations on a fee and other terms will begin immediately. If a deal cannot be reached, the Falcons and the GWCCA would turn to their next choice, which was not named.

360 Architecture, one of five finalist firms interviewed by Falcons and GWCCA officials early this week, has been involved in designing a number of sports facilities around the world. Its highest profile project is 82,000-seat MetLife Stadium, which opened in 2010 in East Rutherford, N.J., as the shared home of the Giants and Jets.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 9:30 PM

360 Architecture

This will apparently be their first retractable roof stadium. Here is some of their work.

Metlife Stadium

American Airlines Arena

Sprint Center

Nationwide Arena

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Nationwide Arena

I know that you architecture geeks out there will salivate over the other arenas, but the Nationwide Arena is the only one that looks appropriately urban. The brick would be nice in Atlanta, too. Honestly, it is appropriate for our city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta