HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 3:00 AM

^ The answer given as to why it wasn't practical to tear it down and build a brand new one was that the various groups that use the CCT now had no other place to go. The Memorial seems a perfect fit, but the groups bitched about the sound system.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 3:17 AM

Actually, from what I heard, the CCT is pretty big. (2500 seats) Memorial is even bigger (3000 I think) I've sat in the last row a couple times, it's FAR back. Any further back would really suck.

During the council meeting, the director was saying that unless it's one of the big muscials (Mamma Mia, Lion King, Nutcracker, ect) it's hard to fill that place on a regular basis

The places I have been to in NY and SF seem like they are around the same size, but nicer, and they have more of them.

On the downside, it's too big for a lot of the smaller musicals and performances that would like to come here, but they could not sell out the CCT and it's expensive to rent and not fill it up, or close to it. Unfort, there is no other place smaller for them to go, at least that I know of

That's why I hope we get a nice 1000-1500 seat one at 10th and K, or somewhere else DT.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 4:46 AM
Here we stAy

What about the Music Circus/ Wells Fargo Pavillion?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 4:51 AM

That would fit the bill, but it is a round stage..It's really fucky. Not your traditional stage. You need to see it to know what I'm talking about

I've seen a few things there, personally, I didn't care for it too much

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 5:16 AM

Quote:
by sugit
It's really fucky.
I do not know what kind of shows you are watching at the Pavillion, but I can't wait to go!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 5:22 AM
4giv me for I have Zin'd

^^ I went to Mamma Mia and was in the very last row, second tier. Oh my God, my mom and I were wishing we had seat belts or some sort of harness to keep us in our seats! It was so high up and so very steep -- It was like one false move might send us tumbling down to the earth below.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 6:04 AM
Kodachrome

I don't know about you two :nuts:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 6:35 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit
Actually, from what I heard, the CCT is pretty big. (2500 seats) Memorial is even bigger (3000 I think) I've sat in the last row a couple times, it's FAR back. Any further back would really suck.

During the council meeting, the director was saying that unless it's one of the big muscials (Mamma Mia, Lion King, Nutcracker, ect) it's hard to fill that place on a regular basis

The places I have been to in NY and SF seem like they are around the same size, but nicer, and they have more of them.

On the downside, it's too big for a lot of the smaller musicals and performances that would like to come here, but they could not sell out the CCT and it's expensive to rent and not fill it up, or close to it. Unfort, there is no other place smaller for them to go, at least that I know of

That's why I hope we get a nice 1000-1500 seat one at 10th and K, or somewhere else DT.

The one asset that the CCT has is it's stage and the prodcution set up, which allows for the Big Musicals such as the Phantom of the Opera. It is one of the larger stages for the the Touring Broadway series. What needs to be renovated is the Lobby, the Bathrooms, the environs, (so to speak).

I attended a Concert last night at ARCO (it was for Andre Rieu) who is a Violinist and leads his own Johann Strauss Orchestra.

There were approximately 13,000 people (which is nothing to sneeze at for a classical concert).

Now I'm not suggesting that we need a concert hall that seats 10,000 people. But walking around ARCO and listening to that concert convinced me of a few things.

#1 ARCO is litterally falling apart. It's also obvious that the Maloofs have decided not to invest another penny to fix things as they break or to keep repairing the old girl. Her days are seriously numbered. If the Council and Supervisors refuse to replace ARCO, there's a future that inolves no professional sports or concerts in Sacramento. We will be forced to drive to San Jose, Oakland, Fresno or Stockton. ARCO is beyond repair.

#2 Sacramento needs a concert Hall (or a smaller stage) that seats about 1,000-1,500 people, as Costa pointed out. We need the theater to have the best acoustics, so that when touring orchestras from Viennna or (wherever) stop in Sacramento, they have a beautiful venue to play in. Granted, lastnights concert was far too big for it to have been performed anywhere else but ARCO. However the acoustics didn't do the concert any justice. Nor did the poor state of the environs. The clock is ticking on ARCO.

#3. We do need a renovated Community Center Theater, and though I swore my speaking days at the various meetings was over, I think the arts are a personal crusade for me. For everything that can be said of Sacramento, one thing that can't be said is that the arts aren't alive and well in Sacramento. It's appropriate that they are provided and environment in which to flourish. The CCT needs to be preserved and renovated in order to anchor the East End of the K street Pedestrian Mall. That combined with a smaller performing arts theater at 10th and K will really give this city options and help create a theater district, which would include the Wells Fargo Pavillion and a refurbished memorial Auditorium.

Unfortunately it sounds as if the council may have the same attitude in regards to the CCT as they do ARCO. In other words
they think that it's fine and doesn't feel that there's anything wrong with it. I hope that Sheedy's opinion isn't the prevailing opinion on the Council, because if it is, then the day is fast approaching when we loose touring Broadway shows due to the lack of a serviceable Theater.

I just can't beleive the hick town parochial character of this city and other local municipalities and it's refusal to invest in it's own civic amenities, Out of all the cities I've lived in during my life, I have never lived in a city with such an attitude and lack of self worth. It's really embarassing at times, and I really feel bad that there is a future senario in which Sacramento may not have a professional sports team, arena or even can't even support it's many performing arts in a decent facility.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 6:43 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac
I watched a city council meeting the other day and the CCT renovation was on the agenda.

Do you remember if that was an afternoon or evening meeting and what day it was?

I want to watch that as a replay.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 8:10 PM

Sorry, UE, I don't recall. I didn't see the entire thing. I think it was a late November meeting though.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 8:24 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter
#1 ARCO is litterally falling apart. It's also obvious that the Maloofs have decided not to invest another penny to fix things as they break or to keep repairing the old girl. Her days are seriously numbered. If the Council and Supervisors refuse to replace ARCO, there's a future that inolves no professional sports or concerts in Sacramento. We will be forced to drive to San Jose, Oakland, Fresno or Stockton. ARCO is beyond repair.
Everyone thinks the new arena is for the greedy billionaire magoofs Nobody thinks it is really falling apart... really sad

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 9:32 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninsac
Sorry, UE, I don't recall. I didn't see the entire thing. I think it was a late November meeting though.

I found it...

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Media...&meta_id=56258

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 2:08 AM

It will be funny in 2020 when our Metro is 3.5+ million but all performing arts venues passes up Sacramento on tour to go perform Stockton, Fresno, and Bakerfield, whos population is 1/3 ours (or less, in bakersfields case maybe).

Sacramento will offically become the laughing stock of the nation when the majority of small towns have better and more performing arts and other cultural ventues than this relatively big metro.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 2:25 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin
It will be funny in 2020 when our Metro is 3.5+ million but all performing arts venues passes up Sacramento on tour to go perform Stockton, Fresno, and Bakerfield, whos population is 1/3 ours (or less, in bakersfields case maybe).

Sacramento will offically become the laughing stock of the nation when the majority of small towns have better and more performing arts and other cultural ventues than this relatively big metro.

I'm on your side with this issue Majin. I think we're already well on our way to being the laughing stock.

Watch the coucil meeting and see how Sheedy linked this issue to the Arena. She basically said no money for an arena and doesn't think money should go towards an arts theater.

In fact she stated she remembers this issue 4 years ago when the price tag would have been half of what it is now and she admitted opposing it then. Now the price tag for renovation has doubled and she still thinks no additonal money should be spent (even if it means continued deterioration of the theater.)

We have a few losers who are content to let the few pitiful civic resources we have crumble down around us.

But I agree with you Majin, that this will be the largest metro without

#1 an arena

#2 at least one professional sports team

#3 a performing arts center.

The worst part about it, nobody really cares...

I've lost nearly all confidence in our local elected leaders. If private developrs can't deliver, then Sacramento will have to do without.

Sacramento will become an after thought to people and especially to companies looking to relocate here. Residents will sit around and bemoan why this region doesn't get an respect (like they did before the Kings arrived). They will talk about grand schemes that will make Sacramento "world class".

If they don't want a new arena or professional sports, then fine. But they better get behind the arts or something, or this region will be nothing but Bakersfield with a dome.

Chicago is looking better and better all the time.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Dec 16, 2005 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 6:37 AM

$5000 says a new venue breaks ground by Dec 15, 2009.

IF interested, private message me with all your contact info and we can hammer out the detail offline

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 6:44 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

from suckramento.com.. shows how stupid people are

>>
The Maloofs should buy the land and pay for their own building. If they want the City and/or County to pay for it, I'll be glad to lose them to a City that will subsidize them.

Do I want my tax dollars to go to luxury boxes for lobbyists and fat cats who live in Granite Bay or El Dorado Hills?

Sacramento could grow and develop as a city without the Kings.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a
from suckramento.com.. shows how stupid people are

>>
The Maloofs should buy the land and pay for their own building. If they want the City and/or County to pay for it, I'll be glad to lose them to a City that will subsidize them.

Do I want my tax dollars to go to luxury boxes for lobbyists and fat cats who live in Granite Bay or El Dorado Hills?

Sacramento could grow and develop as a city without the Kings.
You're right- many people (if not most) are stupid. But it only takes one or two people with the right net worth to get something done. In this sense, it's not necessarily a democracy. So take heart.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 7:05 AM
Kodachrome

This thread name should be changed to "How Much Longer Till The KINGS Leave"

I'm having a Majin moment.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 7:09 AM

There is a lot of talk of Major League Teams moving. NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB all have at least one team that is looking. The MSL team from San Jose just announced they are moving to Houston.

If Sacramento looses the Kings, which will be a bad thing, then the fans can all go down to Stockton and support Hockey and Indoor Soccer.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 7:13 AM
Kodachrome

No love here for Hockey or Soccer... I'd rather go fishing or skiing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area