HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ damn, i've never gone inside there. that's really nice and makes this impending demolition even sadder and more senseless.
Yeah, looks nice inside, the outside is pretty run down looking. Either way, agreed that it's a shame the suburban crap across the street isn't being bulldozed for the new building instead.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:40 PM

i also think its worth noting that while the new proposal will increase residential density, the loss of the arcade building will absolutely decrease commercial density. there are what, 20 or so small businesses in that building? they are also the types of businesses that add vital services and character to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i also think its worth noting that while the new proposal will increase residential density, the loss of the arcade building will absolutely decrease commercial density. there are what, 20 or so small businesses in that building? they are also the types of businesses that add vital services and character to the neighborhood.
Good point, and there is little vacant retail at least going south on Broadway, so it may not be easy for some of these establishments to find new space.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
20 seems high, maybe more like 10-12. I briefly worked inside the building, and many of the interior spaces struggled with vacancy. It's a tricky spot for professional offices because parking is so challenging. Most of the time I had to park further west on Devon, 2-3 blocks away. Plus there was no central air, only radiant heat, the (common) bathrooms were woefully undersized etc.

I believe the building was owned by a Russian guy who did basic maintenance on the building and kept it in decent shape, but I'm sure he was tired of collecting low-ish rents and eventually got a good offer from a developer.

Putting my developer hat on, really the best scenario to preserve the building is to find a single tenant who could occupy most of the space with office - maybe a larger nonprofit or a co-working space. Planned Parenthood was actually the right kind of tenant although for various reasons, they can't afford high rents. A group of doctors would also be a possibility, but medical offices really need parking since their patients are so far-flung. The first floor or a portion of it could still remain retail.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:09 PM

there may have been vacancies, but this article cites two dozen businesses

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-sheridan-sold

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:26 PM
The City

This happens all the time in Chicago and it drives me nuts: on a street corner with a parking lot, a gas station, a 7-11, and a charming turreted building it's the latter property that gets demo'd and replaced while all the shitty stuff just stays there forever.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:30 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

oooh boy, this thing looks like it will age terribly. I have a bad feeling that ridged metal cladding is going to be collecting a lot of dirt.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:52 AM

Found this on youtube. University of Chicago Medicine is redeveloping their old Mitchell Hospital into a stand alone cancer center, with help from Perkins+Will. This looks like an amazing change, and will cost about $250 mil. U of C really values architecture, and this looks to further that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5giHuZ-6x-g

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:51 PM

its about on par aesthetically with the Sears Center....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
oooh boy, this thing looks like it will age terribly. I have a bad feeling that ridged metal cladding is going to be collecting a lot of dirt.
True, but if the place does well, they should have plenty of room in the budget to clean it frequently. And it looks like they could do a re-skin pretty easily a few years down the road (when the TIF is overflowing again? ).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:23 PM

37 Apartments By '606' Western Ramp, CTA Blue Line Pitched in Bucktown
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...stern-near-606

Quote:
BUCKTOWN — A developer wants to bring a 37-unit apartment building to the Bucktown and Wicker Park border, just south of where The 606's elevated Bloomingdale Trail crosses Western Avenue and less than two blocks from the CTA Blue Line Western station.

Michael Lerner, founder of MCZ Development, has requested a new zoning designation to allow for the 5-story building at 1737-1741 N. Western Ave., city records show.
TOD, only 7 parking spaces. Rendering at the bottom of the article. Looks pretty basic, brick and metal panels but does hold the corner well. First floor retail at the corner, or maybe that's just the lobby?. Article does show what will be demolished for those who are interested. Looks like a net upgrade to me.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:28 AM
Chicago

Nobu Hotel and Restaurant - 848 W Randolph

August 16, 2017

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:30 AM
Chicago

801-811 W Fulton

August 16, 2017

Nobu crane in the background ^

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:31 AM
Chicago

900 W Washington

August 16, 2017

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:32 AM
Chicago

1133 W Randolph

August 16, 2017

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:33 AM
Chicago

McDonald's Headquarters - 110 N Carpenter

August 16, 2017

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:13 AM

Is that real brick on subpanels or precast that looks like brick?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:57 AM

looks like a new art installation is on the river!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:46 PM
The City

What, those tapestries? Hmmmm..

Now that the Riverwalk west of the Mag Mile is complete, the portions toward the east seem sort of incomplete, or unfinished. For example, they should replace all of those mobile units (ticket counters, the Obriens restaurant) with actual brick and concrete structures. Also I think they should install a real restroom with actual plumbing instead of those shitty (no pun intended) port-o-potties.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:11 PM

Driving by yesterday there is a soil testing rig at the massive lot north of oak, south of hobbie, west of Cleveland east of Cambridge in Cabrini

Anyone hear anything on development of that lot?

Also Atrium Village Phase 1 tower is really making its presence felt on the south end of old town

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development