HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Tribeca West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Ha Ha!
Personally I am very skeptical about ANYTHING by Claridge. And, pray tell, who is this "leading architect"? Someone from the Claridge staff, perchance?
Claridge seems to be using DCYSA (http://www.dcysa.ca/) for a lot of their recent projects.... they are a very good firm IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 5:45 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
A portrait gallery with 'a certain panache'
Maria Cook
Ottawa Citizen
Friday, February 29, 2008

The architects for a proposed portrait gallery in Ottawa aim to create an "iconic and highly visible" gallery that at this early stage looks like a piece of sculpture or origami.

The gallery would be located at the base of two slender 27-storey condo towers that have "a certain panache," says Nathan Godlovitch, senior architect with Dan S. Hanganu Architects of Montreal.

"We're trying to do a project that's world-class," he says.
Claridge Homes, an Ottawa developer, has filed an application with the City of Ottawa for the project to be built in what is now a parking lot bounded by Lisgar, Nepean and Metcalfe streets in the heart of downtown.

The city is fast-tracking the application and rezoning in order for the proposal to meet the federal government's April 16 deadline for bids to host the Portrait Gallery of Canada.

While recognizing that the design is at a conceptual stage, two leaders of Canada's architecture community are critical.

"What can be said of the tie-dyed, two-dimensional folded planes beneath what is essentially a developer-driven concept?" says Ian Chodikoff, editor of Canadian Architect magazine and an Ottawa native.

"Appearing to mimic the facile geometries of (American architect) Daniel Libeskind, this ill-conceived and under-scaled massing for our new portrait gallery adds little more public life to the corner of Metcalfe and Nepean than a government-commissioned public sculpture by a third-rate artist living in an under-represented region of the country."

A portrait gallery is too important a national cultural institution to be housed in an "anonymous condominium tower," he adds.

Marco Frascari, director of the Carleton University architecture school, says problems include building height, "cacaphonous rhythms" of the windows and greenery on terraces that suggest a "pseudo-sustainability."

In addition, the imagery misleads the real dimensions of the building.

"Nothing there captures the genius of the place nor does it say 'gallery,'" he adds. "The bottom piece is just a filler."

Mr. Godlovitch says a successful example of a commercial development combined with a public gallery is the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

"It's not a new idea to combine these functions, but it's a new idea in Canada."

He says the architects are working to make the gallery something special and to differentiate it from the commercial building. They hope to make the building fit well in its context.

Preliminary plans would see the two towers fronting onto Nepean Street opposite a multi-storey parking garage, kitty-corner to the 27-storey Place Bell Canada building. The two-storey gallery would front onto Metcalfe Street and wrap around onto Lisgar Street.

Although it is one building, the gallery and the towers are to have their own lobbies and parking entrances and function independently.

The 55,000-square-foot gallery is designed with two six-metre (20-foot) storeys and would be entered through a triangular public plaza.

The high-rise towers are designed to float on top of the gallery and form a portal that hangs over the plaza, creating a protected space about 23 metres (75 feet) high. The towers feature a large roof garden at the fourth storey and their mass is divided so they are "not monolithic," says Mr. Godlovitch.

The intended materials are "lots of glass," steel and masonry as well as green roofs.

The building is intended to provide a transition between the low-rise neighbourhood to the south and the high-rise commercial district to the north.

"We tried to develop a project that picks up the height of the north and then steps down to relate more to the south," he says.

Dan Hanganu is a highly respected architect known for tough modern buildings that suit the denser fabric of Montreal, but have not yet proved popular in Ottawa.

He is the architect of 700 Sussex Dr., the controversial condominium building at the intersection of Rideau Street and Sussex Drive that replaced the Daly Building, as well as future housing at LeBreton Flats.

The current project is unusually high for Ottawa and will require a zoning change. Most of the area has a maximum permitted height of around 12 stories.

The preliminary scheme looks as though it borrows ideas from 700 Sussex and Mr. Hanganu's submission for the human-rights museum in Winnipeg, which was among the finalists for that project. Mr. Godlovitch denies any connection.

Claridge will be revealing more details of the project at a public meeting at City Hall next Wednesday night.

The final version of the plan is to be put before city council's planning committee April 8, and before city council the next day.

© Ottawa Citizen

CREDIT: Artist's conception of a proposed high-rise at the corner of Metcalfe and Nepean streets, with a possible site for the National Portrait Gallery at the bottom. Handout from Claridge.

CREDIT: Site plan for Ottawa's bid for the new national portrait gallery. Courtesy of Claridge Homes.Its architects refer to a 'world-class project,' but critics dismiss it as ill-conceived and under-scaled. Portrait hangings are a long way off. Maria Cook reports.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I have a real problem with the federal government being called "Ottawa" when the City is NOT the federal government and most of the politicians making these decisions are not even from here.

In fact, lately, it seems all the feds do is crap on the City of Ottawa. Even the minister representing Ottawa (Baird) seems to enjoy screwing us over.
You know I have never stopped to think about how it would feel to fail to make that differentiation. "Ottawa" and "The Federal Government of Canada" are synonyms in the local vernacular and really no different than using "Washington" in place of "The Federal Government of the United States", or "Victoria" for the "Provincial Government of BC".

But at the same time you are also not wrong. I really do assume that Ottawa is a company town for the Federal Government and that it is a foregone conclusion that anything of national significance will be located there, and I really don't have a problem with that either. It is interesting to hear that because people like me inherently assume that the game is rigged and the Federal Government will select the City of Ottawa (see, learning) for the prize, that actually weakens the likelihood that the Ottawa bids will be considered fairly.

It is always interesting how a bit of local insight can change your own preconceptions. Thank you and I meant no offense.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:15 AM

SFU if this thing is rigged in anyone's favour it is the city of Calgary...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
SFU if this thing is rigged in anyone's favour it is the city of Calgary...
Although, the government might be reluctant to play into everyone's expectation that the game is rigged in Calgary's favour.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:35 PM

I think it's too small potatoes to be really scandalous porkbarrelling, and every PM does something for his riding, it's tradtion almost... I'd love to see this in Ottawa though, don't get me wrong. I thought it would be a great way to rehabilitate some of the old mill buildings around Chaudiere falls. Especially those stone ones on the Quebec side that are being held up by exterior I-beams. But I'll take a Claridge mess on Metcalfe if it means we get another nice tourist attraction and the collection stays in Ottawa...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:16 AM

the portrait gallery belongs here in Ottawa....i like the height of the Claridge proposal....not sure about the white facade.....considering that the average Claridge building looks 30% worse then the rendering....I guess it would look half decent....i'm just glad that a developer stepped up to make this a reality...we need to fight as a city to protect our right to host national museums.....we are often too conservative in Ottawa; almost too educated at times...there is a dramatic change occuring in the architecture of new buildings in ottawa....look at the byward market! I love the new look of Ottawa....it may not be as modern as Vancouver, Toronto, or Calgary...but its a step in the right direction. I'm staying at the Westin as I write this. I'm looking at 90 George from my window...and its growing on me. I love the tailored pinnacle....very New York....I love the UOttawa building...with its curve...I love 160 Laurier...apartment complex....and even the Claridge Plaza building with its aqua glass facade is adding to the view (especially the height)...things are looking up for us ottawa....from an architectural perspective and the livelyhood of the market with all the condos going up...love that people want to live downtown...can't wait to walk the streets 10 years from now!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:23 PM
Still optimistic

That was touching and inspiring like no post has everbeen (no joke).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 7:34 PM

Canada's portrait gallery proposal

to:forum2@skyscraperpage.com & others (city hall: Diane Hughes, Mayor Larry O’Brien)

This may not be appreciated for being too much truth and I won't be surprised if it's deleted by the moderator. So be it if that's the case.
--------------------------
Regarding the proposed new 27 story condo with space for the would-be Canadian federal Portrait Gallery, in Ottawa on the block bounded by Lisgar, Metcalfe, and Nepean streets.

I grew up in the block that is about to be trashed for this standard junk building. The block was a beautiful and relatively quiet place with huge trees
in the 1931-44 era in which I knew it. Some of the old buildings are quiet by construction quality, but few if any of the new buildings that have been built have been built with any consideration of real quiet, peaceful, housing - at any price. Just good looking. Luxury has become a meaningless word of no reliability. No real progression to better.

And now another Godless noisy condo, trash tenement will be built to Canada's garbage building code.(Just Google 'noisy condo' to see the thousands of complaints - up to 1.8 million pages at one point last year - now cut by Google for whatever reason.)

More hell on earth junk. A waste of money.

And a 'Portrait Gallery' as an excuse to get the building height restriction changed on a location after 40 years of holding tight for a maximum of 12
stories.

While I agree that the height restriction has been
bizarrely backwards for the purpose of keeping a view open to the parliament buildings, what a Godless crock this whole affair has become.

Start building decent housing and end the fraud of needing 'Peace Officers' to beat people into quiet submission.

Enough crap 'affordable housing' has been built. It's time to build quality, quiet, private units and not
this horrid waste. Every year millions of litres of fuel are wasted as 20% of renters move - looking for a decent quiet place to live no doubt, but this cheap trash society refuses to build better, with stupid reasoning.

And the owners of old noisy places have been moving to convert to condos to get rid of the hard to manage noisy junk and put it on the backs of individuals who have no idea how they are being ripped off - until it's too late. Caveat Emptor.

And you wonder why so many are using drugs - with alcohol one of the worst? Idiots!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 9:32 PM
Still optimistic

WELCOME TO SSP!

This comment may be deleted for having too much truth:

NIMBY COMMENT (Nimbyius commentĩ): ·Nnĩ-mb-ĩi · Cā'u(mm) 'nt'· : A comment without constructive comments, remarks.

Be (Aylmer)Optimistic.

Last edited by Aylmer; Mar 16, 2008 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:29 PM

As for 'standard junk building,' well, it's Claridge. The thing is, though, that the place is a parking lot right now. No old houses, no trees, just empty concrete. Crappy architecture or not, the project will get people living on that block again.

That being said, I'd have to agree that the proposed building is crazy big for Metcalfe and Lisgar, especially when you consider that it's highly unlikely ever to include a Portrait Gallery. If they want to build something on that scale, let them put it up by the Glue Pot. A Hudson Park-type project, however, would be perfect for that corner.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
Still optimistic

I agree that the design is (If you are no old enough, this word will be invisible)
but I think that the height is not bad.

A art-Deco style building would really fit nicely...

Why must you torment us Claridge?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 10:38 AM

Does Claridge own the Glue Pot parking lot?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 3:45 PM

Dunno who owns that lot. Just wishful thinking. Maybe I've played too much SimCity, but I just want to pick up that whole proposal, add a few more stories, and drop it right next to the Glue Pot. Claridge could put the biggest, ugliest building it wanted there, and it would still improve the area.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 4:34 PM
Mooderator

I don't think any developer owns that lot next to the Glue Pot... not yet, anyway.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:01 PM

Probably Tony Sarashebi.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 6:07 PM
Busy Beaver

Well, Claridge did put up the Pinnacle not too far from there and it's ugly enough:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:21 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Then again, Hanganu is no shabby name as far as architects go. He said in an interview that he was hurt by people's reaction and that the sketches were conceptual and far from the finished product. I've had dreams of projects for that same parking lot for years now but as far as height it's not an inappropriate location for tall buildings (even Diane Holmes says so!)

If we win the Gallery, I'm willing to bet that there will be considerably more work on the design. After all, it will help Claridge sell at higher prices if the project can pack the double punch of being atop a national cultural institution (how's that for mixed use), plus, be a striking design landmark. Sure, Claridge has popped out some banal buildings - Pinnacle being one of them. Those can be understood by their target clientele too - Pinnacle is not a luxury building, it's a middle-of-the-road condo. This would be their next 700 Sussex.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 11:42 PM

Cool more Gallery rap

Well I'm pleased I seem to have stirred some reflection and no real outrage at my views of lack of quality in regard to soundproofing.

Having spent the first 13 years of life walking, peddling my peddle car, and generally enjoying the then beauty of the block I don't really have any objection to a couple of 27 story buildings on the block. It certainly can't outdo the Bell building for bulk and presence and the reality that it has sat so-called empty as a parking lot for most of 40 years it is well past time for action.

But remember that all those cars that park there will continue to need a parking garage right there, along with all the new tenants. It will take a big hole in the ground to fulfill that need, though I don't see that as a problem.

But I doubt Mr. Hanganu has ever lived in one of the buildings built to our deficient building code and experienced the high degree of noise in any of the modern buildings - especially where steel studs are used - a horrid noise transferring microphone quality. I've lived in 59 places by the time I was 67 (now 76) at which point I left the city for the country and better quiet and privacy. My last address in Ottawa in 1998 was 257 Lisgar and a bad experience. My first address ever was 179 Lisgar at the South East corner of that building lot. In my 20's I lived a short time at 225 Lisgar, the Algonquin Apartment Hotel - one of the quietest of all the 59 places I've lived.

Unfortunately there seems to be a world wide conspiracy to build soundproof deficient buildings. This society ain't got no couth, to put it in street terms.

But I'm not likely to be around to ever experience whatever happens on that block now. I'd like to think it will be one of the first to improve the quality of quiet, peaceful, and private condo buildings. I sure wouldn't put a penny in any of what have been built by anyone in the world without first having the unit tested for those qualities. And I doubt any builder/seller would allow it. They know they are lousy or they're stupid beyond belief.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
Still optimistic

Welcome to Ottawa mate!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa