HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

BBVA Compass Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 8:29 AM

this project is damn fiiiine

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:12 PM

It will be in a great location, especially if the light rail ever gets built along Post Oak.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyadkin View Post
From what I can gather through the bureaucratic jargon, Terra surveying Company has asked for a one foot building line along Post Oak while the ordinance requires a 25 foot building line. It references the area as "Perennial on Post Oak Subdivision".
That's not bureaucratic jargon. The letter is simply stating what part of the ordinance (which is law) the project violates. They have to provide notification to the public who can come to the Commission in opposition or support of what they want to do...which is build their structure at the 1' building line as opposed to the 25' building line required. The goal along Post Oak is for a better pedestian-friendly environment and that can be seen from the text on the last page of the variance request.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:17 AM

I'm wondering if there is a problem with the construction or something. The article back in April said that the official groundbreaking was going to be in May, and here it is in June and nothing has happened there at all.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyadkin View Post
I'm wondering if there is a problem with the construction or something. The article back in April said that the official groundbreaking was going to be in May, and here it is in June and nothing has happened there at all.
Probably for financial reasons.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:00 PM

Looks like they were only a few weeks behind. The official groundbreaking ceremony was yesterday. Although, from what I saw, it looked like the built a small sandbox, filled it with earth, and dug into that, leaving the actual ground on the site unbroken.

On the wall of the site along Post Oak a new banner has popped up - sorry I couldn't get a clear shot without the sign and light pole. It was all I could do to get one without cars in the way:

Here are the three pictures close up:

And a REALLY short Chron blog post about the site:
http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...hotel-and-spa/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:45 PM
Ex Houstonian

So should we put this in the under construction thread?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:39 PM

From what I understand about something qualifying as "under construction" here, it needs to be actual construction. Site prep doesn't count.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

Well, at least something is being done, its about time some new high rise started construction here.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 8:39 PM

It seems they are finally starting to do some actual work on this project! Took these pictures about an hour ago:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:54 AM
BANNED

The crane is up, this is officially under construction!

I'll swing by and get some pics tomorrow if I can get out the door with enough time...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:48 AM
Website Manager

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 2:27 AM
BANNED

Pictures from 1.2.2012, zooming by at 40 mph..

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:24 AM
FYHA

CultureMap takes a look at the construction of the tower, as well as the history and future of the site, and teases additional tower(s) to come...

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...compass-plaza/
Quote:
Sky high in the Galleria: An exclusive sneak peek at BBVA Compass Plaza (and its two restaurant spaces)

By Whitney Radley
04.19.12 | 02:06 pm

Representatives of the Redstone Companies have had the 6.5-acre plot of land at 2200 Post Oak Boulevard in their sights since the early '90s.

Now, more than 20 years later, that plan is becoming a reality at the rapid rate of one floor every 10 days.

In a joint venture with Stream Realty, the construction of the BBVA Compass Plaza began in June of 2011. The building will replace the bank's seven-story former headquarters (demolished in 2009) with a LEED Gold Certified office building, boasting 22 floors and more than 300,000 square feet of rentable space in a prime location — just one block north of Westheimer, and one block west of the 610 loop.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 5:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

Uh, I don't get it. The above pictures are from the bbva tower site.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Uh, I don't get it. The above pictures are from the bbva tower site.
The site's name is (or at the very least was) Perennial Post Oak. The tower going up, one of three planned for the site, is BBVA Compass Plaza.

Also, here's some updated pictures of the site I took about 20 minutes ago:

(the crane in the background of this is for a 22-story apartment building going up a few blocks away. I don't believe there's a SSP thread for it...)

Last edited by Golyadkin; Apr 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
FYHA

No word still on the restaurants, but it sounds like the residential tower has been nixed in favor of an additional office tower. Still sticking with the three building plan though...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/05/post-oak-update-more-offices-and-eateries

Quote:
Post Oak update: More offices and eateries

The new tower under construction on Post Oak Boulevard has reached 17 stories and developers say it will top out this summer.

When the 22-story building is completed next year, BBVA Compass will move about 800 of its employees into 175,000 square feet — just over half the building. The property will be named after the bank.

The first floor will house two restaurants. Local restaurateurs will operate new concepts there, but they won’t be announced until the end of this year, said Preston Young of Stream Realty, which is developing the property with the Redstone Cos.

When the project broke ground last year, the developers said the 6.5-acre site was also being designed to house a luxury hotel and possibly a residential tower. Those plans have been altered and now call for another office building along with the hotel.

Posted by Nancy Sarnoff on May 14, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink | Leave a comment

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
FYHA

There's so much going on across the city, you forget about some of these developments...

At any rate, the tower topped out in September, and the crane has since been removed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b....html?page=all

Most of the glass has been installed, but work is still continuing.

And the building's official website is now up: http://www.bbvacompassplaza.com

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 7:18 AM

Pictures are a few weeks old (took them Feb 28/March 1), but apart from the big "BBVA Compass" sign being finished, nothing has visibly changed since I took them (the last one is a little slanted because I had to turn the camera a bit to make sure the sun wasn't in the shot - didn't want just a silhouette of the thing):

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 1:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

This tower I always thought is just ok looking but at least it adds some much needed density to the galleria area. How are those apartments coming along behind it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive