HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 9:30 PM

Maybe its just me, but I actually prefer the silver on the building as opposed to the black. The glass is a darker blue anyways and the silver provides a nice contrast in between the windows.
Maybe my opinion will change once I see the final product.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Maybe its just me, but I actually prefer the silver on the building as opposed to the black. The glass is a darker blue anyways and the silver provides a nice contrast in between the windows.
It looks good now, but it's probably too much contrast over 30 floors.

My favourite look is actually before the sliver bits come on... looks super sleek, but alas, is unfinished.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
The black looks stupid, like the silver was no longer available, so they had to substitute it.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Interesting that the corner pergola looking area will be a restaurant. Great location with an outdoor patio. I would imagine (my guess only) that it would have to be a deep pocketed chain such as a Earls or Milestones that would be able to take that large and likely expensive location. I also believe that they may have secured a grocer for the property in between. Everything looks very promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Interesting that the corner pergola looking area will be a restaurant. Great location with an outdoor patio. I would imagine (my guess only) that it would have to be a deep pocketed chain such as a Earls or Milestones that would be able to take that large and likely expensive location. I also believe that they may have secured a grocer for the property in between. Everything looks very promising.
Interesting news. I'm really curious about what a grocery store there will look like...

Sounds like Artis has really done its homework. This plan is looking top notch so far.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:50 PM
BANNED

I hope Artis gives MTS place a much-needed exterior reno to break up all that boring beige on that side of Main.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:01 PM

Still no pre-construction activity going on for the new tower. I sure hope they start this month like they said they were going to do. With the nice weather I've been expecting some action on top of Winnipeg Square going on.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:11 PM
What could go wrong?

The middle piece where the grocer will go looks slightly different than in the rendering above. 4 storeys.

I can't wait.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:13 PM

So which corner will be the most desirable in that tower? If I had my choice I think I'd take NW... a nice view of P&M, Portage Avenue and sunsets.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
The middle piece where the grocer will go looks slightly different than in the rendering above. 4 storeys.

I can't wait.

So basically one more level than what is shown? The middle part in the rendering looks like 3 storeys. I wonder what will go above the grocer? Office space?

Any change in the footprint of that middle building? Will it come any closer to Fort or is it still hugging Main? (If the former, I wonder if this is to accommodate future development on the Fort side?)

I have to admit this is probably the most excited I've been for a downtown development project since Manitoba Hydro, which was really the first tower to break ground downtown in nearly 20 years when work started in 2006. A new tallest... it felt like that day would never come.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:19 PM
Ignore these four words.

How many floors will the grocer occupy?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Still no pre-construction activity going on for the new tower. I sure hope they start this month like they said they were going to do. With the nice weather I've been expecting some action on top of Winnipeg Square going on.
wasnt the pre-construction supposed to be mainly underground in winnipeg square?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
wasnt the pre-construction supposed to be mainly underground in winnipeg square?
They need to relocate all of the electrical and HVAC equipment located on the existing roof structure of Winnipeg square. There is also some demo required to the existing structures as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
How many floors will the grocer occupy?
...can't say

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
They've started tinkering underground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So which corner will be the most desirable in that tower? If I had my choice I think I'd take NW... a nice view of P&M, Portage Avenue and sunsets.
My favourite would be southeast, with a big expansive view over the forks and greenery, or southwest where you get some forks and the sunset as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So basically one more level than what is shown? The middle part in the rendering looks like 3 storeys. I wonder what will go above the grocer? Office space?

Any change in the footprint of that middle building? Will it come any closer to Fort or is it still hugging Main? (If the former, I wonder if this is to accommodate future development on the Fort side?)

I have to admit this is probably the most excited I've been for a downtown development project since Manitoba Hydro, which was really the first tower to break ground downtown in nearly 20 years when work started in 2006. A new tallest... it felt like that day would never come.
Some renderings have shown 3, some 4, and since they're all renderings and we're unsure when exactly they were conceived in the planning process, who knows... could be anything. I can't recall them saying anything about this central portion beyond what primary tenant (grocer/hotel) they'd want.

The central building would be right up on main, I'm guessing. It would be stupid to not use that prime frontage on Main street. Hopefully the space behind is for a grocer... you can't fit a grocer in the main floor of only that front portion. Nobody is going to do a grocer on multiple floors.

I'm guessing just a small office or retail component above that?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Some renderings have shown 3, some 4, and since they're all renderings and we're unsure when exactly they were conceived in the planning process, who knows... could be anything. I can't recall them saying anything about this central portion beyond what primary tenant (grocer/hotel) they'd want.
My comment about the middle portion isn't from a rendering

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I suspected so, now start blabbing.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting news, leave us hanging....architects...

You had mentioned a new thread when construction starts on 300, didn't forget..
This thread is so entwined with 360 we could just edit the title to reflect the new project alone rather than a 2nd thread with a large degree of duplicity, whatever works unless posters want a stand alone thread..

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:19 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So I drove by 360 Main, and it looks like they are working on the corners, but instead of them rounded off like they were before, they're now literally squaring up the corners.

I was driving, so I could not take a pic, but the corner that is being worked on will be facing Main St.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the corner pergola looking area will be a restaurant. Great location with an outdoor patio. I would imagine (my guess only) that it would have to be a deep pocketed chain such as a Earls or Milestones that would be able to take that large and likely expensive location.
You mean to tell me Chamberlynn's isn't going to go in there and become the classiest restaurant in Winnipeg!?

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:52 PM

How can you share a residential building with a restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan