HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 9:17 PM

the work to the second narrows is only a repaint though.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yeah! This caught my eye too. $2M in repairs for two ~10-year old bridges? The original bridges were demolished and rebuilt to permit the M-Line to pass through the Grandview Cut.
It's the Liberals blaming the NDP for shoddy work.

Or maybe the Liberals are taking credit for the two overpasses 10 years later.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 10:09 PM

I'm waiting for the announcement regarding federal stimulus funding for the long-awaited Clarke-Murray overpass in Port Moody.

But that project is cursed.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 12:12 AM
Registered

^^^ that area is a serious bottleneck.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah! This caught my eye too. $2M in repairs for two ~10-year old bridges?
The original bridges were demolished and rebuilt to permit the M-Line to pass through the Grandview Cut.

What is the deal with this?? Poor work? Or does Routine 10-year maintainence cost $1M / bridge? In comparison, the work proposed for the second-narrows bridge comes in a $0.9M. Obviously not apples and oranges (but the orange is considerably bigger than the two apples!).
I've heard that there has been some soil creep issues along the Grandview cut, where the bridges are specifically. It's possible that's where the repair money is going towards.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 1:57 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I know the Nanaimo bridge is new but is the lakewood one? Not all the bridges were replaced for the millennium line some of them are still the old ones as far as I know. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 2:07 AM

Why is it that they did not include the 91A 72nd street conversion into a proper t-interchange on this list?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:02 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I know the Nanaimo bridge is new but is the lakewood one? Not all the bridges were replaced for the millennium line some of them are still the old ones as far as I know. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
The Nanaimo and Lakewood bridges were replaced for the Millenium Line. Victoria, Broadway, Commercial and Clark bridges were not. I'm not sure about Woodland.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:11 AM
Registered Luser

Probably because the City of Delta and the Province can't get their shit together. The Province wanted to build a partial interchange (no access from westbound 72nd to southbound 91) and the City of Delta balked at the idea as they want an interchange with full movement.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
Probably because the City of Delta and the Province can't get their shit together. The Province wanted to build a partial interchange (no access from westbound 72nd to southbound 91) and the City of Delta balked at the idea as they want an interchange with full movement.

Now we're stuck with an almost-freeway Highway 91.

(I hope I'm wrong!)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Now we're stuck with an almost-freeway Highway 91.
Strangely enough, another interchange was just announced along Hwy 91, albeit hell if I know where it will be located and I drive it all the time.

Edited to add: Just found it on Google maps. It's at the S-curve on the Richmond side where the Westminster Hwy meets up with Hwy 91. And 72nd still sits in limbo.

Quote:
A new $26.9-million interchange will be built at Nelson Road and Highway 91, to provide direct access from Highway 91 to the Fraser Port Industrial Area by extending Nelson Road north from the Westminster Highway. The new interchange will provide an alternate route for traffic using Westminster Highway as an east-west connection from Richmond, Highway 99, and Knight Street.
Source: BC MoT

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...059-000750.htm

Heck, they've (BC and the feds) announced 4 separate interchanges (Westside, MaCallum, McTavish and this one) and $hundreds$ of millions in new highway twinning across BC since April 1 akin to drunken sailors. I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.news.gov.bc.ca/?organisat...00921e80000575

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:54 AM
Registered Luser

I think part of the reason why the 72nd Ave interchange hasn't gone ahead, besides the disagreement with the City, is that part of the funding for the project was to come from the federal government's Border Infrastructure Program. That was back in 2003, so I don't know if that funding has expired or is just sitting in limbo waiting for a resolution between the City and the Province.

You're right, though. There are a hell of a lot of projects on the go throughout the province. I think it's a mix of electioneering and a genuine effort to get the economy moving, or at least look like it's moving.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
You're right, though. There are a hell of a lot of projects on the go throughout the province. I think it's a mix of electioneering and a genuine effort to get the economy moving, or at least look like it's moving.
Or elections. But whatever I don't care what the reason is: the more the better.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:17 AM

I think that is what gateway is for, to distract the hard core hippies who are against any road improvements, and now we slowly build decent highways elsewhere in BC on interchange at a time

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Heck, they've (BC and the feds) announced 4 separate interchanges (Westside, MaCallum, McTavish and this one) and $hundreds$ of millions in new highway twinning across BC since April 1 akin to drunken sailors. I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.news.gov.bc.ca/?organisat...00921e80000575
Hooray for a project in Abbotsford!

I think its more of a federal boost than a BC boost, although it looks great preceding the election. I know that cities had "applied" for pieces of the Conservative infrastructure stimulus (Abbotsford applied for the McCallum interchange, Clearbrook interchange and airport runway expansion) and now the money is finally being allocated.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:08 PM

Nelson Road interchange will be great to get the 410 back onto Hwy 91 right after it does the Westminster Hwy industrial park loop.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Every one has been replaced, mostly in the '90s iirc. Nanaimo and the two smaller ones (Lakeview, Woodland) were the last to go.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for the announcement regarding federal stimulus funding for the long-awaited Clarke-Murray overpass in Port Moody.

But that project is cursed.
I thought it had already been funded by TransLink? http://www.cityofportmoody.com/City+...0071212MR1.htm

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 5:54 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Richmond has put out a design/build for extending Lansdowne all the way to Hollybridge. Substantial completion must be by end of Sept/09, it will then be left until the end of the para games and then receive it's final pavement in Mar/10.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:33 PM

Pattullo Bridge closed nights and weekends for repaving

The Pattullo Bridge across the Fraser River will be shut down to vehiclar traffic nightly and on weekends while crews repave the crossing that connects Surrey and New Westminster.

The closures, which started Sunday, will shut the bridge southeast of Vancouver from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. on Monday to Thursday, and from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday, until the work is finished.

No date has been set for the completion of the work, which involves removing old asphalt that contains asbestos from the bridge deck, but it is expected to take two or three weeks, according to TransLink.

“It’s vital to keep the Pattullo Bridge in as good condition as possible while we plan, design and build the new crossing over the next several years,” said Tom Prendergast, CEO of TransLink, which is responsible for maintaining the bridge.

“We did get an inadvertent ‘head start’ during the emergency closure in January, and now it’s time to finish the job,” said Prendergast, referring to a fire under the bridge in January that destroyed a section of timber support structure. Approximately 20 per cent of the paving work was done while the new span was put in place, he said.

A replacement for the 72-year-old bridge is scheduled to be completed by 2019. 10 years???!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...-repaving.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure