HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
It's being replaced by a Starbucks with an exterior entrance and patio.
Seriously??

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
Seriously??
Yep!

Story about the proposed High Point Ridge-area park: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...idge-1.4943021

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Yep!

Story about the proposed High Point Ridge-area park: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...idge-1.4943021
Dang, finally!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:48 PM

I was listening to the Minister on CBC this morning on the courthouse project. They still don't have an exact cost for stopping the project and still need to negotiate with the contractor. Seems a bit pre-mature to say it's stopped no matter what. If it costs 10 million extra at this point to stop the project we might as well continue on and build the thing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:51 PM

Well that would be a hope, the feeling I get is that Higgs is in a "Damn the costs! If I cancel it it stays cancelled!" mode. They got the austerity bullet point of "saving" X millions of dollars from not building it, even if the details say that not doing it will cost Y millions instead.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:31 PM

According to the Telegraph Journal this morning, apparently the Federal Gov may require the Province to pay back any money (provided by the Feds) on projects currently underway as it was not solely up to them to make the decisions to cancel these projects. Not sure how much, if any, federal funding was made available for the justice complex project (but it was mentioned when the project was announced that it would be completed under the federal-provincial confederation memorial program).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:01 PM

Someone should keep track of all the cancellation fees and cost to break contracts, see how much we are really saving, not to say that there will not be savings but they will be less than projected.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Well that would be a hope, the feeling I get is that Higgs is in a "Damn the costs! If I cancel it it stays cancelled!" mode. They got the austerity bullet point of "saving" X millions of dollars from not building it, even if the details say that not doing it will cost Y millions instead.
I can't really picture Higgs ever uttering a phrase like that or, similar to Ford in Ontario, willing to pay higher costs cancelling than for the projects themselves. I trust Higgs on a financial standpoint enough that i'm willing to trust the process of cutting $200M from infrastructure spending.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:02 PM

Just seems Higgs is getting trigger happy. I understand the projects he cancelled that are in design/development stages, I don't agree with all the decisions, but that's what he is put in office to do

But to cancel the Centennial Building just seems ludicrous. Likely majority of materials have already been purchased, and there's not a chase the contractors will just write that off as sunk costs... they'll come looking for their money.

I don't know the exact situation, but I hear it's quite a mess with half the building unusable, and an adjacent building is a temporary solution (that isn't up to regulations)

And mentioned above, there's going to be Y millions spent just to stop this project. So weren't not going to save "60 million".. which is really unfortunate.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
And mentioned above, there's going to be Y millions spent just to stop this project. So weren't not going to save "60 million".. which is really unfortunate.
And that's not accounting for all the money that the province will spend on leasing office space in Fredericton. The Centennial Building was supposed to consolidate a lot of office space that is currently leased all over the city. Seems like they're trading capital expenses for operating expenses.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:08 PM

According to the CBC article yesterday $13.5M has been spent to date, which does not include any costs associated with breaking contracts.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:35 PM

I have to wonder now if it was cancelled because it was a Major NB Government project in Fredericton (and I believe one of the only ones active in the Capital region).

He was cancelling projects in the North, in Moncton and in SJ. So maybe he killed the Justice building project so he would have a project killed in Freddy as well, to make it seem like he was hitting all areas of the province 'equally' and 'fairly'.

Of course, Museum NB was still in the design/bidding phase, and the highway projects hadn't started on their biggest cost items yet (bridges) so those can be cheaply cancelled; but the Justice building was well under full construction.

Hell part of the renos to the building was to remove the boiler room and system (at least I heard/read that somewhere), which I believe means that the remaining building can't even be properly heated now. Which means it's going to rot even faster in our environment.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
He was cancelling projects in the North, in Moncton and in SJ. So maybe he killed the Justice building project so he would have a project killed in Freddy as well, to make it seem like he was hitting all areas of the province 'equally' and 'fairly'.
I must admit that thought crossed my mind as well..........

There are always political considerations to any decisions like this. For example, in Moncton Higgs killed a replacement anglophone school for Hillcrest and Bessborough, but is still greenlighting a new K-8 francophone school to alleviate overcrowding at l'Odyssee and l'Sommet. Did he allow this to alleviate fear in the francophone community over his overwhelming anglophone government - who knows.........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:55 PM

Although there are a couple other Gov funded projects currently underway, work appears to have started on the Hospital expansion and I believe they are at least partially funding the new cyber security park currently under construction.

Also, there is the new K-8 school in Hanwell that will receive funding in 2019.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Hell part of the renos to the building was to remove the boiler room and system (at least I heard/read that somewhere), which I believe means that the remaining building can't even be properly heated now. Which means it's going to rot even faster in our environment.
Didn't they already build a new boiler room across the street, or was that for the legislature building?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Although there are a couple other Gov funded projects currently underway, work appears to have started on the Hospital expansion and I believe they are at least partially funding the new cyber security park currently under construction.
I don't think construction has started, just site prep.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post

Also, there is the new K-8 school in Hanwell that will receive funding in 2019.
Re the Cybersecurity Park....My recollection is that thee PNB is not building that. What they did was provide a repayable loan so that the proponents, Ignite Fredericton, could proceed. Thus not in danger given that they will recoup their $$$ and that several high profile companies will be locating there when completed. This will be a huge job creator.

On a related note....It will be interesting to see what the new government will do with the current NB Power plans for Mactaquac. They are sked to enter the construction phase of the refurbishment in 2020

Last edited by Freddypop; Dec 14, 2018 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Re the Cybersecurity Park....My recollection is that thee PNB is not building that. What they did was provide a repayable loan so that the proponents, Ignite Fredericton, could proceed. Thus not in danger given that they will recoup their $$$ and that several high profile companies will be locating there when completed. This will be a huge job creator.

On a related note....It will be interesting to see what the new government will do with the current NB Power plans for Mactaquac. They are sked to enter the construction phase of the refurbishment in 2020
I'd bet money that they find a consultant that is good with pushing it a few more years.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post

was by there the other day and work seems to be progressing well, the foundation is well underway.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Didn't they already build a new boiler room across the street, or was that for the legislature building?
I believe it heats the legislature, the art gallery, Chancery Place and possibly Centennial but I’m not sure if it is hooked up yet. That new boiler plant was designed for three boilers but currently only has two installed with an option to add the third later.

Re the leased buildings: I think the plan was to move the gov offices in Kings Place, Place 2000 and SNB HQ on Westmorland Street into Centennial which would open up tonnes of office space. I also think Place 2000 is a total demo/rebuild as the foundation was was not designed for the ancient sand/clay riverbed and the whole building has sunk almost 15cm, cracks in every wall and my friend that works in the building says you can roll a battery from one end of the hall to the other. Ever wondered why there’s a curb and crushed rock around the building? That was from foundation reinforcements. Remember the earthquake a few years ago? Place 2000 was supposed to be condemned and never was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces