HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Excuse my rant: Can we move on from talking about aviation? First, it was a silly topic- no hub will ever be established in NOLA. Airlines arent expanding, they are contracting and consolidating. Most hubs are hubs because they have a solid corporate base that need dozens of flights, compare the corporate economies of Dallas, Houston, Chicago and Atlanta and you can see we arent cut out for one.

This is a symbolic argument of a more relevant point. NOLA is never going to be a titan city of heavy industry and business again- sorry. But there is no shame in that if we choose sustainable industries and entrepreneurship and increase the quality of life for all. I'd rather be Austin than Houston...
I don't think it's such a silly topic. Just because airlines are consolidating doesn't mean the number of hubs in use go down. If air-traffic grows I don't see why there wouldn't be an opportunity for more hubs to be established. That being said, I don't think anyone is comparing us to Dallas, Houston, Chicago etc, but Memphis, Charlotte and Salt Lake City are also hubs and I think they are comparable cities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...#United_States

Also, I don't think increased business from through traffic would change New Orleans substantially other than having economic impact, so the statement about being more like Austin than Houston holds no correlation whatsoever to this topic

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Interesting updates on the Airports master plan. It appears the consolidated checkpoint idea has been dropped since traffic is projected to be to high in 5-7 years for that to be feasible.

http://www.facebook.com/hyattregency...s#!/MSYAirport
I'm not as thrilled about this as most of you are. One of the major problems our airport has is the lack of connection between the concourses. The fact that you have to leave the concourse and go through security again to go to another concourse makes us much less attractive as a hub. I thought the joining of the two concourses would be great for attracting through traffic. If they do not join the two concourses through the current plan, I hope they build some kind of connection in the future for passengers to be able to walk between concourses without having to pass through security again. This also makes it feasible to have restaurants inside with access to more passengers

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Excuse my rant: Can we move on from talking about aviation? First, it was a silly topic- no hub will ever be established in NOLA. Airlines arent expanding, they are contracting and consolidating. Most hubs are hubs because they have a solid corporate base that need dozens of flights, compare the corporate economies of Dallas, Houston, Chicago and Atlanta and you can see we arent cut out for one.
I don't think that it's all that silly. It may not be as important to some as what is being built down the street, but there have been developments in the last couple of years at MSY that carry more weight for the city than the facade at Walgreens. Is NOLA likely to become a hub, no but traffic is steadily growing which can also have an affect on development in this city. Hubs are not hubs because there is a need for dozens of flights, hubs are hubs because: A) the city is the hometown of the Airline, B) it establishes a presence in that region, or C) because it competes directly with another airline. At most hubs outside of NYC over 80% of the passengers are simply passing through. It does help the corporate sector by having flights to basically every destination. There's no way in hell that I foresee MSY becoming a hub, but who know it could make a nice focus city one day.

If you want to discuss something else, just change the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I'm not as thrilled about this as most of you are. One of the major problems our airport has is the lack of connection between the concourses. The fact that you have to leave the concourse and go through security again to go to another concourse makes us much less attractive as a hub. I thought the joining of the two concourses would be great for attracting through traffic. If they do not join the two concourses through the current plan, I hope they build some kind of connection in the future for passengers to be able to walk between concourses without having to pass through security again. This also makes it feasible to have restaurants inside with access to more passengers
I agree about it being a pain to get from concourse to concourse, but this would have no affect on people coming to the city.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Get it over it because it isn't all that silly. Is NOLA likely to become a hub, no but traffic is steadily growing which can also have an effect on development in this city. Hubs are not hubs because there is a need for dozens of flights, hubs are hubs because: A) the city is the hometown of the Airline, B) it establishes a presence in that region, or C) because it competes directly with another airline. At most hubs outside of NYC over 80% of the passengers are simply passing through. It does help the corporate sector by having flights to basically every destination. There's no way in hell that I forsee MSY becoming a hub, but who know it could make a nice focus city one day.
In my previous post, I mistook the United-Continental merger for a United-US Airways one.

I think if we are ever to become a focus city or anything again, we are actually fairly well positioned because we already have a busy airport for a city our size, and while most of that is tourism and thus usually looked at as a lower fare market, we already have quite a bit of built-in traffic. I'm not thinking we'll be the next Houston either, but I do agree that we could again be a focus city... we were last this with US Airways about 10 years ago with flights to Pensacola, Shreveport, etc. It seems our best chance right now to capture some connecting traffic would be with more flights to places like San Diego, as an alternative to Dallas-Love and Houston-Hobby as a Southwest switchover. We supported those flights pre-K, there's no reason to think we won't be able to again sometime in the near future. But over a long enough time frame anything is possible, especially with the forecasted continued growth in air traffic. Especially with a recovering economy (tourism) we should see our market grow.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
If you want to discuss something else, just change the topic.
Pretty sure I had two updates that followed that, so yes I would like to continue to discuss buildings, skyscrapers, etc. I'd recommend airlines. net if you'd like to float your ideas there...

1031 will go before the City Planning Commission on Tuesday. They apparently have free t-shirts if you show up to support, ha! Can someone please explain the process that would follow if it does or does not pass? Seems like that will be D-day for Mr. Kailas yes?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 7:33 PM

Quote:
1031 will go before the City Planning Commission on Tuesday. They apparently have free t-shirts if you show up to support, ha! Can someone please explain the process that would follow if it does or does not pass? Seems like that will be D-day for Mr. Kailas yes?
He has said that he will appeal to the full City Council instead of returning to the HDLC for another vote. If he is somehow convinced by Kristin Palmer to return to the HDLC, we can probably expect another revised set of drawings. Either way, expect there to be a few more months of needless delay.

If he does get the City Council's blessing, I wish he'd push for a return to his original design, which I liked the best. I feel the HDLC-altered design is far inferior, less architecturally appealing, and something I would never want to live in. Unfortunately, I've read nothing to indicate a return to the first design.

Does anyone else prefer the first design to the most recent?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 7:56 PM

old vs. new

Much prefer it the redesign. When you compare it with the designs of the Bioinnovation center, the historically modern Texaco center and the new hospital I think it will look better than the "conflicted" (art deco, faux historic, beach inspired...) original design and kinda of make that end of Canal more a collection of clean modern design.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:25 PM
on the south side

I prefer the re-design. It would look good here in Austin.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:37 PM
-

Good news. Iberia Bank has finally pulled permits for their bank on the corner of St Charles and Louisiana. That corner will look so much better when its all done.

Record 11COM-01060 :
Commercial New
Work Location 3412 ST CHARLES AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
Project Description:
CONSTRUCT A 3827 Sq Ft 2-STORY BANK WITH 3 DRIVE-UP LANES AS PER PLANS AND HDLC C/A # HDLCP-11-0895.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Kenn...126547263.html

Today the demolition began on JFK High School, in City Park. According to the article, two groups have been seeking the property from the School Board:

1. Loyola University to construct a baseball stadium.

2. City Park to build a new golf driving range.

Right now the land is zoned for parkspace, so any new construction would need a variance from the city.

I would be happy with either of those proposals, as I do not want to see any new private development inside the park. Outside the park, I wish the city would zone for much higher/denser development along City Park Ave., Marconi, and along Bayou St. John, to allow more people to live across the street from the park - like Central Park in NYC.
I like the idea of this generally, as long as it's not low income density, but where is there currently room in these areas for development?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:42 PM
-

Quote:
Much prefer it the redesign. When you compare it with the designs of the Bioinnovation center, the historically modern Texaco center and the new hospital I think it will look better than the "conflicted" (art deco, faux historic, beach inspired...) original design and kinda of make that end of Canal more a collection of clean modern design.
Its such a hard spot to design a building for because no matter what you do half the people will hate it for being modern than the other half will hate it for being faux-historic.

Anyone know what this is for on bidclerk?

1668011 New Orleans, LA Restaurant 08/02/2011
Description Tenant improvement for a regional chain restaurant in New Orleans. Working drawings call for the conversion of existing space into an approximately 9,000-square-foot restaurant including a bakery area, kitchen, bar, and dining room. General contra...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 9:59 PM

Anyone know what this is for on bidclerk?

1668011 New Orleans, LA Restaurant 08/02/2011
Description Tenant improvement for a regional chain restaurant in New Orleans. Working drawings call for the conversion of existing space into an approximately 9,000-square-foot restaurant including a bakery area, kitchen, bar, and dining room. General contra...Click here for complete Project Details
[/QUOTE]

Complete guess, maybe the Steakhouse going into the Dixie building?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
I like the idea of this generally, as long as it's not low income density, but where is there currently room in these areas for development?
Looking on google maps I see plenty of open and abandoned space along Bayou St. John north of Esplanade Ave. Plus, there's no reason the row of single-family homes facing City Park Ave. and Marconi couldn't be rezoned for medium density. Another big waste are Delgado's parking lots facing Marconi.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Looking on google maps I see plenty of open and abandoned space along Bayou St. John north of Esplanade Ave. Plus, there's no reason the row of single-family homes facing City Park Ave. and Marconi couldn't be rezoned for medium density. Another big waste are Delgado's parking lots facing Marconi.
Are you suggesting that the early 20th century homes facing the park on City Park Ave should be torn down to build higher density buildings?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure I had two updates that followed that, so yes I would like to continue to discuss buildings, skyscrapers, etc. I'd recommend airlines. net if you'd like to float your ideas there...
Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, since this is the New Orleans Project/Development thread which happens to lie in the general City Compilation forum and not one of the dedicared Hi-rise, Supertall, Transportation, or Engineering forums I will float whatever idea that crosses my mind or catches my attention as long as it pertains to a project and/or development in this city. Thank you. I apologize for infringing on your right to discuss buildings and skyscrapers. There is a scroll bar to the right.

Quote:
Does anyone else prefer the first design to the most recent?
For some time I favored the original, but the newer one has grown on me. I don't think that it's the greatest design and it screams LCRC to me, but I'm looking forward to seeing something modern in the area. I also think that the newer design might go a little better with Texaco and the other planned building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 4:30 AM
-

Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, since this is the New Orleans Project/Development thread which happens to lie in the general City Compilation forum and not one of the dedicared Hi-rise, Supertall, Transportation, or Engineering forums I will float whatever idea that crosses my mind or catches my attention as long as it pertains to a project and/or development in this city. Thank you. I apologize for infringing on your right to discuss buildings and skyscrapers. There is a scroll bar to the right.

Totally agreed! Airports and their function in a city are extremely important.

ANyway, doesnt someone on here have a bidclerk account? They could tell us what the restaurant bid is that I inquired about earlier!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcity View Post
Are you suggesting that the early 20th century homes facing the park on City Park Ave should be torn down to build higher density buildings?
Yes, if the market warranted such change. I was only thinking of the row of homes that immediately face the park, leaving the other 90% of the identical homes in that neighborhood alone. While those single-family homes are beautiful, they are not historically or architecturally unique. Imagine if New Orleanians had not torn down homes in the past, we would still have the Faubourg St. Marie, instead of the CBD and Warehouse District.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 6:30 AM

Lafitte Corridor

Just came across this awesome sketch from Waggonner & Ball of what the Lafitte Corridor would look like if Bayou St. John were allowed to stretch down it (as it once did many decades ago and prehistorically). I think this is an awesome idea. Bringing more waterfront to the city would be a huge property value boost to these neighborhoods, and give NOLA a more Venetian feel. Plus, the whole concept would be relatively pretty cheap, and reduce the heat island effect for a lot of property.

Last edited by Blitzen; Aug 4, 2011 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:53 PM

Drew Brees opening a Jimmy Johns in NOLA

From his Twitter page:

Can't wait for my 1st Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwich store to open in early Sept in New Orleans. Now under construction taps.la/qaSKhW
17 hours ago

Article

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 2:20 PM
-

Ive never eaten at one is the food any good?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations