HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

988 West Broadway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:20 PM

The city also owns the scotiabank site across oak street for a potential new station

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
no developments on this one in 4 years but I just noticed the other day that the 711 in the existing 80s strip mall is empty now, maybe theres finally some progress on this development! I remember waiting to hear something when I lived in the area over 2 years ago. Has anyone heard anything recently?
They have a new-ish website:

http://www.broadwayandoak.com/

and the address is now 988 broadway

gotta get as many lucky numbers on the building as possible ....

I was at the old BCAA building earlier in the week waiting for a friend, and it was amusing to see how many people would pull up to the empty 7/11 and get out, be confused by the paper covering the doors and windows, wonder why the 7/11 was closed, look for the 7/11 signage, and STILL jiggle the front doors to try and get inside.
THEN they would read the note left on the door saying the store was closed at the end of July.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 1:34 AM
Reason and Freedom

City council finally enacted the by-law amending this site's zoning just last month. And the project is now looking to move ahead, according to Vancouvermarket.ca:

Quote:
984 West Broadway

This site at Broadway and Oak was approved for rezoning for 10-storey office tower way back in 2011, and is just now looking to move forward. The project, by BlueSky Properties, was rezoned under the Metro Core plan to allow a 5.22 FSR density.
http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2015/0...-developments/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 9:30 AM
retro_orange

http://www.straight.com/news/585526/...adway-corridor

Quote:
The strip mall on the southeast corner of Broadway and Oak Street is deserted.

There used to be a 7-Eleven, a Money Mart, a sushi restaurant, and other shops in this location on Vancouver’s West Side. What’s left of these businesses will soon be gone.

“We’ll be starting demo[lition] here pretty quick,” Wayne Vickers, development manager of Bosa Properties, told the Georgia Straight in a phone interview. “I’d say December, with excavation in January, February.”

BlueSky Properties, a Bosa family company, is constructing a 10-storey office and retail building on this spot, which the City of Vancouver has chosen to be the location of one of the stations for a proposed subway line along Broadway.

According to Vickers, his company and the city have agreed to designate an area in the new building to serve as a connection to an underground transit station. “We got the plan. We have the design for it,” Vickers said.
Pic and quote from article

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:43 PM

^ Happy to see this one move forward. As much as I love large marquee office towers downtown, I really like to see infill office like this project (and the one further east between Ash and Cambie) move into a major corridor like Broadway. In the grand scheme of things, this won't be a big deal in the commercial office market, but it's almost certainly going to be primarily medical office and annexes of VGH-area institutional uses and that further strengthens the area's locational advantage as the region's primary hub for healthcare and life sciences. Throw in SkyTrain connectivity in a decade or so time, and the attractiveness of this office building will be that much more significant and regionally accessible.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:52 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ Happy to see this one move forward. As much as I love large marquee office towers downtown, I really like to see infill office like this project (and the one further east between Ash and Cambie) move into a major corridor like Broadway. In the grand scheme of things, this won't be a big deal in the commercial office market, but it's almost certainly going to be primarily medical office and annexes of VGH-area institutional uses and that further strengthens the area's locational advantage as the region's primary hub for healthcare and life sciences. Throw in SkyTrain connectivity in a decade or so time, and the attractiveness of this office building will be that much more significant and regionally accessible.

Definitely, lets hope the even uglier mini mall next door gets redeveloped soon.

Artist's concept of a new subway station under Broadway at Oak, from a study on the proposed SkyTrain extension along Broadway.
Pic from http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...519/story.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:45 AM

Went past the site today and it looks like we have an erection!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 9:36 PM

Is it time to update the title to under construction?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 7:37 AM

Aug.18 '16, my pics

Last edited by mcminsen; Aug 20, 2016 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 8:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Does anyone have a rendering of the project to put on the front page? The link to the rendering doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the update, mcminsen.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:20 AM

This one works.
Info in the pdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
renderings look decent. noticed the sales/lease site is up: http://www.broadwayandoak.com/

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 11:41 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Great. Thanks, OD!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:25 PM

Oct.15 '16, my pics

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 10:29 AM

Dec.21 '16, my pics

Last edited by mcminsen; Dec 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 10:44 AM

Dec.22 '16, my pics

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 4:05 PM

I'm too lazy to search this thread, but have accommodations been made for a future underground skytrain station anywhere in this building?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:42 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm too lazy to search this thread, but have accommodations been made for a future underground skytrain station anywhere in this building?
there was speculation this building would have provisions for a subway head-house entrance, but I saw no evidence of this during the parking levels construction.

Last week, there was some more core drilling being done on Broadway opposite the former ScotiaBank on the SW corner of the intersection (west side of oak - across from this project).

This hints that someone wants to know more about whats underground in this area. A subway entrance at the redeveloped old ScotiaBank site? for a western entrance to the Oak/Broadway station?

There was speculation several months back that the Oak/Broadway station would have an eastern entrance at Laurel, making the subway easier to use for the VGH staff.

or both East and West entrances for Oak/Broadway station?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:47 PM

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "988 West Broadway", since that is the name BlueSky is using for the project

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
there was speculation this building would have provisions for a subway head-house entrance, but I saw no evidence of this during the parking levels construction.
Or from the new renders. For all intents and purposes, the developers seem to have scrapped the subway entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Last week, there was some more core drilling being done on Broadway opposite the former ScotiaBank on the SW corner of the intersection (west side of oak - across from this project).
That's the new ScotiaBank site! I sure hope the subway's on the NE corner, and the poor bastards don't have to move twice...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Or from the new renders. For all intents and purposes, the developers seem to have scrapped the subway entrance.

That's the new ScotiaBank site! I sure hope the subway's on the NE corner, and the poor bastards don't have to move twice...
New ScotiaBank moved into the former BCAA space on the main floor of 999 Broadway (N E Corner of Oak & Broadway) a month ago.

The former ScotiaBank building (S W Corner) has been gutted. Being just a single story building that is rumoured to be owned by either Translink or the City, makes it a near-perfect candidate to be bulldozed and replaced with a new building that includes a subway entrance as part of the new construction - even though the Broadway Extension of the Millennium Line isn't expected to be running until the mid-2020s or later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver