HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:45 AM

they are usually 2 or 3 cents lower plus you can collect points to get free groceries, if you join their points program.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
The prices of gas around Langley was always 2-4 cents more a litre than in Surrey, until Costco started selling gas in Langley. Now it is the same. So I think there is a 'how much can we get away with' in the gas prices around the Lower Mainland.
The prices peeved me enough, that I bought a Chevy Volt. One year and I still have 1/3 the original tank of gas. The car may cost more, but it sure feels good not giving money to greedy gas stations every week.
How long does gas last sitting in a tank? Does it ever go "bad" or "spoil"?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Yup, gasoline breaks down - specifically, it eventually evaporates or oxidizes or gets contaminated by water and leaves you with crap gas that doesn't burn well. So make sure that tank of yours is as airtight as possible, or mix it with fresh gas from time to time.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Yes, it spoils. Lasts around 3-5 months depending on where it's kept. If you add a fuel stabilizer it'll last 6-8 months.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:47 AM

The gas tank is sealed and pressurized to prevent spoilage. Here is a blurb from the owners manual:
Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) tracks average fuel age. Old fuel can cause engine problems. If low engine usage causes average fuel age to exceed approximately one year, FMM will run the engine to use up the old fuel. The engine will run until enough fresh fuel is added to bring the average fuel age into an acceptable range. Allowing more old fuel to be used up by FMM and adding a larger amount of fresh fuel will maximize the length of time before another fuel maintenance mode is needed. During FMM the engine may turn on and off.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
The gas tank is sealed and pressurized to prevent spoilage. Here is a blurb from the owners manual:
Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) tracks average fuel age. Old fuel can cause engine problems. If low engine usage causes average fuel age to exceed approximately one year, FMM will run the engine to use up the old fuel. The engine will run until enough fresh fuel is added to bring the average fuel age into an acceptable range. Allowing more old fuel to be used up by FMM and adding a larger amount of fresh fuel will maximize the length of time before another fuel maintenance mode is needed. During FMM the engine may turn on and off.
Just to be clear for people that don't link up this post with dharper's previous one, he's talking about the Chevy Volt. If you plug in the Volt every night and don't travel more than about 85km per day, the gas engine will never come on. That's why it has to keep track of how old the fuel is and run the engine if the fuel gets too old.

So GM seems to think that fuel can last for a year in a sealed tank.

But the tank has to be well sealed. The Volt does a pressure test of the tank every so often to make sure it is, so this is obviously an important piece of the picture.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Has to be greed. The Costco in Prince George is $0.939. If they get their gas from WA state and it has to be trucked all the way up there, you would think their gas would not be that cheap. I do agree that all our add taxes are partly to blame.
I would be surprised if they get their gas from WA.

I don't remember but I though Prince George also had a Husky refinery. More likely the refineries in Edmonton or Regina, perhaps Burnaby.

Parkland Fuel operates the Burnaby refinery that is fed by the Kinder Morgan pipeline.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 5:07 PM

The prices are high simply because of the ridiculous amount of taxes piled on it. How do you think Christy & Co managed to run budget surpluses (hint: the supposedly "revenue neutral" carbon tax). Of course it will just continue to drive motorists towards electric cars and choice for those gets greater every year (I'm waiting for the e-Golf). Which is why the mayors are so frantic to get mobility pricing, they're killing the goose that laid a golden egg for transit funding.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I would be surprised if they get their gas from WA.

I don't remember but I though Prince George also had a Husky refinery. More likely the refineries in Edmonton or Regina, perhaps Burnaby.

Parkland Fuel operates the Burnaby refinery that is fed by the Kinder Morgan pipeline.
Yeah. The Husky refinery in Prince George supplies the northern BC market.

The Kinder Morgan distribution hub/tank farm in Kamloops supplies the rest of the interior BC market. The KM pipeline is a "batched pipeline" and I am referring to gasoline products here.

The Cherry Point refinery in WA State supplies mostly jet fuel (and some diesel) to the Lower Mainland/Van Isle markets.

The Burnaby refinery produces both "premium" gasoline blends and some jet fuel for the LM market. Most of the LM/Van Isle market is supplied through the KM pipeline - "batched" gasoline/diesel products.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Yeah. The Husky refinery in Prince George supplies the northern BC market.

The Kinder Morgan distribution hub/tank farm in Kamloops supplies the rest of the interior BC market. The KM pipeline is a "batched pipeline" and I am referring to gasoline products here.

The Cherry Point refinery in WA State supplies mostly jet fuel (and some diesel) to the Lower Mainland/Van Isle markets.

The Burnaby refinery produces both "premium" gasoline blends and some jet fuel for the LM market. Most of the LM/Van Isle market is supplied through the KM pipeline - "batched" gasoline/diesel products.
Regardless of where it comes from, it is too expensive. I will continue to fill up as much as possible at the Fred Meyer in Bellingham at 0.83 Can. As the dollar gets stronger, the price will get better.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Regardless of where it comes from, it is too expensive. I will continue to fill up as much as possible at the Fred Meyer in Bellingham at 0.83 Can. As the dollar gets stronger, the price will get better.
The only caveat that makes me ponder the financial wisdom of driving from Vancouver to fill up in Bellingham (unless one lives/works right next to the border) is the amount of gas one uses just to drive over 100 miles (or so) round trip (compounded by possible fuel wasting highway traffic jams) for a few cents savings (especially if your vehicle has RELATIVELY poor gas mileage).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
The only caveat that makes me ponder the financial wisdom of driving from Vancouver to fill up in Bellingham (unless one lives/works right next to the border) is the amount of gas one uses just to drive over 100 miles (or so) round trip (compounded by possible fuel wasting highway traffic jams) for a few cents savings (especially if your vehicle has RELATIVELY poor gas mileage).
I don't just drive to fill up obviously. We pick up our US online purchases from a friend's place and do a routine shopping trip. Never pay a dime at the border and save a ton of money. We do live near the border so that's help obviously.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't just drive to fill up obviously. We pick up our US online purchases from a friend's place and do a routine shopping trip. Never pay a dime at the border and save a ton of money. We do live near the border so that's help obviously.
Makes sense (saves cents/money) then.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
The only caveat that makes me ponder the financial wisdom of driving from Vancouver to fill up in Bellingham (unless one lives/works right next to the border) is the amount of gas one uses just to drive over 100 miles (or so) round trip...
You don't have to go all the way to Bellingham to fill up. Whenever I'm coming back from the US I usually stop in at the Chevron in Ferndale.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
You don't have to go all the way to Bellingham to fill up. Whenever I'm coming back from the US I usually stop in at the Chevron in Ferndale.
That Chevron is usually quite a bit more expensive than the other gas stations a couple blocks away.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
My point though is that it's really only "profitable" to go the lengthy distance into the U.S. for gas if there are other compelling reasons (like buying a whole lot of other goods that are relatively more expensive in Canada OR if one were to have a very large portable gas tank which one would then fill up with -say- a week's supply of cheaper gas).

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Jul 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:40 PM

Does Canadian gas have 15% ethanol blend in it like the US

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
Does Canadian gas have 15% ethanol blend in it like the US
Yes. 87 and 89 octane petrol contains ethanol. Certain premium blends, such as Chevron 94 and Shell 91, do not contain ethanol. Most gas stations have this information on each pump.

Last edited by TrickyTree; Jul 10, 2017 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 3:31 PM

Wink

Quote:
Good to see your support for the local Canadian economy.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyTree View Post
Yup,..."Make America Great Again"....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure