Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Five World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 11:43 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Nope.

Neither one ain't got a damn thang ta doo wid it.

The funds simply stopped coming because the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America have in their upper management--i.e all of 'em--people who mismanage, misappropriate, squander, launder, embezzle και ούτω καθεξής (bla bla bla) monies they say are needed for the continued daily functioning of the organization. And they claim that this project is part and parcel of that functioning...i.e. the "Field of Dreams" principle applied to churchgoing matters.

But it's an ego trip thing, too...and a big one. Did you know that the original St. Nicholas Church (my empasis) was a repurposed dive bar? I didn't till my pastor informed me of it while we were talking about this whole mess.

Now the GOA wants to call this a "shrine" for practically no other reason than to brag about how they singlehandedly made the whole WTC complex some sort of quasi-holy "reflective space" for all faiths.

All right. I'll play along. If you're gonna do *that*, well and good if it beats your meat so you can feel all pious in a hedonistic, barbarian world and that sort of 9th Century-era pomposity. That's between you and the Deity to whom you bend the knee.

But don't use the faith I take drop-dead seriously to justify a potential boondoggle engendered by malfeasant activity.

Oh yeah...And when in six months this project still finds itself in it's present condition, I'll be most interested to find out if these carnival barkers in Byzantine-era liturgical garments can muster an intellectual defense against the inevitable backlash.

Rant over. In future, I'll debate this project on is merits...if it should ever find itself in possession of any.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Jan 1, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Zombified Plans Revealed For Supertall 5 World Trade Center

Quote:
With 175 Greenwich Street nearing its opening day and 200 Greenwich Street hopefully expected to begin construction within the next few years, most of the World Trade Center’s rebuilding is nearing completion. But one major hole in Downtown’s fabric still remains, at the site of the former Deutsche Bank Building. Plans for a pot-bellied skyscraper had been proposed around the time of the tower’s demolition, but in the years since, the plot had seemingly been forgotten, and is currently covered in asphalt. Today, YIMBY has a major update on the site, thanks to zombified plans from Chinese developer Dalian Wanda Group, which would yield a new residential and hotel supertall designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox.

The plans were created back in 2014, when Wanda and a handful of additional Chinese developers were embarking on a major international property development spree. While several of their projects made it past the planning stages, the Chinese government has since begun a sharp crackdown on this practice, which has seemingly halted anything additional entering the pipeline on their behalf.

Nevertheless, the fully-fleshed proposal would have placed KPF’s design on the site of the old Deutsche Bank, far surpassing its bulky predecessor in terms of skyline impact. The building would have two separate lobbies for the hotel and residential components, with the hotel occupying the first dozen or so floors, and the residential located above that.

Besides the height, which would put the pinnacle around 1,050 feet, the hotel lobby would include a seven-story atrium, making for a fairly dramatic base. Additionally, there would be a major retail component in the form of a department store.

The tower’s total area would measure over 1.4 million square feet, with 240 rooms over 350,000 square feet of hotel space, 200,000 square feet of retail for the department store, and about 850,000 square feet for condominiums.

[...]

While Wanda Group’s plans are unlikely to be realized due to the Chinese government’s crackdown on overseas real estate, the re-conception by Kohn Pedersen Fox is certainly a sign that the site is actively being considered for development, and is a major improvement over what had previously been anticipated to rise.

No official word on the site’s progress has been released in years, and any tentative completion date for whatever does result remains under wraps.
===================
NYY

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:16 AM
World Machine

Only a matter of time until something materializes … the land is too valuable to remain idle.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah anything less than a super tall would be a waste. Its prime land. Better I think to wait, as we have been, for something stellar to rise. Part of me would want this site as office to keep in tune with the surroundings, but a residential could work. I just hope if its a residential, it keep in line with a high unit count. Any sort of ultra-luxury tower with its low unit counts would be a waste. Not really using the strategic location for its advantage. Now, a 700-1200 unit tower, sure... thats nice! Or alternatively, an office tower 1-1.5 mil-sq ft.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:45 PM

The KPF plan looks pretty decent. If we get something like that, I'd be happy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Nevertheless, the fully-fleshed proposal would have placed KPF’s design on the site of the old Deutsche Bank, far surpassing its bulky predecessor in terms of skyline impact. The building would have two separate lobbies for the hotel and residential components, with the hotel occupying the first dozen or so floors, and the residential located above that.

Besides the height, which would put the pinnacle around 1,050 feet, the hotel lobby would include a seven-story atrium, making for a fairly dramatic base. Additionally, there would be a major retail component in the form of a department store.
We could still get something similar on this site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
This is why Calatrava shouldn't be allowed to practice architecture. It's supposed to be a discipline that merges creativity with practicality. Calatrava always falls short on the latter.
I'm shocked Calatrava still gets any work at all, nearly all his projects are known for consistent physical and financial failures on an absurd level. Truly the worst "starchitect" of this generation.

Don't hire Calatrava.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:02 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Edit to my previous rant on this project:

I have a FB friend who knows what's really going on in this saga.

Apparently the Archdiocese, which has indeed been audited and I'll leave it at that, has discovered what I and everyone else here now fully know to be true:

Santiago Calatrava is a גנבֿ. <Think "The P.T. Barnum of the architectural realm".

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:50 PM

Well, if its built as per the renderings, I'm all for it. And again, enough with the bids, just build the darn thing as per the most recent render and we all can rejoice and celebrate the completion of this area

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:26 PM

Scroll up xD

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:59 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Edit to my previous rant on this project:

I have a FB friend who knows what's really going on in this saga.

Apparently the Archdiocese, which has indeed been audited and I'll leave it at that, has discovered what I and everyone else here now fully know to be true:

Santiago Calatrava is a גנבֿ. <Think "The P.T. Barnum of the architectural realm".
If you look at a picture of the original church (that was destroyed), the new church makes no sense. They obviously don't have enough members for a huge cathedral size building like that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:26 PM

Is there a thread for tower 2?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Is there a thread for tower 2?
Here you go

NEW YORK | 200 Greenwich - 2 WTC | 1,270 FT | 80 FLOORS
(Click me)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Thanks! i dont know why i had such a hard time finding it, appreciate it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 9:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I'm shocked Calatrava still gets any work at all, nearly all his projects are known for consistent physical and financial failures on an absurd level. Truly the worst "starchitect" of this generation.

Don't hire Calatrava.
no. his forte is the footbridge. that he can do.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:37 AM

New renders going up at the site.

[credit]

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
New renders going up at the site.

[credit]

Last edited by JMKeynes; May 31, 2018 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:43 PM
Desert Dweller

Another boring geometric glass box...yawn. There is a small part of me that does like the design, it might actually compliment One WTC and the other towers really well. Plus it looks about the right height to complete the whole spiral effect the WTC has going on, obviously we'll have to wait until the official renderings are released before we can properly critique the design. I'm just excited to see this space finally filled!

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:46 PM
BANNED

It looks amazing to me. Any city in the world would love to have it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals