HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 2:39 AM

'The Grid,' the proposal at Mesa Dr./Main, has an update. They pushed back the dates again in the development agreement with the city. But the staff report to City council says that financing is "being finalized,' so they promise they're going to break ground this summer. We'll see. Development also had a website now.

https://thegridinmesa.com

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:35 PM

I don't know if this is high profile enough, but I thought some people here might find it interesting:

Goldwater brewery plans to add a second location at Longbow Marketplace in Northeast Mesa, along with the already announced FatCats entertainment center. It's good to see something like this take off since that part of town has been practically dead developmentally for as long as I can remember.

http://www.phoenixcommercialadvisors...fo/reck202.htm

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:37 PM

The Strand @ Gilbert will offer 25-acres of water activities for every age. The facility is expected to open in the summer of 2020 and will include the following amenities:
  • Cable Wake Park
    Surf Lagoon
    Inflatable Water Park
    Sand Beach
    Restaurant with food and beverage service
    Water Safety and Conservation Education
    Restrooms
    Outdoor Cabanas Areas (for rent) in turf/Beach area
    Indoor Party Rooms
    Indoor Arcade*
    Inflatable Play Structures
    Kids Play Area
    Merchandise Sales*
    Rental of Storage Lockers and Equipment*
    Floating tubes
    Lessons
    Kayak, canoeing and Paddle Boarding
    Yoga Courses
    Swimming areas
    Video Boards and amplified music

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 8:42 PM

I took a quick photo of the New Square project in Chandler

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:52 PM
Modulator

FC Arizona to Build 10,900 Seat Stadium

Looks like Phoenix Rising won't be the only game in town. FC Arizona to build a fairly large stadium. Good win for wherever this goes. I'm guessing somewhere in East Mesa although the exact location isn't disclosed.

Quote:
FC Arizona announces plans for facility, 10,900-seat multi-use stadium in Phoenix
Posted: 5:39 AM, Apr 19, 2019 Updated: 5:39 AM, Apr 19, 2019
By: Shane Dale

FC Arizona, a soccer club that competes in the National Premier Soccer League, announced plans Thursday for a new facility in the Southeast Valley, including a 10,900-seat multi-use stadium.

The exact location of the facility is to be determined, but FC Arizona said it is working with real-estate developers and investors to create the venue as part of a mixed-use development that includes offices, retail locations and a hotel.

In addition to the stadium, the facility will include four full-size fields, classrooms and an indoor soccer facility. FC Arizona, which currently plays its home games at Mesa High School, will be the primary tenant of the facility, but the club plans to hold concerts, high school football championships and other sporting events at the venue.

FC Arizona hopes to break ground on the facility in early 2021. It will be built on private land and will not require taxpayer funds, according to the team.

FC Arizona is in its third year of competition. In addition to its men's team, it recently added a women's soccer team and just announced the creation of a youth program. The NPSL is generally recognized as a fourth-tier soccer league in the United States.

FC Arizona released artist renderings of what the completed venue is expected to look like.
Source: https://www.abc15.com/sports/fc-ariz...ast-of-phoenix

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Looks like Phoenix Rising won't be the only game in town. FC Arizona to build a fairly large stadium. Good win for wherever this goes. I'm guessing somewhere in East Mesa although the exact location isn't disclosed.

Source: https://www.abc15.com/sports/fc-ariz...ast-of-phoenix
that'd be a great venue for some outdoor concerts with actual seats too!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:05 PM

Apartments by the LDS temple:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Benedectine University and Catholic higher education

This is an interesting article about the efforts of Catholic colleges and universities to establish second campuses in the East Valley. Much of the emphasis is on Benedictine in downtown Mesa. One detail has me confused, though. Sports are mentioned as a feature for Benedictine, but I have no idea of where teams would practice or play. From what I've seen of the Mesa campus, it's just a building along Main Street. Are there facilities elsewhere?

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...n-they-succeed

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
This is an interesting article about the efforts of Catholic colleges and universities to establish second campuses in the East Valley. Much of the emphasis is on Benedictine in downtown Mesa. One detail has me confused, though. Sports are mentioned as a feature for Benedictine, but I have no idea of where teams would practice or play. From what I've seen of the Mesa campus, it's just a building along Main Street. Are there facilities elsewhere?

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...n-they-succeed
Very interesting article. Glad to see that Benedictine seems to be doing OK--I didn't have high hopes.

They do have sports, but they don't have any of their own facilities as far as I know. They play basketball and volleyball at Mesa Community College, golf in Las Sendas, and baseball/softball/soccer at Riverview park, I believe at the fields next to the Cubs' Sloan Park.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:01 PM

Mesa is moving forward with an RFQ for developers for Site 17--the vacant land at Mesa Dr./University that Mesa bought through eminent domain and razed in the late 80s for a pie-in-the-sky resort plan that fell through, and which has been vacant ever since. Hopefully they've already done some work behind the scenes and they have at least one developer that is interested--Mesa hasn't always had much interest in their RFPs.

http://azbex.com/developer-requested...own-mesa-site/

Glad to see that they plan to maintain the historic street grid, and are planning with an eye toward connecting the site to light rail .5 miles away. The site is in an opportunity zone, so maybe that will be the extra nudge they need to get something done.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:18 PM

Underground parking is done for the apartments by the LDS temple. Elevator cores are rising:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 6:57 PM

Tenant signed for 150k SF in the big office complex planned by Sloan Park.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...st-tenant.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 7:09 PM

Could you post since I won't be able to see behind the paywall until later tonight lol...please...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 7:47 PM

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
could you post since i won't be able to see behind the paywall until later tonight lol...please...
Quote:
the union, a 1.35 million-square-foot class a office complex planned near the chicago cubs' spring training home in mesa, signed its first office tenant.

Wageworks inc., a san mateo, california-based employee benefits administrator, has committed to 150,000 square feet of space and plans to bring 1,000 employees to the site. The company plans to use its new space as a primary u.s. Operating site, housing approximately 500 current employees and generating about 500 new jobs for the valley.

In may 2018, the city of mesa selected lincoln property co. And harvard investments to develop the office park on 28.2 acres of city-owned land. The project's first phase is planned to break ground this summer.

This area is booming, and we are proud that wageworks has selected mesa for their primary operating site, bringing 1,000 jobs to the epicenter of district 1," mesa mayor john giles said in a statement.

The first office building will total 232,000 square feet and include a 1,120-space, four-level parking garage.

Buildings at union will range from four to eight stories and from 232,000 to 450,000 square feet. Davis is the project architect. Layton construction co. Is the general contractor. Ryan orton and scott maxwell from cresa represented wageworks in the lease transaction. Lincoln property co. And cushman & wakefield are union’s exclusive leasing brokers.

“union continues to build out the mixed-use vision that the city of mesa established years ago when it created this master plan and earmarked this land for premier, class a office space,” said david krumwiede, executive vice president for lincoln property co., in a statement.

The project will be built on what is now city-owned soccer fields near rio salado parkway, dobson road and loop 202 and across the street from the mesa riverview retail development.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 7:53 PM

And yet another reason to a growing list why the Tempe streetcar should be extended to Mesa Riverview and the Cubs stadium via Rio Salado.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:55 PM
Modulator

Gilbert's new regional park to open next month for the first phase. Here's a look at it:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...what-to-expect

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Sep 10, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:09 PM

Noticed for the first time yesterday that they are pretty far along on the next phase of the "Wrigleyville West" development by the Cubs' stadium. For a couple years the hotel was the only thing built, and the rest of the planned development lagged behind. Now they've got some kind of 3-4 story wood construction that abuts to the hotel going in.

I'm going to dig around, but in the meantime, anyone know more about the current plans for the additional space?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Noticed for the first time yesterday that they are pretty far along on the next phase of the "Wrigleyville West" development by the Cubs' stadium. For a couple years the hotel was the only thing built, and the rest of the planned development lagged behind. Now they've got some kind of 3-4 story wood construction that abuts to the hotel going in.

I'm going to dig around, but in the meantime, anyone know more about the current plans for the additional space?
Yes the developer who had the rights that built the Sheraton? next door had also that lot entitled to be another hotel (or an expansion of the existing one). Looks like he's moving forward with his entitled piece for the additional hotel. Not sure what else is in the works for the area other than the office development (WageWorks) that is about to start construction soon.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Yes the developer who had the rights that built the Sheraton? next door had also that lot entitled to be another hotel (or an expansion of the existing one). Looks like he's moving forward with his entitled piece for the additional hotel. Not sure what else is in the works for the area other than the office development (WageWorks) that is about to start construction soon.
Thanks, makes sense--looks like a hotel. So assumedly a different brand? Will be interesting to see if more builds up around the hotels and the Union offices where WageWorks is going to go.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:07 PM

Right...If I remember correctly, the grass lawns used for parking south of the hotels will be eventually developed and north as well to where the offices are going in. What remains of Riverview park will be those areas to the east where the pond, climbing structure, etc are located.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest