HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 5:29 AM
Meh

For new mayor, time changes everything

For new mayor, time changes everything
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...verything.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by the above article
Four years after being considered too young, too risky and too polarizing, Julián Castro not only became the safe choice for San Antonio mayor, he became the overwhelming choice.

With a margin that would've bordered on unthinkable even a couple of months ago, Castro's dominant win took the 34-year-old attorney from thinking about another potentially heartbreaking runoff to actually riding into office with a bigger political stick than previously imagined.

The economy, a tough job market and a looming city budget deficit will cool talk about a mandate.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 5:35 AM
Meh

So, I hadn't kept up with the San Antonio elections at all, but what do you guys think of him? Where does he stand on things for San Antonio?

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:21 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, I hadn't kept up with the San Antonio elections at all, but what do you guys think of him? Where does he stand on things for San Antonio?
cares about inner loop neighborhoods
understands downtown's importance
is a proponent of growing residential presence DT
huge fan of light rail

with new term limits in place, castro could be the mayor for 8 years. that gives him enough time to accomplish major things - let's hope he gets more right than wrong...

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 2:18 PM

Never spoke to him personally, but I did attend a couple of his events/fundraisers, which included his "Night for New Urban Renaissance in San Antonio" at the Friedrich Building. It was pretty interesting, and I like to see that he had an open mind about things, which will happen when you see other parts of the US. There were a couple of developers from Portland there that showed examples of reuse projects in Portland and some possible ones here. I asked him (or whoever reads/responds to his email) about what he plans to do to make DT SA better and he responded that he "plans to make it a vibrant & lively 24/7 downtown, and refocus development to the heart of the city instead of the overdeveloped north side." He talked about BRAC with a sense of urgency, which is what made me pay attention to him. I think he recognizes that this is going to be big for SA but yet nobody in SA is making that big of a deal about it. He also understands that building more roads is not the only way to solve traffic problems/complaints.

I think if he has the opportunity to get alot of things accomplished since alot of the groundwork has been laid and SA is at a tipping point.
If he:
  • continues with art programs and parks in a similar fashion to Hardbergers approach
  • lure, or at least attempt to lure a couple of HQ's here, even if they are smaller in scale
  • embrace BRAC to the fullest, or any federal $$ that could roll in, like the NSA
  • follows through on transportation option issues &
  • refocuses development to DT
then alot can get accomplished in the next 8 years.
I think it will be interesting to watch what happens to DTSA, as if I needed an excuse to keep close watch.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 3:48 PM
Bears of antiquity

Ohhhhhhhhhh, hallelujah!

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
He talked about BRAC with a sense of urgency, which is what made me pay attention to him. I think he recognizes that this is going to be big for SA but yet nobody in SA is making that big of a deal about it.
The reason most people aren't making a big deal is because it is a large influx of more military personell in a city already nicknamed Military City USA. The military constantly changes and shifts operations. Before BRAC has cost us personell... this time we will gain. I'd much rather see several thousand high paying private sector jobs (corporate expansions to SA would be awesome). Plus, the city bends over backwards (and then some!) to please local military officials. This has cost us lots of $ and has turned the city against some prominent business officials. They are already trying to get the city to halt construction within 3 miles of Camp Bullis (most of Stone Oak, La Cantera, UTSA, Valero headquarters, The Rim, etc.). I know this is the suburbs, but it has already been built and too late to stop it now If all you want to be known for is that city people live in while training then this is a great boom. If you're more interested in permanent relocations and viable growth you probably don't care much about an extra 10,000 TEMPORARY citizens.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:36 PM
James

I personally think he is going to be great, he has a video of himself downtown talking about everything he wants to accomplish for it on his website.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The reason most people aren't making a big deal is because it is a large influx of more military personell in a city already nicknamed Military City USA. The military constantly changes and shifts operations. Before BRAC has cost us personell... this time we will gain. I'd much rather see several thousand high paying private sector jobs (corporate expansions to SA would be awesome). Plus, the city bends over backwards (and then some!) to please local military officials. This has cost us lots of $ and has turned the city against some prominent business officials. They are already trying to get the city to halt construction within 3 miles of Camp Bullis (most of Stone Oak, La Cantera, UTSA, Valero headquarters, The Rim, etc.). I know this is the suburbs, but it has already been built and too late to stop it now If all you want to be known for is that city people live in while training then this is a great boom. If you're more interested in permanent relocations and viable growth you probably don't care much about an extra 10,000 TEMPORARY citizens.
Funny how people in "Military City USA" think of the Military as just being "TEMPORARY citizens." I'm sure thats not how SA got their nickname, by thinking so highly of the Military. Anyways, a self given nickname doesn't count for much. Fayetteville, NC with Fort Bragg has the same one. They've got over 50K soldiers there. Their city of 210K relies on these temp jobs and their families to survive. Would I choose their city over ours?? No. I am happy we have the Medical Department here at Ft. Sam and BAMC along with all the other things SA has to offer.

And I think it will have a much larger splash in the pool than you think.
Not all of BRAC is for training, and we are not getting alot of Airborne Infantry or Artillery here (no offense to anyone out there, I was stationed at Ft. Bragg before, nothing to brag about), we are also getting Medical specialties and Research and the expansion of Fort Sam services (PX, Commisary, BAMC) which attracts alot of well-off retirees to call SA home once they've done their time.

The jobs are permanent, just not most of the people. Included are civilian positions which are much more permanent. I'm moving to BAMC in Feb. 2/3 of my unit are civilians not originally from SA and a few make well over six figures.

BRAC includes alot of movement of research, research support, and entire military units moving here. Its not just a bunch of people in uniform marching around and sitting in class. These units have budgets and just like the guys flying AF1 around NYC "wasting money", if they don't use $$ they lose $$, 10 time out of 10 they use it. SAIC, CACI, NG, GD, BAH and other contractors, with high paying jobs follow Fed $$ around to put it ($$) to good use. So in effect, BRAC is creating more than just these TEMP jobs.

My GF works at one of these companies DT and they have 2 floors full in a DT building. They have been hiring 3-4 new people each month and will continue to do so for the rest of the year. I know that this is not thousands of jobs but if each company does this, then we are talking about a few hundred jobs added just this year. Just like the anticipation of the NSA at Westover is adding to the amount of IT and cleared personel here in SA, other companies will look to move here because we will have qualified individuals here in masses.

My point about it is also on the economic side; 10K temporary, and about 3-4K living here for 3+ years and alot of permanent jobs is more than just people driving through and staying at a hotel for a night or two, and it will be more of an impact than adding a small college campus here. It is going to have a much greater economic impact than you think it will. The fact is that around 12K+ people are moving here (some longer than others) that have jobs, higher than average salary for SA and at least half will bring spouses, and at least half of those will have kids. Those families don't sit at home. They spend money, they pay rent, they buy houses, they go to school, they go shopping, they drive on our roads and they fly out of our airport; and since alot of them are not permanent, they will be using the airport alot to get from Great Lakes to SAT, and from SAT to wherever their next station is going to be. Higher demand for homes, apartments, hotels, retail, food, and everything that is already here
We are not in better shape than most other US cities by mistake. DC was the only city to get more Fed $$ for construction and BRAC.

I didn't say other companies moving here was a bad thing. I just think BRAC will have a larger economic impact than, say, Whataburger. A big deal should have been made. Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to make improvements in the Walters/Houston St. area? Corporate jobs following the Fed $$ is what is needed for sustainable growth as well. We can grow on the private side too. Don't you think Detroit wishes they had more than their private sector corporate jobs right now?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; May 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 11:24 PM
Meh

It's good to know he's for revitalizing downtown and refocusing on it. I'd like to see more revitalizing projects in the form of restoring old buildings, but also some more new stuff to excite people again about going downtown. Do away with the ridiculous HDRC board, or at least reform it. There's not enough getting done there that is actually helping in restoring old reusable buildings that actually do have some history tied to them or else that are architecturally appealing.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 5:19 AM

downtown. airport. rail lines. jobs need to be his focus

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 5:55 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I hope he really follows through with Hardberger's Hemisfair redevelopment project. That will be big for downtown.

I also happy we now have new terms.

Lastly, we as citizens need to make our new Mayor aware of how detrimental the HDRC is and let him know that something needs to be done with that group.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio