HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:24 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I will reiterate: Cityplace would look fantastic with windows wrapped around the second floor.
Yes, it looks gorgeous / fantastic ...IF

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Wondering if TN would consider moving Moxie's out to their new development? But then the question is, what would go in Moxie's current location?
Never say never but the MTS Centre Moxie's is extremely popular on event days. I would imagine they could try and move it more up market and get higher sales per customer in the space but moving that Moxie's would be very risky. Gut feel is if for some reason TN had to replace the Moxie's they would move to something completely in house like the Exchange and Observation Deck currently. Both those are themselves popular event day choices and they easily compete with the city's best in terms of food quality so no reason it couldn't be done.

All that said, I think it will be easy to open new concepts outside MTS Centre in TNS than to try and move an existing operation to a new location. It also seems TN would rather make their money of restaurants taking their cut via a lease as the landlord rather than taking on the risk and potentially higher return by directly running the whole operation.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:03 PM

^ How's that Moxie's doing at lunch and in the evening on non-event nights? I haven't been there in a couple of years now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:41 PM

Looks like they're preping for caisson installation on site this AM. Drill rigs done some drillin', big steel tube now propped up (On construction cam anyways at 9:17am). Good to start seeing these go in.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ How's that Moxie's doing at lunch and in the evening on non-event nights? I haven't been there in a couple of years now.
They're busy any day I walk past a lunch time. I've had to wait several times when I've gone there for lunch.

The patio is usually full at lunch time too (weather/season dependent, clearly)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

That place is packed every Sunday, standing room only.
That's a bit of a surprise.

I though church attendance was waning nationwide in recent years / decades.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I suspect it will be one of their other brands, perhaps a Chop.
Chop is owned by Northlands too, correct? That's a good guess. If its to be a more upscale hotel, a more upscale steak house would fit the bill. I enjoy Chop most times I visit there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_eh View Post
That's a bit of a surprise.

I though church attendance was waning nationwide in recent years / decades.
Broadly speaking yes, but that literally takes into account thousands of places of worship across the country... many of those are declining while many others are very healthy if not booming.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Chop is owned by Northlands too, correct? That's a good guess. If its to be a more upscale hotel, a more upscale steak house would fit the bill. I enjoy Chop most times I visit there.
Yep.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like they're preping for caisson installation on site this AM. Drill rigs done some drillin', big steel tube now propped up (On construction cam anyways at 9:17am). Good to start seeing these go in.
Steel tube in is the ground and drill rig is coring out the centre. We're on our way folks. Kind of in a random looking spot in the middle of the hole. But hey, it's progress.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:46 PM

Quote:
(On construction cam anyways at 9:17am).
construction cam you say heeeyyyy....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:50 PM

The Edmonton Sutton Place has a Chop and the Vancouver one has Boulevard Kitchen and Oyster Bar. I suspect with a higher end hotel they'll be shooting for something higher than Moxies.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The Edmonton Sutton Place has a Chop and the Vancouver one has Boulevard Kitchen and Oyster Bar. I suspect with a higher end hotel they'll be shooting for something higher than Moxies.
Chop sounds like a good fit, and being part of the same corporate family it seems like a no brainer.

If anything, they should close down the one by the airport...being at the base of the Sandman with a Denny's next door, it kind of tarnishes the high-end image Chop appears to be striving for.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Must have found some rock later in the day. When I looked out the office window this after noon they were dropping a hammer up and down in one of the holes.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Must have found some rock later in the day. When I looked out the office window this after noon they were dropping a hammer up and down in one of the holes.
I've heard there is a cobble/boulder layer in downtown, but can't confirm that. Maybe they happened to get a good size rock in there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:11 PM

Isn't there geo-thermal going in this development? Maybe that's what the drill rig in a box thing is. I see them moving it around site, doing stuff with it. But can't really see any results.

They have a cage with pipe in it, next to the box rig thing. So would make sense if that's what they're up to.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Isn't there geo-thermal going in this development? Maybe that's what the drill rig in a box thing is. I see them moving it around site, doing stuff with it. But can't really see any results.

They have a cage with pipe in it, next to the box rig thing. So would make sense if that's what they're up to.
I've seen one of the crew take out the cores and box them for shipment. I still think that they are going for geo tech evaluation of some sort. Also there are no tubes coming out of the holes that Rodern is drilling.

When the Hydro tower was being setup for geo thermal they had one of the well drilling companies (Friesen from Steinbach I think) drill the holes, set the pipe and then grout it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Need the Cam for this one..

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1394

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:57 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
I've heard there is a cobble/boulder layer in downtown, but can't confirm that. Maybe they happened to get a good size rock in there.
Have any geologists studied Winnipeg area rock & soil to see if there were a civilization here ~25-50,000 yrs. ago?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:43 AM

No clue. The Province has fairly extensive studies on geology. But the glaciers scrapped the land clean, so there wouldn't be anything older than 12,000 years. Same time those boulders were deposited.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan