HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:46 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I am so tired of plain white. If it wasn't for the excellent lighting on the 2nd Street Bridge, I would probably be more irritated by yet another half ass lighting scheme that seems more like a secondary thought than genuine effort. Having said that, it's better than no lighting. It's disappointing that the tower portion of North Shore isn't lit up. Someone mentioned awhile back about how cool it would look if it was lighted in a way that would give it a cascading effect like a waterfall going into the river. I'm really suprised given it's prominence that the developer didn't add lighting to the tower. It's pretty dark looking at night

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 7:15 AM

The lighting does make downtown Austin feel more alive. I love it!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:57 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I am so tired of plain white. If it wasn't for the excellent lighting on the 2nd Street Bridge, I would probably be more irritated by yet another half ass lighting scheme that seems more like a secondary thought than genuine effort. Having said that, it's better than no lighting. It's disappointing that the tower portion of North Shore isn't lit up. Someone mentioned awhile back about how cool it would look if it was lighted in a way that would give it a cascading effect like a waterfall going into the river. I'm really suprised given it's prominence that the developer didn't add lighting to the tower. It's pretty dark looking at night
Agree!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:16 AM

North Italia and Flower Child restaurants set to open at 500 W. 2nd St. by year's end.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...s-heading.html

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:53 PM

Found out today that Google will be putting their name on the building before they move in this September.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:06 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
https://www.wired.com/2015/09/google...endly/#slide-6

I hope its just a lit version of the current G logo, colors included. Any indication from your source about the exact form?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:07 AM

Nope I didn't ask. She did say it would be on the south side of the building, but there was concern that TC's planned tower would block views of the logo from across the river.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:36 PM

Getting ready to move in I guess. It's nice to have Nueces open between 2nd and 3rd!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 2:54 AM

Here are some pictures of Google Tower. I wanted to see what was on that cut-out - I was hoping it was the Airstream but no, just an outdoor lounge area. I was too afraid to get really close because it was so windy this morning and I didn't want to crash into the building. That would be just my luck.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 9:07 AM
World Traveler

Is the Airstream still happening?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I might get an up close look at this tower this Fall. There's a guy in the Austin 42 Club that I'm also a member of that works for Google. They are putting in game rooms for their employees and were taking suggestions. They took his idea of a room with a Texas/honky tonk flair with some tables for 42, and are implementing it. He's looking into allowing us to come play there, lead by example sort of.

Pretty cool! I hope it happens.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I might get an up close look at this tower this Fall. There's a guy in the Austin 42 Club that I'm also a member of that works for Google. They are putting in game rooms for their employees and were taking suggestions. They took his idea of a room with a Texas/honky tonk flair with some tables for 42, and are implementing it. He's looking into allowing us to come play there, lead by example sort of.

Pretty cool! I hope it happens.
That is cool! Let them know you will be bringing a few friends so we can have a forum meet there.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:43 PM

What's the airstream?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
What's the airstream?
There was a plan/rumor that there would be an airstream travel trailer sitting on one of those large balconies on the building that would serve food.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There was a plan/rumor that there would be an airstream travel trailer sitting on one of those large balconies on the building that would serve food.
The airstream sits on the top roof terrace, which is Google's private space. I've seen photos of it being installed, so I know it exists, but I don't have access to photos.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:51 PM

MTM-ATX posted a couple photos of the trailer being hoisted up by crane on the previous page of this thread (Oct. 2016). But the photos have since gone private and the link doesn't work any more.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:35 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
MTM-ATX posted a couple photos of the trailer being hoisted up by crane on the previous page of this thread (Oct. 2016). But the photos have since gone private and the link doesn't work any more.
Maybe it's inside and is being used as a coffee kiosk or something...or a unique take on a private office in an "open" concept.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:31 PM

The AirStream trailer was hoisted up just before they took the tower crane down several months back. I happened to be walking by when they were doing this. It is located on the upper most patio on the NW corner of the building that will be Google space. I was recently at a friends house at Spring on an upper floor facing east and it was clearly visible on the patio. Next time our Drone friends are in the area they could take a photo. Nice amenity.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:02 PM

This Statesman article about office space says this one is completed.

From the article:

Quote:
In downtown Austin, the overall occupancy rate dipped from the first quarter, to 90.2 percent. Cushman & Wakefield said. Much of the increase, however, is due to the opening in May of 500 West 2nd, a new tower with 505,000 square feet of space. Though 95 percent leased, only a few tenants have moved in so far. Google will be leasing more than 200,000 square feet in the building, which CBRE is managing and leasing.
http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...mCpFAs9TcEdjL/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:13 AM
World Traveler

Do we know if there will be a "Google" logo or anything else on the tower at any point from any of the tenants?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin