HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 10:00 PM
Closed account

I don't know how reliable the news is, but it sounds like the Guelph Grotto may be opening a climbing gym near Highbury and Oxford. Apparently they have secured a location and will begin construction within a month or two. It would be pretty unusual for it to be purpose-built for a climbing gym, so I'm guessing they're leasing space somewhere in the vicinity. In any case, that just placed London on my list of places I could feasibly live! (although it is a bit far from the escarpment)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

neat. I used to rock climb back in my CEGEP days (1988-1990).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:21 AM

Wait. Highbury and Oxford? I wonder if they're moving into Oxbury Mall? Not many other choices on that corner...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:03 AM
Sanity merchant

Or those soccer fields...

That whole area needs to be turned into a sports area / complex

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:18 AM
Closed account

Here's the source: http://ontarioclimbing.com/forum/index.php?topic=1722.0

Apparently it's in the general vicinity. I don't know what that means though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:41 PM
User Registered

The London Lightning are one win away from taking the first NBL title.

Has anyone been to the games? I've been to two and they're very entertaining. Although it's odd to see the JLC with such a small crowd... the upper level is closed and the first floor is only about half-full. Big contrast compared to a Knights game.

Also I found out that I enjoy watching basketball live more than hockey. I miss the announcers for hockey games but I don't seem to for basketball... plus you're close to the court and there's good entertainment during play stoppages.

London could take the title tomorrow in Halifax. They won the first two games in a best of 5 series. In addition London's coach hasn't lost two games in a row since he started coaching 6 years ago. Will this jinx him?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:41 AM

went to yesterdays game loved it, it gives the JLC a great vibe

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:07 AM

Awesome stuff for the London Lightning, I honestly didnt give the league a hope in hell but the long NBA lockout seems to have helped. Hopefully its the first of many season.

JLC is an awesome venue, modern building, great location. I really think that if they had upped to capacity to 15-16k when they were building it, they would be a very attractive location of an NHL team!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 5:00 PM
User Registered

Well the London Lightning lost both games in Halifax which means the final game will be this Sunday at 2 at the JLC.

Also at 2 on Sunday is Barcraft at the Ceeps. Not sure which one I will go to but I will probably watch the Lightning game and then head over to the Ceeps.

For those who don't know what Barcraft is, it's like watching a sporting game at a bar except it's Starcraft. The MLG (Major League Gaming) final is on Sunday, and the London, Western and Fanshawe Starcraft community are gathering at the Ceeps to watch a live stream of it.

There have been a bunch of Barcrafts, and the Ceeps is happy to host them. In November, over 200 people packed the bar. The London Free Press did a story on it.

If you haven't been to one, or don't know anything about Starcraft, you'll still have a great time! Many of my friends who know nothing have stopped by and they had a blast!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 10:48 PM

Lightning Win first championship

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:01 AM
User Registered

Grats Lightning on winning the NBL title! The JLC was nuts... had to wait 30+ mins to get a ticket... place was packed!

Grats Marineking on winning the MLG title! The Barcraft scene in London is pretty solid now... probably better than K/W's.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:32 AM

OHL Champs!

Congratulations London Knights on winning the OHL Championship!!!

This is London's Joe Carter moment. Game 7, 1 second left in a tied game, and the Knights score. I'm glad I was listening to the game online while watching the Leafs-Boston. I literally almost threw up when the Bruins tied it up.

Last edited by manny_santos; May 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:21 PM

London gets the 2014 Memorial Cup

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 5:19 AM
User Registered

London Lightning make a come-from-behind in the series and defeat Brampton A's and advance to the Semifinals against Windsor Express!

http://lightningbasketball.ca/p/1453...ies-against-as

If you haven't been to a Lightning game before, I highly recommend it. Constant action, very entertaining, and that's coming from a guy who finds basketball boring to watch on TV.
-Seeing the overblown reaction from the coach on every play is enough to make the ticket worth it!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:51 AM

no kidding! why dont they?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:59 AM

Talking Local Sports Apparel Shops?

SO i am all about buying local and small if possible. I grew up in a small town outside of london and had hard working parents that ran a mom and pop variety store and small grocery store. I see the struggles of these small businesses. So i do what i can to shop local. on that note i am looking to buy my dad some original golf apparel for fathers day. does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to avoid golf town or the big sports shops. I think i could buy stuff from the private golf courses but they have their logos on everything, when i google london golf apparel i see this company called thirteen under golf. has anyone out there bought their stuff? i love the idea of being on the cutting edge of a small company.... if i don't find some thing here i may have to get some of John Daly's stuff! thanks

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:20 PM

Martial Arts Camps For Kids

I always like to share when I have a good experience with a local business, because it seems like sometimes i do nothing but bitch ad moan about politics, sports and life in general. Believe me i am not always like that! Anyway I was looking through locally run sports camps for my kids again this summer and one i will definitely put them in again is the Martial Arts Kid Camp run by Sherbourne Martial Arts Academy. My kids were there last year and it war well run, and they loved it. Simon (instructor) is also a full time school teacher so he knows how to handle and entertain the kids. So there i said something nice about someone!! I would also like to put my son in a skating school but i hear some instructors can be really nasty to kids (here i go again!). Any suggestions out there? Lets get some conversation going people!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:40 PM

I love this Karate place. Simon is very good with the kids and knows his stuff

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:50 PM

Tricar to built soccer pitch behind their office with turf field. Great to see.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...f-soccer-field

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:33 AM

The Tricar soccer field is slowly progressing. Field is laid out, with a small retaining wall at one end for leveling purposes I assume, as well as fence posts going up. Going to be some time before the field is graded out and artificial turf put in, so it's doubtful that anything will be played on it this year. But with Covid construction shutdowns, I guess that's to be expected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation