HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Does anyone know what the latest is here? This must be fully excavated by now?
Cement truck discharging into a backhoe and backhoe wanders across to the back of the lot and slowly dumps concrete into several square spaces.
Other equipment continue removing slate.
Apartments will be available in 2018.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:34 PM

Looks to me like they ran into some real challenges in that pit.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wheels View Post
Looks to me like they ran into some real challenges in that pit.
Not a surprise. I grew up in that neighborhood and it's absolutely full of slate. Everywhere.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:48 AM

Perhaps we should call the site 'The Moneypit'.
Everyone in the neighbourhood knew the slate was there and the feature runs from the harbour and parallel to Ochterloney to near Sullivans Pond, gently rising to a height of about 100 feet above sea level.
The contractors spent about a month on site and they are not yet finished.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:04 PM

^^ I'm fairly certain the developer was also fully aware of the slate that exists under his site.

Speaking of which, most of it is now gone! They have holes for footings and are digging out the last bit of the site right on the corner.

20170518_131952 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 5:33 PM

Looks like the hole has been finished and footings are finally going in.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 8:01 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:09 PM

I guess this one is going up without a crane?

20170818_113830 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 6:03 PM

Was on Ochterloney St today and it was down to one lane as they were feeding a concrete pumper to pour walls in the lower levels.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:50 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:11 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:40 PM

Now working on the third floor. I wonder when they plan to fill in the area out to the sidewalk? Currently the 'wall' facing Ochterloney is a fair bit back from the sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Now working on the third floor. I wonder when they plan to fill in the area out to the sidewalk? Currently the 'wall' facing Ochterloney is a fair bit back from the sidewalk.
A reliable source told me the developer is trying to buy the 4 unit building at the rear and thus be adjacent to Christ Church cemetery. Not sure if it would be buy, tear down and extend; or just buy and tear down to give future tenants a more desirable view.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
A reliable source told me the developer is trying to buy the 4 unit building at the rear and thus be adjacent to Christ Church cemetery. Not sure if it would be buy, tear down and extend; or just buy and tear down to give future tenants a more desirable view.
It's a shame this development and that old building were not required to leave a ROW for Victoria Rd so that a strip of the cemetery could have some graves relocated to finally fix the ridiculous configuration of Victoria Rd here.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's a shame this development and that old building were not required to leave a ROW for Victoria Rd so that a strip of the cemetery could have some graves relocated to finally fix the ridiculous configuration of Victoria Rd here.
That section of Victoria Road was once part of the Christ Church cemetery. The graves were long ago removed to the public cemetery on Dartmouth Common to enable the extension of Victoria Road. Source : John Martin, The Story of Dartmouth.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
That section of Victoria Road was once part of the Christ Church cemetery. The graves were long ago removed to the public cemetery on Dartmouth Common to enable the extension of Victoria Road. Source : John Martin, The Story of Dartmouth.
The "extension" is only one lane and is a blind hill to boot. Meanwhile the street continues in conventional form on either side of this bottleneck. If Victoria could have been extended as a proper 2-lane street for this one block it would have a tremendous beneficial effect on traffic flow to Dartmouth's downtown, to the point where I would suggest traffic signals would be needed at the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney. This is a prime example of how our antiquated street network stifles flow and by extension, development.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The "extension" is only one lane and is a blind hill to boot. Meanwhile the street continues in conventional form on either side of this bottleneck. If Victoria could have been extended as a proper 2-lane street for this one block it would have a tremendous beneficial effect on traffic flow to Dartmouth's downtown, to the point where I would suggest traffic signals would be needed at the corner of Victoria and Ochterloney. This is a prime example of how our antiquated street network stifles flow and by extension, development.
I don't really see how this would improve things as the major route (Alderney Drive) is not aligned to accommodate a large traffic flow to Victoria anyhow. Plus, as you mentioned, the terrain is not the greatest for huge numbers of fast-moving vehicles with blind crests and some of the steepest grades in the city. Sounds to me like you would just be trading one traffic problem for other traffic problems.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don't really see how this would improve things as the major route (Alderney Drive) is not aligned to accommodate a large traffic flow to Victoria anyhow. Plus, as you mentioned, the terrain is not the greatest for huge numbers of fast-moving vehicles with blind crests and some of the steepest grades in the city. Sounds to me like you would just be trading one traffic problem for other traffic problems.
Victoria is the main north-south route for traffic in old Dartmouth, not Alderney. Except that once you pass Thistle St it doesn't allow access to downtown easily as you cannot continue without a detour around the cemetery. This would fix that problem.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Victoria is the main north-south route for traffic in old Dartmouth, not Alderney. Except that once you pass Thistle St it doesn't allow access to downtown easily as you cannot continue without a detour around the cemetery. This would fix that problem.
I don't see the traffic flowing that way, however. The main routes I see to/from and through Dartmouth are Magazine/Victoria/MacKay Bridge, 111/MacKay Bridge, 118/Woodland/Victoria/Nantucket/Macdonald Bridge, Portland or Pleasant/Portland,Alderney,ferry or Macdonald Bridge via Wyse. Maybe Victoria would factor into it if you opened it up, but I don't see it as being a major impediment at this time.

Besides, other than the ferry, there aren't throngs of people needing to get into/out of downtown Dartmouth these days. It's typically the people looking for the fastest way to get 'through' Dartmouth to Halifax from the suburbs or from places outside the city like Enfield and Elmsdale. So I don't really see the need to make and expressway to the downtown through the cemetary at Victoria...

Interestingly enough, it's a very timely discussion given the 1971 proposal that Sam Austin posted yesterday:

http://www.samaustin.ca/redesigning-prince-albert-road/

I shudder to think of it as it would have destroyed the neighborhood in which I grew up.

From Sam's post:

Quote:
Imagine Victoria Road as a sunken expressway cutting across Dartmouth, demolishing half of the Flower Streets, an overpass at Thistle Street, all of the cross-streets like Cherry and Russell cut off, and a giant roundabout at the foot of Maple that, in some future phase, would have its own flyover ramps Cogswell style. Sullivan’s Pond adjacent to a spaghetti interchange of fast moving traffic? Truly an awful vision, but pretty standard thinking for the era.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:12 PM

That would have been great for traffic management in Dartmouth. Sad it was not built, although it failed to deal with some of the other big issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth