HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 4:08 PM
my posse's on broadway

hell yeah.

$50 cover - that's about our anticipated yearly tax increase, right? would make a fitting statement. i'll cover somebody's yearly sales tax expenses, so they won't have to buy anything all year! haha.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 4:21 PM

You KNOW I'm in!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 6:39 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

(Here is a quick note i sent off to Councilman Cohn)

Councilman Cohn

I am writing to express my regret over your recent publc criticism of the proposed Quality of Life Measure that will appear on the November ballot. Specifically your public opposition and speculation as it pertains to the arena.

Your public opposition to the quality of life measure, coupled with your lack of participation in crafting a solution for a new arena and jump starting railyard redevelopment, has lead me to rethink my earlier support for your council bid, as well as any future mayoral bid. Perhaps had you been active in helping to find a solution instead of sitting on the sidelines only to jump into the debate after the fact, I might have had more respect for your public position.

However your appearance on KCRA was a misrepresentation of the truth as well as my belief that you deliberately left out the cost estimates for operating a new arena.

As I've expressed in the past, Sacramento should be investing in its civic and cultural amenities, such as an arena, museums, performing arts center and other quality of life projects. Projects that will help attract new business to Sacramento and give Sacramentans a reason to dine, play and shop locally.

It's a shame that you have chosen to ignore the obvious benefits.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 6:44 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12
Of course it will.

Attention everyone: I'm going to host a pro-arena fund raiser at my house sometime in September. It's gonna be huge. I haven't figured out any of the details (in fact, it just crossed my mind this instant). but give me a show of hands as to how many people could make it. Thinking of something like a $30,$40,$50 cover, full bar, entertainment, the works. All proceeds will go to the arena campaign. I'd like to see a show of hands of at least 10 people on this forum, plus guests. that might be $1,000 raised, less expenses, just from the regulars on this forum. If I can raise $5,000 total, that might be enough to buy 20 tv ads.

So, ARE YOU IN?

I really wish i was gonna be in Sacramento for that party.

What a great idea Brandon.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 6:48 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter
(Here is a quick note i sent off to Councilman Cohn)

Councilman Cohn

I am writing to express my regret over your recent publc criticism of the proposed Quality of Life Measure that will appear on the November ballot. Specifically your public opposition and speculation as it pertains to the arena.

Your public opposition to the quality of life measure, coupled with your lack of participation in crafting a solution for a new arena and jump starting railyard redevelopment, has lead me to rethink my earlier support for your council bid, as well as any future mayoral bid. Perhaps had you been active in helping to find a solution instead of sitting on the sidelines only to jump into the debate after the fact, I might have had more respect for your public position.

However your appearance on KCRA was a misrepresentation of the truth as well as my belief that you deliberately left out the cost estimates for operating a new arena.

As I've expressed in the past, Sacramento should be investing in its civic and cultural amenities, such as an arena, museums, performing arts center and other quality of life projects. Projects that will help attract new business to Sacramento and give Sacramentans a reason to dine, play and shop locally.

It's a shame that you have chosen to ignore the obvious benefits.
Yeah!!! That's how you do it

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 6:53 PM
my posse's on broadway

What an appropriately scathing letter urban.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 7:10 PM

^I second that. Well Done.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 8:38 PM

And the battle begins... it's going to be an interesting few months to say the least...

Dickinson, Lawmakers Tip Off Fight Over Arena Plan
Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer
news10.net

Hours after agreeing to put a new Sacramento arena plan before voters, city and county lawmakers began their push for public support Thursday, laying out the framework for the deal to construct the half-billion dollar sports and entertainment facility in downtown Sacramento and blasting critics who charge taxpayers were fleeced in the deal.

Led by Sacramento County Supervisor Roger Dickinson, city and county representatives outlined major points in the ongoing negotiations between Sacramento and the Maloof family to built the arena on the current site of the downtown Union Pacific railyards.

For the first time since arena negotiations rekindled in May, verbal deal points were made in writing and presented to Sacramento County supervisors Wednesday, breaking down the financing, ownership, design, development, construction and use of the proposed facility.

The plan for a 17-to-18,000-seat facility is expected to be similar to other new NBA arena projects completed in cities like Memphis, Charlotte, Indianapolis and Houston. The Kings will pay $20 million to begin construction, while the majority of the design and development cost for the expected $470 to $542 million project will be paid by a Joint Powers Authority between the city, county and potentially other local governments.

In the event arrangements can't be worked out with railyard developers, the agreement also allows both sides to consider other possible sites, including one previously under consideration in North Natomas.

Dickinson also contested criticism by taxpayer groups and politicians who have argued the city faces too much risk for too little reward under the current deal.

"We want to take a moment, frankly, to debunk some of the nonsense that we have heard," Dickinson said.

Despite the city and county's responsibility for any cost overruns on the construction, Dickinson said the Maloof family bears all the responsibility -- and potential losses -- if the arena's schedule of events don't draw the expected crowds.

"They take all the risk of the facility," Dickinson said. "If they can't fill that arena, they bear that loss."

The city and county will soon solicit three nationally-recognized architects to draw up plans for the arena. Although the Maloofs will be allowed to choose their favorite, the JPA retains all decision-making authority over the construction process.

Sacramento voters will cast their votes on the arena measure Nov. 7.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Sacramento voters will cast their votes on the arena measure Nov. 7.
And it won't hurt a bit that the Kings' home opener is Nov. 6.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Of course it will.

Attention everyone: I'm going to host a pro-arena fund raiser at my house sometime in September. It's gonna be huge. I haven't figured out any of the details (in fact, it just crossed my mind this instant). but give me a show of hands as to how many people could make it. Thinking of something like a $30,$40,$50 cover, full bar, entertainment, the works. All proceeds will go to the arena campaign. I'd like to see a show of hands of at least 10 people on this forum, plus guests. that might be $1,000 raised, less expenses, just from the regulars on this forum. If I can raise $5,000 total, that might be enough to buy 20 tv ads.

So, ARE YOU IN?
You can count me in! ....i also know a few people who are trying to set up a similar event at The Park Ultra Lounge on 15th & L....I'll let everyone know if & when that happens.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 10:59 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
I'm going to host a pro-arena fund raiser at my house sometime in September. It's gonna be huge.

So, ARE YOU IN?
Party at Brandons I'm in.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter
I really wish i was gonna be in Sacramento for that party.

What a great idea Brandon.
You could still donate! haha!

Great letter, by the way. I've always admired your ability to express yourself, urban.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 11:16 PM
NIMBY Hater

Oh, and also brandon, I'm for sure in!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 3:01 AM
Vizcaya Mansion 04/15/06

Me and my Wife will be in Sacramento from Sept 22 till Oct 1. You could count us and some kings fans in if the dates are right.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 5:01 PM
Repeat!

Quote:
Of course it will.

So, ARE YOU IN?
Count me in! I know several bartenders, including one who is strongly in favor of a new arena.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 2:46 AM

Good News!

Consultants join arena campaign
Sacramento Business Journal - 7:09 PM PDT Tuesday
by Kelly Johnson
Staff writer

The campaign for a quarter-cent sales-tax increase targeting an arena began to take shape this week with the formation of a committee and the hiring of key consultants.

Papers for "Yes on Q & R," sponsored by the Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce, were filed Tuesday with the Secretary of State's office.

Meanwhile, several consultants have been brought on board.

Richard Temple, a partner in public relations agency McNally Temple Associates Inc., will oversee the campaign. Thomas Hiltachk, a partner with Bell, McAndrews & Hiltachk LLP who has practiced political and election law exclusively for 18 years, will handle the legal aspects of the campaign.

Sacramento-based publicist Doug Elmets of Elmets Communications Group, whose clients include several Indian tribes, will handle media communications.

In addition, Sandy Smoley will serve as a spokeswoman for the effort. She is a healthcare and local and state government consultant who previously worked in government for 31 years, including a stint as secretary of the California Health and Welfare Agency.

Matt Mahood and Dave Butler of the Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber, also will be involved in campaign activities, Elmets said.

The Sacramento County Board of Supervisors voted last week to place two ballot measures on the November ballot. One measure will ask voters to increase the sales tax by a quarter-cent per dollar -- to 8 percent -- for 15 years to raise funds "for any reason." A companion advisory measure will call for half the $1.2 billion raised through the tax increase to be put toward a new sports and entertainment arena in downtown Sacramento. The two measures are not linked, one could pass and the other could fail.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 3:03 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Now, technically, if the first measure passed an the other failed, so we have the tax, but no arena... since the tax is "for any reason" couldn't it go to an arena anyways?
Oh well, that's good news that big name people are taking part in this.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 3:15 AM

It is my understanding that if the first passes, and the second doesn't, that they can still use the funds for the Arena.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 3:27 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Well then that is pure genius on their part.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 3:04 PM

I don't know a whole lot about how ballot measures exactly work, but I believe the later is an "advisory" measure- meaning, it's more for public input on how the funds should be spent, but not neccesarily a law dictating it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area