HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
There's a new place opening in the old Maxim's/Hillbilly Heaven location at King and Walnut as well. It looks to be some kind of pizza/Italian place. Don't know anything about it, I just noticed it the other morning as people were working on it.
Are you sure? They were filming in there last week and I assumed it was all just window dressing to make it look "authentic". I'll swing by it tomorrow on my way to work to investigate.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Not the most descriptive name for a cafe but it's good news nonetheless.
The Cafe 'n' Things name is a strange choice. I was surprised when I went in the first time and found out they serve home-cooked Hungarian food (stuffed peppers, goulash, cabbage rolls etc.)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
2 food options just opened/are opening on Barton just east of Victoria by Hamilton General.

One is a Jamaican place who's name I can't remember
The name there is Lutey's Kitchen.

There's also a new YaYa's Caribbean Restaurant on Main St E across from Gage Park.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-community-oth...ant/1011241398
"We sell a variety of dishes such as, oxtail with butter bean, curry goat with potato, curry chicken, stew/steam red snapper fish, jerk chicken and more. Also available are wonderful slices of Jamaican rum cake and Jamaican pudding cake."

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:39 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Are you sure? They were filming in there last week and I assumed it was all just window dressing to make it look "authentic". I'll swing by it tomorrow on my way to work to investigate.
Could have been this as well. I just saw people bringing boxes and equipment in and out and a few italian window decorations and menu's. Could very well have been a film shoot location.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
The Cafe 'n' Things name is a strange choice. I was surprised when I went in the first time and found out they serve home-cooked Hungarian food (stuffed peppers, goulash, cabbage rolls etc.)
Juss had lunch there yesterday!

Had the stuffed pepper which was fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 8:00 PM
Hammer'd

So that place at King and Walnut was indeed a movie set. The windows and inside are all empty again. Oh well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So that place at King and Walnut was indeed a movie set. The windows and inside are all empty again. Oh well.
It probably shut down after a day of operating. Probably due to the bus lane.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:39 AM
Eating Your Content

Quote:
I'm convinced that location is cursed, much like the corner of Bay & King.

Has anyone popped into Islands (King, just east of Caroline) as yet? I stopped in and found the food VERY salty. Both myself and the only other patron felt the same way. Anyone have a differing view?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:08 PM

Looks like 28 Lister is (finally) almost open! From twitter:

Quote:
As soon as AGCO receives occupancy permit from City, we open and will make announcement via Twitter, stay tuned #hamont @dannyshuster

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM
Eating Your Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Looks like 28 Lister is (finally) almost open! From twitter:
They soft open tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:39 PM

Anyone tried the Chophouse yet? I'm back in town and walked by yesterday and noticed they had a fancy doorman stationed outside roasting in the sun.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:49 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Anyone tried the Chophouse yet? I'm back in town and walked by yesterday and noticed they had a fancy doorman stationed outside roasting in the sun.
They haven't updated any of their social media sites since that spectator article blasted them back in June and their website still says "Opening Soon" so it must be a soft launch. I did notice the fancy door guy as well though. I'm betting they're aiming for a Supercrawl opening.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

It was a soft opening, they just did a lunch special last Friday.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 1:45 AM

Has Lavo Restaurant and Lounge, 229 James St N., closed down?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
I walked by earlier this afternoon and although it wasn't open, it still had all the furniture and stuff in it so it didn't look "closed down". If it did shut down though, it wouldn't surprise me, their food and service was terrible the one and only time I went. James North is screaming for more proper sit down restaurants but they've still gotta at least have the basics down to survive.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Their Facebook account is gone, and their twitter account hasn't been active since February...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:24 PM
Hammer'd

I haven't seen the place open for months now. Pretty sure it's closed indefinitely. I never heard any good reviews of the place anyway.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:23 AM

That place was shit. My friend bartended there and she said the owners didn't really know what they were doing. The "A restaurant is a good business right? Lets open one" kind of people.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went under. At least they spruced it up if they decide to rent it out again.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That place was shit. My friend bartended there and she said the owners didn't really know what they were doing. The "A restaurant is a good business right? Lets open one" kind of people.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went under. At least they spruced it up if they decide to rent it out again.
Loved it. I went there 3 or 4 times with different groups of friends and family during various art crawls, and we all liked it. Most in the groups liked it so much that they ventured back on there own occasionally.

Great decor, music and food. Can't speak to ownership and management, but service was quite good.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 10:04 PM

I seem to remember here that someone posted soon after Lavo opened that the building and business were for sale for some ridiculous price.

Also has anything opened in the Stowaway location? I haven't been down that way for a while. I heard when it closed the landlord wanted a lot in rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation