HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 1:09 AM
---

Updated Dynasty Park website.

Last edited by Electrical Porpoise; Feb 14, 2009 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 4:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

WOW, I like those renderings a lot better! When are they expecting to start construction? I have yet to see anything change.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 2:32 PM

Quote:
WOW, I like those renderings a lot better! When are they expecting to start construction? I have yet to see anything change.
Yeah, it looks good to me, but I haven't seen or heard anything about when they're planning to start pre-sales. The last I heard, they're hoping to have the building completed in 2011, but with the current economy, I wonder if they can get financing and find enough buyers ?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 4:10 AM

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...owth-on-census

Tuscaloosa County grew 1.3% in 2008 to a population of 179,448. Tuscaloosa County's percentage growth was 11th highest in the state out of 67 counties.

The Tuscaloosa MSA (which also includes Hale and Greene counties) grew 1.1% to a population of 206,765. The MSA's percentage growth was 4th in the state out of 11 MSAs.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...at-Vance-plant

Mercedes announced a $300m expansion at the Vance plant today. How unexpected and exciting!

Last edited by ttownfeen; Mar 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Both of those stories just go to show the confidence that companies continue to have in the Alabama market.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:58 PM

Thanks for posting the links.
The hundreds of millions in expansions at Mercedes and Hunt Refining are both especially welcome now, considering the national economic climate.
Also, Shelby secured the Federal $$$ to enable the city to move forward with building the $67-million downtown courthouse.

I heard a rumor that the university has a multi-year goal of increasing enrollment to 35,000 around 2015, which they'll announce after meeting their current target this fall. Anyone more familiar with the details ?
There apparently are still plans for a total of 4 buildings in the Shelby complex: http://shelby.senate.gov/public/inde...id=&County_id=

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything about the 35,000.

Great news about the 4 buildings, I'm assuming they'll have to tear down those halls across Shelby Lane to make room for them.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Great news about the 4 buildings, I'm assuming they'll have to tear down those halls across Shelby Lane to make room for them.
I'm curious about the exact plans, myself.
I did hear that the main engineering office is supposed to move from H. M. Comer Hall (which is across the street from Shelby Hall) to Houser Hall, so that leads me to wonder if they're planning to remodel Comer Hall or replace it altogether.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I dunno. Most of the engineering buildings are in pretty bad shape, and there are so many other buildings that are slated to be renovated first... Most of the building that were built between the 40s and 70s are the ones that are in the worst shape, which includes the engineering buildings... I'm thinking that they'll be torn down. It's in the master plan.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 8:21 PM

The plan calls for creating a new science and engineering quad on the northeast of the campus. Here is a photo I extracted from the campus master plan.

Going by the diagram, it appears that the Ferg parking lot is a goner. Campus Drive West will be shifted north so it goes through what is now the middle of the parking lot, south of Bevill and north of Shelby where it will connect with Hackberry. 7th Avenue south of Campus Drive will be turned into a greenway (it's halfway there already!).

Shelby Hall and the building attached to it are already up.

Only MIB will be torn down, it appears. A new hall is to go where MIB stands now and the other two will be behind Houser and Hardaway, respectively.

Last edited by ttownfeen; Mar 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 8:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

MIB isn't the only one that's gonna be torn down. All the red you see, those are new buildings. The building on the northside of Shelby would be torn down/replaced. It looks like Rodgers will stay put, then another building would replace the current one/parking lot that is across Shelby Lane from Rodgers Library. The big Engineering parking lot is gone, I think it's supposed to be replaced by a dorm.

There's almost too much to even try to make sense of... I was on the bus this this morning, and it looked a lot like they were making the beginnings of those sidewalks that are illustrated next to the Shelby addition.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:48 AM

A dorm? Huh.

I wish they would introduce some nomenclature for these new buildings, especially now that there is funding to ensure that they will be built. New Science and Engineering Quad doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

They're doing it slowly. Keep in mind, this is a master plan between a few years a go and long ways into the future.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

In other Ttown news:

* The Capstone College of Nursing building has begun construction (it's located at the corner of University and McFarland)

* The office building along Jack Warner is STILL under construction.

* The city council approved some kinda landscaping ordinance in town to help take care of surface water, drainage, and to aid in reducing the heat in downtown.

* That's all I can really think of right now... hehe

* OH! They've started work on Bryant Denny. I'm sad to see the giant scoreboard go

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 8:33 AM

Every year those roads on the north side of campus get more confusing. I tried to drive by my old dorm last year for the A-day game and got myself completely turned around. It's great to see it growing.

The 35,000 # is smaller than the one that floated when they hired Witt. The rumor then was 40,000. Guess he tempered his expectations?... or maybe just adjusted for the economic situation and the PACT issue? Either way, I could see them building to that.

I wouldn't be sad to see a bunch of those old buildings on the north side of campus go. Few had any real beauty and many were just old and inefficient. I agree on the naming issue. Every minor space on the rest of campus has names or a history. It may take a while for that area to achieve a history, but they can at least give it names. I'm assuming there are a handful of donors still out there that might have a big enough ego to burn their name onto a piece of UA property.

What is that red dot in the middle of the greenspace on the upper left of the map? Is that some kind of reflection of the roundhouse? It would seem to be roughly in-line with Denny Chimes, the old library site, & the President's Mansion. If it's something like that then good on the planners to extend that kind of continuity to that end of campus.

...and I'm glad to see the old scoreboard go. It went up when I was a freshman & I'm glad to see it come down. Hope the new addition there looks as good as the north addition turned out. Thanks for the new renderings of the building next to it. That looks much better than the original.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:05 PM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue View Post

The 35,000 # is smaller than the one that floated when they hired Witt. The rumor then was 40,000. Guess he tempered his expectations?... or maybe just adjusted for the economic situation and the PACT issue? Either way, I could see them building to that.
They are actually a few years ahead fo schedule. I believe that 35k is relevant to a point on a time line, not necessarily the final total.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Bogue, that red dot is supposed to be some kinda pavilion or something in the middle of what is now the Paty/Ferg/Engineering parking lot. The plan to fill that space in with green space and put that building there.

I think the school could easily reach a population that is similar to that of Florida. Who knows though...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 3:48 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Haha, I just read this on the AL.com website...

http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2009/0...student_r.html

The whole Auburn Board of Trustees seems rather disorganized and confused... I'm glad the U of A trustees aren't this way.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 5:32 AM

I don't have any doubt they "could" reach that point w/ the Florida's, Michigan's, & Maryland's. I think they have an idea in mind of what is the "right" population goal. When Witt was hired everyone seemed to think 40K was that target. I agree that they're ahead of schedule, but wonder if they're just extending the timeline to that point given the current climate.

Thanks for the update on what they're doing w/ the small building. That end of campus changes so often and has made such a dramatic change in even just the last 5 years that it's difficult to keep up w/ small stuff like that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

You're welcome.

I'm glad that the university has this population goal. It opens up more opportunities to in state students, plus, it attracts out of state students that might stay in Alabama after they graduate. It all definitely works in our favor

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast