HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It seems to me that talk about MLB in Montreal is really more about nostalgia than about an actual love for baseball among Montrealers.

Don't get me wrong, if there was actual, genuine interest I think Montreal would have a team tomorrow. But a simple yearning for the past, basking in memories of eating peanuts under a clear blue sky at the Big O while cheering for Andre Dawson or whoever probably isn't going to convince anyone to pony up well over a billion dollars for a franchise and a new stadium.
I agree, much of discussion of the return of the Expos is based on nostalgia although I think the team would find a comfortably large niche within the sporting landscape of Montreal and Quebec. With a likely substantial tv contract with RDS/TSN to compete against the Jays and Sportsnet for summer sports content the team would have a secure future unlike the previous incarnation that was barely on the air in their final decade of existence.

Any potential ownership group can't rely on all or the majority of the funding originating from the municipal and provincial government for a new stadium imo for this to happen. They would need to provide at least half the funds for a new $500 million stadium. Let's say, $150 million from the ownership group and another $100 million through stadium rights (10 - 15 year naming rights deal with whatever corporation at $7.5 - 10 million per year). Maybe a loan from the province or city for another $100 million paid off through a ticket tax. Let's say $2 a ticket.

$2 * 27,000 per game * 81 games * 25 years = approx. $100 million

Who knows? Maybe negotiations are under way as we speak, but I don't think Tampa will be moving anytime soon especially with the lease they have.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada