HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:01 PM
National Capital Region

Here is the plaza where Cabela's will go, just beside Tanger
http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-12-15-0016

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Here is the plaza where Cabela's will go, just beside Tanger
http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-12-15-0016
It can't be all bad (as per the Planning Rationale report).

'The interior will feature thousands of quality outdoor products, as well as museum quality wildlife displays, a mountain display with a waterfall, gun library, bargain cave, indoor archery range and archery tech room, and a fudge shop'.

That last feature really comes across as a clanger.

I've been in a Cabella's in suburban St Louis. Definitely a favourite of the Duck Dynasty demographic. I'm sure they do well in Branson.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:25 PM

Wow, that is a ****load of parking!

What a shame that a site in such close proximity to future light rail is being dedicated so heavily to cars...

I guess it would be too much to hope for City Council to NOT approve this!?!?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:29 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post

What a shame that a site in such close proximity to future light rail is being dedicated so heavily to cars...

The Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments were already approved by Council in October... the site plan application looks more at the building layout, parking, snow storage, garbage collection etc. Council is not involved unless the local Councillor requests it be brought up to Planning Committee.
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=320788

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Feb 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:

It will likely be a minimum of 20 years before LRT gets there. Right now all its got is a 30-minute bus.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:

If I'm going to buy home furnishings or a new boat at Cabela's I don't think OC Transpo will let me hook it up behind their LRT cars for me to bring it home. So taking transit here wouldn't be optimal. Also - seems like this development is trying to attract people living in the far west (Stittsville, Carp, Arnprior) and people heading out that way camping so perhaps this is why it is very heavy on the parking.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:40 PM

A Manderin Buffet restaurant is opening in September where the old Petcetera was on 10th Line in Orleans.

http://www.mandarinrestaurant.com/

I think this is the first location in Ottawa right? Most of their restaurants are in the GTA.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 1:29 AM
National Capital Region

latest plan for Shoppers City East

http://trinity-group.com/property/shoppers-city-east/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:24 AM

Oh how sad! I recall seeing (pre-Costco) renderings for this place a year or two ago and it actually looked much more promising!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 12:46 PM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 1:52 PM

That Big box and gas station set up should be rotated by 90 degrees so that the gas station is closer Montreal Rd, instead of being tucked away like that in the corner by the highway and soccer field.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:33 PM

What a sad, sad waste of land.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
That Big box and gas station set up should be rotated by 90 degrees so that the gas station is closer Montreal Rd, instead of being tucked away like that in the corner by the highway and soccer field.
The Gas Station was probably meant to be a "Costco" Gas Bar.. where people would go out of their way to find..

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:21 PM
Busy Beaver

400 meters from an LRT station and they do this?!?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

East end Costco is on the move
Developer Trinity Group and Costco reps to hold public meeting May 5 to go over plans with community

By Michelle Nash, Ottawa East News
Apr 28, 2016

Costco in Ottawa’s east end is getting ready to make a move, but before they do that they want to meet with residents.

The developer’s for Shoppers City East, Trinity Group, will hold a public consultation concerning the application to build a Costco store on the Ogilvie Road and Blair Place property.

The plan is to build the store in the back half of the lot – where the Giant Tiger, Staples and Fabricland used to be located – creating parking for at least 2,000 cars as well as promising six entries into the shopping centre and seven exits.

Beacon Hill-Cyrville Coun. Tim Tierney confirmed Costco is planning to make the move from its existing location and that Trinity Group will be holding a public meeting about the development on May 5 at the Earl Armstrong Arena between 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“Trinity will speak with the community and explain what is going on in the area,” Tierney said.

Currently, Costco is located at the corner of Innes Road and Cyrville Road, a location that has only about 800 parking spaces, the councillor said. The existing site also restricts entry with only two entrances and one exit – which is typically directed by a traffic cop on busy shopping days. Tierney said he believes the new location will eliminate the need of a traffic cop.

The new Costco location will also offer gas – something that is not available at the Innes location.

According to Tierney, aside from Costco moving into the back half of the lot at Shoppers City East, there will be a diverse amount of retail at the front end of the property, where currently a new Shoppers Drug Mart is already under construction and the remainder of the development will include a new Gabriel’s Pizza outlet as well as more than 20 other restaurants and retail shops.

The Beer Store will also be returning to the site. Tierney said it hopes to be open by November 2016, and would be located in the opposite corner of the Shoppers, where the old Gabriel’s Pizza used to be. Currently a temporary trailer is on the site, serving the area.

Those car-breaking speed bumps have already been removed from the site, Tierney added.

Although the retail zoning for the site does not require Trinity Group to hold consultations with the public, the councillor asked the developer to host the public meeting in an effort to inform residents living in the area what is to be expected at the site.

Tierney added that he has been told that Trinity Group are working with the city’s top traffic engineers and that the new location for the bulk shopping food store Costco will be a very different model from the previous site.

“I have asked them to explain the traffic impacts at the meeting,” Tierney said. “They feel confident that they have done the studies, but they will have to explain to the community how they will manage traffic.”

Aside from traffic, Tierney said he also has asked the developer to discuss the project’s timeline, jobs and how the local community will be affected.

“I want to see local hiring,” Tierney said, adding that residents along Jasmine Crescent could benefit greatly from the Costco move.

“I don’t think anyone begrudges the jobs that will come to the community,” Tierney said. “The only concern will be about traffic. They will have to manage traffic, and explain traffic.”

The May 5 meeting will be a drop-in open house. Representatives from Trinity Group and Costco will be in attendance with visual displays of the new plans.

Tierney said he has been told that the developer plans to submit it’s application to the city in the upcoming weeks and that is why this meeting is taking place on short notice.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...s-on-the-move/

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 11:51 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Costco plans for Ogilvie Road draw criticism from neighbours
Developer needs to submit traffic study to city staff before proceeding

By Hillary Johnstone, CBC News Posted: May 06, 2016 6:24 AM ET Last Updated: May 06, 2016 6:24 AM ET

Some residents who live near Blair and Ogilvie roads are upset with plans to build a new Costco in the neighbourhood because of fears the surrounding streets couldn't handle the hundreds of extra vehicles the store might attract.

As many as 300 people turned up at a public information session on Thursday evening to see the plans and speak with representatives from Costco and the developer, Trinity Group.

The plans call for the front portion of the site, which is directly along Ogilvie Road, to house new retail including a Gabriel's Pizza and The Beer Store.

The Costco would be built on the back part of the property, adjacent to Highway 174.

Trinity Group's plans show there would be several entry and exit points to help the traffic flow, and more than 800 parking spaces.

But some area residents at the open house said Ogilvie Road simply can't handle the extra vehicle traffic, including Beacon Hill South resident Louise Michaud.

Michaud said Ogilvie is already "very congested" at peak hours, and she's worried a Costco would make it even worse.

"For the residents in this neighbourhood this is going to be a real problem," said Michaud. "I'm a member of Costco. I'm not going to renew my membership if they come in my neighbourhood."

The area's city councillor, Tim Tierney, said reaction from residents has been "mixed."

"I think people are very excited about possible jobs, possible rejuvenation of the community," said Tierney. "But the biggest issue I've heard is traffic … I completely support the constituency on that."

Other residents expressed concerns the public hasn't been properly consulted about the site plans, and that building the new Costco is a "done deal."

But Tierney said the developer must submit an engineered traffic study to the city before it can proceed.

A spokesperson for Costco Canada said if the new Ogilvie location is built, there will be "no need" for its existing Cyrville Road store.

The Ogilvie Costco could open as soon as fall 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ffic-1.3569403

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Costco plans for Ogilvie Road draw criticism from neighbours
Developer needs to submit traffic study to city staff before proceeding

By Hillary Johnstone, CBC News Posted: May 06, 2016 6:24 AM ET Last Updated: May 06, 2016 6:24 AM ET

Some residents who live near Blair and Ogilvie roads are upset with plans to build a new Costco in the neighbourhood because of fears the surrounding streets couldn't handle the hundreds of extra vehicles the store might attract.

As many as 300 people turned up at a public information session on Thursday evening to see the plans and speak with representatives from Costco and the developer, Trinity Group.

The plans call for the front portion of the site, which is directly along Ogilvie Road, to house new retail including a Gabriel's Pizza and The Beer Store.

The Costco would be built on the back part of the property, adjacent to Highway 174.

Trinity Group's plans show there would be several entry and exit points to help the traffic flow, and more than 800 parking spaces.

But some area residents at the open house said Ogilvie Road simply can't handle the extra vehicle traffic, including Beacon Hill South resident Louise Michaud.

Michaud said Ogilvie is already "very congested" at peak hours, and she's worried a Costco would make it even worse.

"For the residents in this neighbourhood this is going to be a real problem," said Michaud. "I'm a member of Costco. I'm not going to renew my membership if they come in my neighbourhood."

The area's city councillor, Tim Tierney, said reaction from residents has been "mixed."

"I think people are very excited about possible jobs, possible rejuvenation of the community," said Tierney. "But the biggest issue I've heard is traffic … I completely support the constituency on that."

Other residents expressed concerns the public hasn't been properly consulted about the site plans, and that building the new Costco is a "done deal."

But Tierney said the developer must submit an engineered traffic study to the city before it can proceed.

A spokesperson for Costco Canada said if the new Ogilvie location is built, there will be "no need" for its existing Cyrville Road store.

The Ogilvie Costco could open as soon as fall 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ffic-1.3569403

She knows she could WALK to costco if they come into her neighborhood?

"I'm a member of Costco. I'm not going to renew my membership if they come in my neighbourhood."

Rest of the City says "Moving the costco will cause much LESS traffic congestion and simplify our lives from what currently exists"

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
She knows she could WALK to costco if they come into her neighborhood?

"I'm a member of Costco. I'm not going to renew my membership if they come in my neighbourhood."

Rest of the City says "Moving the costco will cause much LESS traffic congestion and simplify our lives from what currently exists"
Yeah, and this actually puts a Costco relatively close to rapid transit, which is a rarity.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Nope. It's just moving the Costco generated traffic from Innes to Ogilvie. As someone who lives in the area, I'm not too thrilled with the prospect of more traffic on that stretch of Ogilvie.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yeah, and this actually puts a Costco relatively close to rapid transit, which is a rarity.
What a waste, no one that is going to Costco is taking rapid transit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs