HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 8:46 PM

So Pinball will be more of a team president type than an actual GM which makes sense. They gotta focus on kids and families, millennials in Toronto won't support CFL its not cool enough for them. When the argos have bobble head promos and CNE games they usually get a bump in attendance of 4000 fans or so. If they can couple game day promos year round with cheap tickets for kids and opening up that upper deck it will create a much better atmosphere and look on tv.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:34 PM

Blue Bombers just acquired Zach Collaros in a trade. I sure hope he can stay healthy as the Bomber D is great but it is proven Streveler is a one dimensional running quarterback who cannot seem to read pass coverage. https://www.cfl.ca/2019/10/09/bomber...ollaros-argos/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:28 AM

How Pinball’s hiring could affect the Blue Bombers
John Hodge 3downnation October 9, 2019

What do front office changes in Toronto have to do with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers?

A lot more than you’d think.

Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons was introduced as the Toronto Argonauts’ new general manager on Tuesday after Jim Popp was fired in his third year with the team.

Corey Chamblin is under contract with the Argonauts through 2021, which means he will be in the running to remain the club’s head coach next season. Given his team’s struggles, however, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Clemons hire a new bench boss next season.

Enter Mike O’Shea (maybe).

Clemons and O’Shea worked together closely in Toronto for 11 years, first as teammates (1996-1999) and later as a coach and player (2001-2007). Clemons was also the vice-chairman in Toronto when O’Shea was hired as the team’s special teams coordinator in 2010.

The two have a strong relationship and share similar philosophies. They are also two of the most recognizable figures in the modern history of the Argonauts.

If you want to change the culture in Toronto — and win back fans in the process — you can’t do much better than Clemons and O’Shea.

Some may wonder why O’Shea would leave Winnipeg, which is a fair question.

O’Shea is the CFL’s longest-tenured head coach and his club recently clinched a playoff spot for the fourth consecutive season. The Blue Bombers are 54-51 under his watch and he remains popular with players and members of his coaching staff.

Looking deeper, the number of reasons O’Shea why could leave add up quickly.

O’Shea has strong ties to southern Ontario. Born in North Bay, O’Shea played at the University of Guelph before spending his 16-year CFL career with Hamilton and Toronto.

His son (also named Mike) is now playing football for his alma mater. O’Shea is Guelph royalty — he holds a number of team records and was inducted to the Gryphon Sports Hall of Fame in 2007. Doesn’t it make sense for O’Shea to move closer to his son? His community?

There’s also the fact that O’Shea isn’t under contract for next season. That’s not because the Bombers haven’t offered him a new contract — it’s because O’Shea chose not to commit to Winnipeg beyond 2019.

Turning down a contract extension — which he’s done multiple times, per source — could be a negotiating tactic, but the CFL’s operations cap prevents teams from spending lucrative amounts of money on coaches.

If O’Shea departs for Toronto, three candidates will top Winnipeg’s wish list to become the club’s next head coach.

Paul LaPolice has coveted a second head coaching opportunity since he was fired by Joe Mack in 2012. He already has extensive control over the team’s offensive personnel, so wearing the big headset — with protege Buck Pierce presumably taking over as offensive coordinator — would make for a smooth transition.

Khari Jones has been excellent in Montreal since taking over as the team’s head coach just prior to the regular season. Jones has strong ties to Winnipeg and has a close relationship with club CEO Wade Miller — the two were teammates for five years (2000-2004). He is not under contract with the Alouettes beyond this season.

Tommy Condell has excelled as the offensive coordinator in Hamilton, taking over for the departed June Jones. Condell has a close relationship with star quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, who happens to be a pending free agent. If the Blue Bombers covet Masoli — and they should — hiring Condell could help lure Masoli to Winnipeg.

There’s no guarantee that O’Shea will leave the Blue Bombers this off-season, but there are people around the CFL who believe it’s entirely possible that he will be in Toronto in 2020.

The Argonauts and Blue Bombers don’t have much in common. The teams don’t share a division and their records are very different.

But until Mike O’Shea decides where he’s coaching next season, they share a pretty significant connection.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:33 AM

O'Shea makes sense in Toronto and Lapolice here in Winnipeg deserves a second chance at being Bombers head coach as he lives here year round and his wife is a Manitoban and his child goes to school here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:40 AM

Will be an interesting off season to see where Arbuckle, Evans, Nichols and Massoli end up signing and which one Toronto gets.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:49 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Will be an interesting off season to see where Arbuckle, Evans, Nichols and Massoli end up signing and which one Toronto gets.
Evans is signed through 2021. Apparently it's an incentive-laden deal, but I could see the Cats top it up if he becomes the undisputed #1.

Masoli is interesting. He may be on the shelf for the first part of the season rehabbing his ACL, but he deserves to start and may feel he needs to leave for another team to do that. Despite the wisdom of keeping two starting-calibre QBs, the Ticats may decide the cap can't support JM and DE.

Bethel-Thompson is unsigned for 2020 as well, and made strides this year without a strong supporting cast. Given one, how much would his ability translate to wins?

Fajardo remains unsigned past this season though the Riders would be foolish to let him walk. And they realize it, initiating negotiations recently... but given that a few teams will be desperately seeking signal-callers does that make their overtures harder to listen to?

Does Adams stay with the Als? I believe he's coming up on FA too.

An interesting off-season for QBs is definitely on the way.

EDIT: Another thing... will the XFL affect any of this, if that league does start next year? I need to see success before I believe XFL will have legs, but two head coaches are ex-CFL (June Jones and Marc Trestman) and more people in coaching/management have Canadian football connections. They're slated to begin play before CFL free agency, but if promised a 2020 mid-season debut and 2021 contract, will that lure some CFL quarterbacks?

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Oct 10, 2019 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
O'Shea makes sense in Toronto and Lapolice here in Winnipeg deserves a second chance at being Bombers head coach as he lives here year round and his wife is a Manitoban and his child goes to school here.
The Bomber fan base is getting pretty restive, I don't think there is a ton of patience for O'Shea anymore. I get that it isn't his fault that Nichols got injured, but a QB injury shouldn't reduce a team to a total pile of crap either.

Let's put it this way, I'm not sure that announcing a 3 year extension for O'Shea is going to do a lot to sell season tickets and sponsorships for next season.

As for the QB musical chairs, reading that list is making my head spin. I wish the CFL found a way to encourage longer-term deals. Let's say 3 or 4 year contracts as the standard. It ruins the fun a bit when you have so many prominent starters changing teams all the time.

But that said, as a Bomber fan, I'd be thrilled to see VA in Winnipeg. Much like O'Shea, Nichols deserves a pat on the back, a thank you for all his hard work, and a one way ticket out of town.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:13 PM

I thought the sale of the Als was going to be announced by the end of September to the Lenkov bros? I don't trust those guys as I don't think they have the amount of resources needed to run a team and living in L.A. for 33 years now their local connections are weak. I hope someone more stable can own this team.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I thought the sale of the Als was going to be announced by the end of September to the Lenkov bros? I don't trust those guys as I don't think they have the amount of resources needed to run a team and living in L.A. for 33 years now their local connections are weak. I hope someone more stable can own this team.
There's no great rush, the situation has stabilized remarkably. The team is doing well and the fans are coming back. At the prices the Als charge for tickets I'd think they're probably doing reasonably well on the whole. Maybe Wetenhall shouldn't have pulled out precisely at the franchise's lowest point in the last 20 years... he could've made some money.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:04 PM

The alouettes cannot make money playing at Molson they can just hope to break even maybe when they sell the place out again

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
The alouettes cannot make money playing at Molson they can just hope to break even maybe when they sell the place out again
How much are they paying on their lease? 20 thousand tickets at an average ticket of fifty bucks a pop is a million dollars a game... that wouldn't be far off from what they're getting now... that's a lot of scratch considering that TV pays most of the player payroll.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:08 PM

Only 3 CFL teams made money last year Riders Bombers and Esks

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Only 3 CFL teams made money last year Riders Bombers and Esks
Well yeah, I'm not surprised that the Als lost money last year given what a mess of a team that they were. But I'm saying that if the Als are playing and drawing reasonably well and meet the modest goal of bringing in a million bucks a game in ticket revenue, how are they not making money? Is the lease at McGill $7 million a season, or what?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Are these brothers that far removed from Montreal? I did not know that.

I know they still have more local roots than Wethenhall had but in order to re-energize the franchise optimally you really need someone who is well plugged in to business, the media and even showbizz.

Nothing against the Lenkovs but the Éric Lapointe group would probably have been more optimal for that.

And before anyone asks, not just because they're francophones. Remember that the previous Alouettes renaissance was masterfully orchestrated by Larry Smith - who was extremely well connected locally.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well yeah, I'm not surprised that the Als lost money last year given what a mess of a team that they were. But I'm saying that if the Als are playing and drawing reasonably well and meet the modest goal of bringing in a million bucks a game in ticket revenue, how are they not making money? Is the lease at McGill $7 million a season, or what?
Running a CFL team is between $18 and $26 million a year TSN tv deal pays $4.5 million per team the new deal next year will be $5.5 million per team but lower if Halifax becomes the 10th franchise.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Running a CFL team is between $18 and $26 million a year TSN tv deal pays $4.5 million per team the new deal next year will be $5.5 million per team but lower if Halifax becomes the 10th franchise.
Assuming that's true, then the rough cocktail napkin math for next season is something like this

Ticket revenue $10 million
TV revenue $5.5 million
Sponsorships $4 million
Concessions, merch, radio rights, whatever else $2 million

Total take $21.5 million

That should be enough to pay the bills and leave something left over.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:13 PM

those numbers look right to me I don't know what the Als rent is with McGill

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
those numbers look right to me I don't know what the Als rent is with McGill
Is $10 million ticket revenue realistic? At 20,000 paid, that’s $50 per ticket average (supposing $1m per game). With all the discounting, that sounds high for most teams.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:34 PM

low end tickets are usually 20 bucks and the prime seats go usually from 80 to 120 around the league so 50 buck average ticket sounds about right say at the 25 yard line?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Is $10 million ticket revenue realistic? At 20,000 paid, that’s $50 per ticket average (supposing $1m per game). With all the discounting, that sounds high for most teams.
Considering that the only seats for Alouettes games that are below $50 a pop are the small end zone section and a couple of corner sections, I'd wager that the average fan is already paying north of $50 a ticket.

Generally speaking, under fifty bucks doesn't get you much at a football game anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada