HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
I wasn't there, but a friend who was filled me in.

I know that the group that was opposed mentioned increased traffic from the 9 condo units. They also brought up that the people who lived in the duplex on the property would be displaced; they were present. They also brought in the woman who lives next door and she talked about how the developer tried to get her to sell too, but she didn't. (Not sure what that had to do with anything.) I think there was talk about the lack of affordable housing. I honestly don't know on what basis the ZRB voted to deny. I believe it was a 3-1 vote.

Was anyone there who can offer a more complete answer?
ZRB approved with conditions. Conditions being they build to submitted plans and it does not exceed nine stories.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Just to be clear, those of us who are questioning how real this development is want to see it happen, but things just don't add up.

Neighbor, I wish you would have said how do you intend to start pouring a foundation when (A) You have not applied for the appropriate permits and (B) You don't have a General Contractor. Olympia Heights Management hasn't even paid their impact fees from 2017 - $159K. Below is a link to view their permits:

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...ntTabIndex%7C1
Well idk the answer to those questions. I'm not affiliated with the project in any capacity; I just walked in there and took the tour because I was curious. I'm just relaying what the sales rep told me when I asked about their schedule.
Of course you dont, but ATL3k was just hoping that YOU would ask the sales rep those questions because that would expose them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
ZRB approved with conditions. Conditions being they build to submitted plans and it does not exceed nine stories.
That's not what my friend said happened.

Also, there's this from the website.

Z-18-47 An Ordinance by Zoning Committee to rezone from I-1/BL (Light Industrial/BeltLine
Overlay) and R4-B/BL (Single Family Residential/BeltLine Overlay) to MRC-3/BL (Mixed
Residential Commercial/BeltLine Overlay) for property located at 687 and 693 Angier Avenue,
N.E. fronting 80 feet on the south side of Angier Avenue, N.E. and beginning 191 feet from the
intersection of Angier Avenue, N.E. and Ashley Avenue, N.E. Depth: 90 feet, Area: .16 acres. Land
Lot: 18, 14th District, Fulton County, Georgia
OWNER: NIGEL WRIGHT AND ADAM JONES
APPLICANT: SATISH LUTHI
NPU M COUNCIL DISTRICT 2
NPU RECOMMENDATION: NO RECOMMENDATION
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: APPROVAL CONDITIONAL
ZRB RECOMMENDATION: DENIAL

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Of course you dont, but ATL3k was just hoping that YOU would ask the sales rep those questions because that would expose them.
I'm not sure of Neighbor's background, but I will say that I doubt they would delve into those details with any ol' average joe off the street, whether they're interested in buying a condo or not.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
I'm not sure of Neighbor's background, but I will say that I doubt they would delve into those details with any ol' average joe off the street, whether they're interested in buying a condo or not.
If the Sales person for a highrise development is not prepared to answer:
  1. Do you have a General Contractor and can you provide their name?
  2. What permits have you submitted to the CoA in order to start construction?

You turn around and walk/run your @$$ out of the "Sales Gallery".

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
If the Sales person for a highrise development is not prepared to answer:
  1. Do you have a General Contractor and can you provide their name?
  2. What permits have you submitted to the CoA in order to start construction?

You turn around and walk/run your @$$ out of the "Sales Gallery".
Maybe we should all get drinks in midtown and harass the sales reps

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Maybe we should all get drinks in midtown and harass the sales reps
No - lets harass the Atlanta Journal Constitution and Atlanta Business Chronicle for not being journalist and finding out what is going on. I am emailed people from both publication and nobody will cover it.

This is going to end badly and several people are going to lose thousands of dollars. It will also hurt new condo sales in Atlanta because buyers will be hesitate to put down 10 - 20% reservation fee for fear of losing it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:35 PM
BANNED

City Update on the Gulch Project
Post Date:08/13/2018 5:09 PM

Mayor’s Office of Communications
55 Trinity Avenue, Suite 2500 • Atlanta, Georgia 30303

Keith Whitney, Director
404-330-6612, office
kswhitney@atlantaga.gov

Michael Smith, Press Secretary
404-546-1465, office
470-372-8752, cell
mismith@atlantaga.gov

For Immediate Release: August 13, 2018

City Update on the Gulch Project

ATLANTA - For the last several months, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms’ Administration has been working ambitiously and collaboratively to continue the momentum that will transform the downtown area widely known as the “The Gulch.”

For fifty years, the site that was once a rail yard has been chronically underdeveloped. To many, it was little more than a yawning hole in the ground in the middle of some of Atlanta’s most prime real estate.

Year after year, decade after decade, the parcels that make up The Gulch generated zero tax revenue for the City.

But that is about to change in a big way.

With the City’s assistance, the CIM Group has committed to bringing millions of square feet in mixed-use development to The Gulch. The company will invest billions of its own dollars to revitalize thirteen blocks of unused land that will change the face of downtown Atlanta.

“At roughly the equivalent of thirty football fields, this will be the largest development of its kind in Atlanta’s history and in the entire Southeast,” said Mayor Bottoms. “Our Administration is proud to help make this a reality.”

Bond money generated for the project could reach upwards of a billion dollars and would primarily come from two sources: the Westside Tax Allocation District (TAD); and the Enterprise Zone Bond (EZ Bond).

Last year, the State Legislature passed HB342, which stipulates that any urban redevelopment project in excess of 400-million dollars can qualify for a sales tax exemption. The EZ bonds would allow CIM to use roughly five-cents of the City’s 8.9-cent sales tax to help fund the project. That money is from the State of Georgia’s share of the sales tax, not the City of Atlanta’s.

With the approval of the Atlanta City Council, the lifespan of the Westside TAD would be extended ten years to 2048, to help pay off the City’s commitment to the development.

The City does not pledge any portion of its General Funds toward the project.

Once The Gulch project is online, 20% of the TAD bond proceeds generated within its boundaries will be applied toward other projects in the neighborhoods within the Empowerment Zone and West of the Empowerment Zone.

Also, not less than 20% of the development will be reserved for affordable housing, with a minimum of 200 units, bringing The Gulch project in line with our City’s vision of One Atlanta, which ensures that none of our residents gets left behind by Atlanta’s good fortune.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:07 PM

I didn't miss this ...

"With the City’s assistance, the CIM Group has committed to bringing millions of square feet in mixed-use development to The Gulch. The company will invest billions of its own dollars to revitalize thirteen blocks of unused land that will change the face of downtown Atlanta."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 1:24 AM
Development Spectator

Opus will work great for years as a film location for “construction site.”

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
No - lets harass the Atlanta Journal Constitution and Atlanta Business Chronicle for not being journalist and finding out what is going on. I am emailed people from both publication and nobody will cover it.

This is going to end badly and several people are going to lose thousands of dollars. It will also hurt new condo sales in Atlanta because buyers will be hesitate to put down 10 - 20% reservation fee for fear of losing it.
In regards to a project like Opus, that seems to be in stall mode, what is the involvement of the Midtown Alliance in making sure it does not become a detriment to the over health of Midtown?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:41 AM

Wonder if there will be any money earmarked for the MMPT out of those billions offered to Amazon / CIM. Doubt it.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/8/4/...nal-multimodal

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
I just watched the video recording of the meeting. You can find the link to it on the ZRB website.

The discussion about this particular project begins at 01:35:37.

The DENIAL vote happens at 02:16:00.

The opposition cites the 2008 neighborhood master plan that any property that abuts the park can only be 5 stories. But the site isn't directly on the park. There's a single family home between it and the park. The ZRB's own staff said that the allowed height for the property is 6-9 stories.

The opposition also states that there's no engineering study, no traffic study and no environmental study; none of which are required, I believe. They say there's no affordable housing, which isn't required for owner occupied buildings. They say it displaces residents of the duplex on the property, whose leases expire next year anyway. They say it doesn't preserve the character of the neighborhood. That was pretty much the gist of their argument. I guess the ZRB agreed enough to go against the recommendation of their own staff?

Last edited by megalopolis; Aug 14, 2018 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:41 PM
AK

By J. Scott Trubey The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The city of Atlanta and the developer of downtown’s Gulch are negotiating a potential 10-figure incentive package for a mini-city pitched as a possible second headquarters site for Amazon, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...2gFcP/amp.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I just watched the video recording of the meeting. You can find the link to it on the ZRB website.

The discussion about this particular project begins at 01:35:37.

The DENIAL vote happens at 02:16:00.

The opposition sites the 2008 neighborhood master plan that any property that abuts the park can only be 5 stories. But the site isn't directly on the park. There's a single family home between it and the park. The ZRB's own staff said that the allowed height for the property is 6-9 stories.

The opposition also states that there's no engineering study, no traffic study and no environmental study; none of which are required, I believe. They say there's no affordable housing, which isn't required for owner occupied buildings. They say it displaces residents of the duplex on the property, whose leases expire next year anyway. They say it doesn't preserve the character of the neighborhood. That was pretty much the gist of their argument. I guess the ZRB agreed enough to go against the recommendation of their own staff?
Makes sense, I figured the board would normally follow the recommendations of the staff and the reports would state the final board approval, but I guess not.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
I guess the ZRB agreed enough to go against the recommendation of their own staff?
The ZRB (and the BZA) are appointed citizen boards and they definitely have a mind of their own. While staff recommendations are influential, they sometimes go their own way. I've seen them approve projects when staff recommended denial and vice versa.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:27 PM

If they don't move on permitting soon the city should force them to return the space to green space and Marta passthrough.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:57 PM

Tidbits from the Midtown DRC meeting last night regarding Portman's 712 West Peachtree office tower.

- 712 tower is about 50 feet taller than Anthem tower
- There will be no residential component
- The mid-block curb cut on West Peachtree that was previously proposed has been eliminated
- The arcade on 3rd street has been eliminated from the plans (I believe they originally intended this to be outdoor dining for food and beverage tenant)
- In discussing the 3rd Street side they were told "the opportunity for development across 3rd street is near term - probably students." to which they replied "I agree with that."
- They hinted that the tower would be occupied within three years (I assume the timing will be similar to Anthem/Coda. Anthem got moving in earnest shortly before Coda topped out)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Tidbits from the Midtown DRC meeting last night regarding Portman's 712 West Peachtree office tower.

- 712 tower is about 50 feet taller than Anthem tower
- There will be no residential component
- The mid-block curb cut on West Peachtree that was previously proposed has been eliminated
- The arcade on 3rd street has been eliminated from the plans (I believe they originally intended this to be outdoor dining for food and beverage tenant)
- In discussing the 3rd Street side they were told "the opportunity for development across 3rd street is near term - probably students." to which they replied "I agree with that."
- They hinted that the tower would be occupied within three years (I assume the timing will be similar to Anthem/Coda. Anthem got moving in earnest shortly before Coda topped out)
Were there any renderings? I suspect it will look differently than the previous proposal.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Were there any renderings? I suspect it will look differently than the previous proposal.
Yes, but I am awful at explaining them architecturally. I suspect either Midtown Alliance or one of the media outlets will publish something within the next 24 hours. The massing was similar to the last presentation, but not quite as tall and without the obvious residential component on top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations