HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 9:47 PM

Golden Ears Connector

I have tried to find updated info on the status of the Golden Ears Connector road but all the info online is dated.

Anyone have current info on the status/opening date?

Thanks

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 4:27 AM

I am interested to find some more recent info as well. I emailed them and asked them last summer, and here was what I posted on July 23, 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
OK. I finally got a response today.

The eastern section will remain closed in order to facilitate the remaining construction on the western section. Crews are currently waiting for the preload in the western section to settle. Once that preload is ready to be removed later this year, construction will resume and we will have a better sense of schedule.
Two years ago when they started the project, it was scheduled to open in late 2016. I guess we will have to wait until late 2016 to finds out if that is correct.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:35 PM

Winter 2016/2017

I drove to that area on Sunday to visit the new Surrey Bend Park and the sign says winter 2016/2017 so who knows. I guess they are still compressing the road with sand in some areas.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:10 PM

Issue is preload close to the SFPR that needs to settle.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:14 PM

There is going to be 1 big issue with this road, and it is happening now. Trucks waiting to get into the CN Intermodal yard are backing up onto 104th ave. I have seen this a few times during the evening rush. This past thursday was the worst as traffic could not turn off of Hwy 17 to 104th to access the intermodal yard, 104th Ave East and the housing off of Barnston Drive because there were no open lanes.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanuck View Post
There is going to be 1 big issue with this road, and it is happening now. Trucks waiting to get into the CN Intermodal yard are backing up onto 104th ave. I have seen this a few times during the evening rush. This past thursday was the worst as traffic could not turn off of Hwy 17 to 104th to access the intermodal yard, 104th Ave East and the housing off of Barnston Drive because there were no open lanes.
Access to the intermodal yard has always been a problem. CN should have a holding area large enough to handle all the trucks waiting to get in so it doesn't interfere with the normal flow of traffic. I can see some adjustments and changes to the configuration of this stretch of road once it is open and the traffic patterns are examined. Stayed tuned. Supposed to open by the end of 2016.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 10:59 PM

they had a perfectly reasonable interchange design...

i have no doubt it would cost double or triple to do it properly now

http://www.sunburyneighbourhood.ca/P...ards_may25.pdf

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 2:09 AM

Drove by this area today and nothing has changed, maybe because of the weather. They have planned to build a new intersection and move the railway crossing east from its current 104th ave location to 177a street. I expect the completion will be moved to spring/summer 2017. Check out the link below..

http://www.ticorp.ca/wp-content/uplo...-Connector.pdf

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 4:08 AM

I drove by Golden Ears Way and 96th Ave a few weeks ago, and the Big BC Government, construction advertising sign, said completion Winter 2016/2017. So I am guessing it SHOULD be finished by the end of March.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:59 PM

When the South Fraser Perimeter Road was being planned, it was sold to the community on the basis that this would be an interchange, but when built it was an at grade intersection with lights. In addition, access from 104 Ave EB to SFPR WB (and reverse) was prohibited until the community association lobbied for changes. Last Thursday afternoon at 2pm, Jan 19th, Hwy 17 EB was backed up from this intersection to the wetlands viaduct, with the left lane full of trucks waiting to turn in onto the GEC and into the intermodal yard.

This intersection is also backed up frequently EB in the pm rush hour. It reminds me of a situation a few years ago when the east-west connector was completed but some at signalized intersections remained. The E-W connector at Westminster Highway was one such location, with long queues EB in the pm peak, until this was replaced by an overpass.

If past history is any indication, the tail backs at SFPR (Highway 17) and 104th/Golden Ears Connector intersection should justify an interchange sooner rather than later. Does anyone have any idea if this is going to happen?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdking View Post
When the South Fraser Perimeter Road was being planned, it was sold to the community on the basis that this would be an interchange, but when built it was an at grade intersection with lights. In addition, access from 104 Ave EB to SFPR WB (and reverse) was prohibited until the community association lobbied for changes. Last Thursday afternoon at 2pm, Jan 19th, Hwy 17 EB was backed up from this intersection to the wetlands viaduct, with the left lane full of trucks waiting to turn in onto the GEC and into the intermodal yard.

This intersection is also backed up frequently EB in the pm rush hour. It reminds me of a situation a few years ago when the east-west connector was completed but some at signalized intersections remained. The E-W connector at Westminster Highway was one such location, with long queues EB in the pm peak, until this was replaced by an overpass.

If past history is any indication, the tail backs at SFPR (Highway 17) and 104th/Golden Ears Connector intersection should justify an interchange sooner rather than later. Does anyone have any idea if this is going to happen?
The problem rests with CN not having a large enough staging area for all the trucks needing to enter the intermodal yard. This huge line of trucks is not an everyday occurrence but it is happening more often. I am sure if this issue persists that design changes will be made to the SFPR so it remains free flowing and safe for all users. It depends who screams the loudest as to when any action will take place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:31 PM

I was at Daly road and 179th yesterday and construction is well underway. There is a sign that says construction will be from Feb 14th - June 1st. This new connector is going to change the traffic flow quite a bit in this area. Stay tuned!!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:06 PM

It's about time. The government advertising sign at 96th and Golden Ears Way still says completion Winter 2016/17 as of noon today. I guess they should change it before Spring then.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
It's about time. The government advertising sign at 96th and Golden Ears Way still says completion Winter 2016/17 as of noon today. I guess they should change it before Spring then.
Just drove through this area and it is getting close to completion. Should be open by June hopefully. This connector will get a lot of use.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:07 PM

Any plans on adding a truck climbing lane at 17 eastbound going up the giant hill to Highway 1? Traffic can barely make it up that hill.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Any plans on adding a truck climbing lane at 17 eastbound going up the giant hill to Highway 1? Traffic can barely make it up that hill.
Ministry says environmental approval won't allow for it -- pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:30 AM

Yea i'm sure its great for the environment having all those trucks idling at the bottom of the hill

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AForce View Post
Yea i'm sure its great for the environment having all those trucks idling at the bottom of the hill
Lol good one. Not too mention all the backups at 104th cuz they were too cheap for an interchange.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Lol good one. Not too mention all the backups at 104th cuz they were too cheap for an interchange.
They should have started the incline way back before the 104th intersection and made a flyover so traffic didn't have to stop. This would have lessened the grade up the hill. Of course it is all about $$$$... forget about the environment!!

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 8:29 AM

I think the connector should open any day now. I drove through there on Saturday night, the Hwy15 offramp light wasn't working, but the other light was. From Hwy 15 to 179th was all paved and lined. There was even a crew repainting intersection markings at 104th and SFPR, at 8:30pm.

I drove by the 96th ave end at noon today, and the intersections is all street swept, and the concrete barriers are replaced with plastic drum type barriers.

Last edited by dharper; May 7, 2017 at 7:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure