HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 11:23 PM

Rusticated? Apparently that's a word because my phone didn't correct me. TIL

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:57 PM

Great photo update. Many thanks!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Rusticated? Apparently that's a word because my phone didn't correct me. TIL
Yep. I guess you've never heard of a 'rusticated base', as in rough hewn stone used at the base of a building. Florence, Italy has lots of these.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:23 PM
SLC or BUST

When No Perimeter Columns Meet the Ground: 111 South Main, Salt Lake City

land ownership agreement of neighboring properties necessitated the insertion of the new Utah Performing Arts Center under the entire southern portion of a proposed 25-story office tower. Based on an air-rights agreement, construction of the tower could exist above the 5-story performing arts center but no permanent support could reach the ground in the area of the facility. With unbalanced loads that would exist in the tower if some columns would reach the ground and the others not, the design team decided to balance all the loads of the tower and have no columns meet the ground. Located in a region of high seismicity, a performance based design of the reinforced concrete core wall and complex foundations define the structural system for the tower. Ductile link beams with high-strength concrete core walls are designed to resist all gravity and lateral loads with a three-dimensional steel roof truss system used to carry suspended perimeter column loads. Six friction pendulum structural bearings are used under the roof truss system to manage lateral and gravity load transfers at the top of the core walls as well as the change in temperature of the steel roof truss system. Advanced non-linear seismic analyses were performed on the structure along with a carefully conceived construction sequence using both permanent and temporary structural systems. The conceptual development of the design and analysis as well as the construction of this complex tower is presented.

Read More: http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.10...0784479117.067

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:58 AM

Tower Crane

They were working on raising the crane again today. It looked like 5 more sections were being added this morning and afternoon.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:48 AM

I was headed to trader joes today from the U and the tower is definitely very visible in the skyline. Also I can see it when I go on runs up above Morris Meadows near 18th

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 1:28 AM

Here are a few shots I took while in town over the 24th.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Great shots, thank you.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 3:25 AM

I snapped a few shots on my phone while waiting at a red light. This is one of the few times I was happy to get a red light

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 7:21 AM
The Drifter

21?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 1:21 PM

I keep looking at the elevator core rise (not in any of those pics, just in person from different angles) -- it's already taller than I thought it was going to be. And then trying to figure out how tall the crown will be, if it will be taller than the core. I'm pleased with the height this is going to end up. More pleased with another 5-10 stories of course, but this is a substantial addition to the skyline.

A consequence of coming downtown with my boys to look at various construction projects--last week we were on the beach in San Diego, and my 10 year old was building a sandcastle--his first step was making this really compact tower out of hard wet sand. I asked him what he was doing, because it didn't look sandcastley, and he looked at me and said "Dad. It's the elevator core. It needs to go in first." So proud. Nerd.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:34 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC2GeorgetownU View Post
land ownership agreement of neighboring properties necessitated the insertion of the new Utah Performing Arts Center under the entire southern portion of a proposed 25-story office tower. Based on an air-rights agreement, construction of the tower could exist above the 5-story performing arts center but no permanent support could reach the ground in the area of the facility. With unbalanced loads that would exist in the tower if some columns would reach the ground and the others not, the design team decided to balance all the loads of the tower and have no columns meet the ground. Located in a region of high seismicity, a performance based design of the reinforced concrete core wall and complex foundations define the structural system for the tower. Ductile link beams with high-strength concrete core walls are designed to resist all gravity and lateral loads with a three-dimensional steel roof truss system used to carry suspended perimeter column loads. Six friction pendulum structural bearings are used under the roof truss system to manage lateral and gravity load transfers at the top of the core walls as well as the change in temperature of the steel roof truss system. Advanced non-linear seismic analyses were performed on the structure along with a carefully conceived construction sequence using both permanent and temporary structural systems. The conceptual development of the design and analysis as well as the construction of this complex tower is presented.

Read More: http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.10...0784479117.067

Cool tower.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 10:30 PM

I was able to find a webcam for 111 from the 111MainSLC site.

The image is from a webcam, so the image will update each refresh. If you use the source of the image you will be able to refresh the page to view 2-3 second updates.

Source of the image is: http://cam.utpma.com/pi/caml_db.php?cam=FSB

Also, it looks like the core is topped out. There wasn't any more mesh for the core visible this morning. This is the same as yesterday. Normally they have been adding more mesh as they pour the next section of the core to get ready for the next jump. As there wasn't any mesh for the core reinforcement, I am pretty sure the core is now maxed out.

Also, on the 111 site, they are showing floors 9 through 14 as leased. The rest are available. This is an update from the unknown status before. The lease terms for the floors go up to 9 years (6th Floor).

It is possible that more space is leased but contracts haven't been finalized.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 10:40 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:32 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

From a week ago.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 11:22 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Unless I'm off with my counting, it looks like we've hit the 24 story mark. So unless they build it taller we should just be seeing construction for the crown further up.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 12:33 AM

I count 23... Isn't there 1 more taller than average floor on top of those beams, then the crown?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 12:45 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I counted 20. Glass starts on level three, ends at six. Complet floors end at 20 with the start of floors 21 and 22. There should be four more floors added to total it at 24.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:28 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Yeah my bad.

The bottom of floor 24 is the tops of these beams I circled:

We're not quite there yet. It'll happen in 7 days or so.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I counted 20. Glass starts on level three, ends at six. Complet floors end at 20 with the start of floors 21 and 22. There should be four more floors added to total it at 24.
That is correct. That means there are still four floors to go.
Glass starts at floor three.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West