HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Chongqing World Financial Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chongqing Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 10:04 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

CHONGQING | Chongqing World Financial Centre | 339 M / 1112 FT | 72 FLOORS

Renders

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
By iLH

Construction status as of September 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
By iLH

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 1:42 AM
Big City Enthusiast

This is going to be a beauty.

Chongqing is blossoming, and in the correct way!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 3:00 AM
BANNED

To my knowledge, this is the largest city in the world with 35m people.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
To my knowledge, this is the largest city in the world with 35m people.
Yes, it is the world's largest city in one category; single government control over an area. The CQ municipality is roughly 35 million people - far larger than any other city or metro.

However, CQ itself defines its urban area to be quite a compact area that is roughly 10 million people. This is basically the Chongqing Metropolitan Area. Chongqing city itself is seen as the core 4 or 5 districts, all very small in area - and this adds up to about 6 million. Outside of the central city and metro, sits mostly rural and towns/small cities still within Chongqing City Government control but certainly not the contiguous urban concubation we see in Tokyo-Yokohama, Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe, or Shanghai. In reality, those rural areas could have stayed with Sichuan or gone to other provinces but it is this which gives CQ city room to grow and expand.

So it depends upon how you define things, Chongqing is the world's biggest city in population but it is based on single government control and not (YET) urbanized conglomeration. I think we all can agree that Tokyo-Yokohama (Kanto region) is the world's biggest urban area and metro but Chongqing Municipality is bigger, the world's biggest single government area.

Give it time and CQ will legitimately take over all titles in the world's biggest city/metro.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 3:28 AM
Website Manager

Here's Koops65's drawing which won the recent SSP drawing competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Here is my drawing of the Chongqing World Financial Center, 339M 73floors:

World Financial Center Chongqing 339m 73fl(4) by koops65, on Flickr

It's not full size, more like 75%, since I can only post images with a maximum of 1024 pixels and the drawing is 1356 pixels high.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 5:29 AM
Big City Enthusiast

very nice and is going to add to the Jeifangbei skyline nicely.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 8:47 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Yes, it is the world's largest city in one category; single government control over an area. The CQ municipality is roughly 35 million people - far larger than any other city or metro.

However, CQ itself defines its urban area to be quite a compact area that is roughly 10 million people. This is basically the Chongqing Metropolitan Area. Chongqing city itself is seen as the core 4 or 5 districts, all very small in area - and this adds up to about 6 million. Outside of the central city and metro, sits mostly rural and towns/small cities still within Chongqing City Government control but certainly not the contiguous urban concubation we see in Tokyo-Yokohama, Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe, or Shanghai. In reality, those rural areas could have stayed with Sichuan or gone to other provinces but it is this which gives CQ city room to grow and expand.

So it depends upon how you define things, Chongqing is the world's biggest city in population but it is based on single government control and not (YET) urbanized conglomeration. I think we all can agree that Tokyo-Yokohama (Kanto region) is the world's biggest urban area and metro but Chongqing Municipality is bigger, the world's biggest single government area.

Give it time and CQ will legitimately take over all titles in the world's biggest city/metro.
Indeed, Chongqing municipality is enormous. At 82000 square kilometres, it is the largest of China's 4 province level municipalities, approximately the same size as the island of Ireland, and is about 13 times bigger than the Shanghai municipality (the smallest of China's 4 province level municipalities). So to call it a 'city' of 35 million inhabitants is more than a little misleading.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 7:59 AM
Big City Enthusiast

CQ municipality area includes a lot of protected areas, though, that the other municipalities dont. This is why I think they should have just made Chongqing into a Province and City, to remove the confusion of municipality/city. But I also understand the municipality designation, direct control with no provincial barriers (so CQ can essentially do anything it wants).

In spite of the huge area compared to the other muni's, it should be noted that most of the people live in the core as there is massive density in the 4 inner districts (Yuzhong, Jianbei, Nan An, Shapingba) and nearby. The rest live in rural farms in the valleys - but this is rapidly changing as people are migrating into the urban districts. To see Yuzhong (especially Jeifangbei), Jianbei, and Nan An - I think anybody would agree it is on par with most world cities development, density, and urban offerings.

Chongqing is really a rapidly growing big city in control of a whole lot of land, more than any other city in China. ....

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Glad to see that this tower is getting built in an already dense urban fabric. I cant stand a lot of these new tower designs in China that have tons of green space around them and are set far away from the street. They may look good in a skyline shot but walking around in these areas it doesnt feel like a city at all. Im happy to see a few Chinese cities are getting it right.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 3:05 AM

12/12

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:33 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Glad to see that this tower is getting built in an already dense urban fabric. I cant stand a lot of these new tower designs in China that have tons of green space around them and are set far away from the street. They may look good in a skyline shot but walking around in these areas it doesnt feel like a city at all. Im happy to see a few Chinese cities are getting it right.
I agree, I love that area of CQ, Jiafangbei. So dense.

However, I think to simply look at other [planned] CBDs in China (Guangzhou, Shanghai, and even the one in CQ itself) you see that pattern being purported...I don't particularly think it's a negative thing. On street level, it's fine.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:20 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post

But Tokyo's 35 million are in the Municipality, they are all connected, and it's all urban, no real suburbs or anything like that.

Anyway, back to this tower, it looks really cool!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:16 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

CHONGQING | Chongqing World Financial Centre | 339 M / 1112 FT | 72 FLOORS
(per Skyscraper Center)

As of May 1st, 2014...

解放碑步行街 by Kridtaa, on Flickr

IMG_2473 by Kridtaa, on Flickr

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 9:41 AM
Find yourself and be that

Cladding completed

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 11:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Complete

Quote:
Status Completed
Country China
City Chongqing
Street Address & Map 188 Minzu Road
Building Functions serviced apartments / hotel / office / retail
Structural Material composite
Energy Label LEED CS 2009 registered
Proposed 2007
Construction Start 2010
Completion 2015
Source: CTBUH

View from the New Office: Consulate General of Italy in Chongqing, at World Financial Centre (WFC), Jiefangbei, Yuzhong district. Welcome and visit us! by consolatochongqing, on Flickr

View from the New Office: Consulate General of Italy in Chongqing, at World Financial Centre (WFC), Jiefangbei, Yuzhong district. Welcome and visit us! by consolatochongqing, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive