HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 8:13 PM

^ that article was somewhat pessimistic in my opinion, starting out with "If completed as planned" doesn't exactly instill confidence in me personally.

But, hoping all goes according to plan and that main Office tower doesn't drop any more floors in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, edited title to specs from article, I see it as proposed as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Are we going with 22-15-12 for this proposed Development Echoes?
As per the PDF Link supplied Gibbs + Gage Architects, Parcel YY March.11.2016 Conceptual Plan ? Like to update the Change to this proposal.

* Side Note: Let me know if you'll be the Thread Starter for Saskatoon Construction at 10K. thx.
22-15-12 is right, I think.

(I can be the thread starter if needed. Happy to let anyone else that's willing to do so too.)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:56 PM

Cool, thx Echoes. Just start it when it hits the mark, you can edit it at your leisure, a mod will sticky it and archive the old thread..

the 22-15-12 has been changed from the article released from the City Planning Commitee info posted earlier. they're looking at ~ 20 floors for the ~95m office tower, down from 22. the 17/15, of course is the Combo Condo/Hotel discussed previously, which may or may not be taller or smaller, hoping for taller. Where this will all end up will eventually be determined by the "Demand in the Market", in a phased process...several years..

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 4:10 PM

I've heard that Stuart Olson might be getting the contract for the parkade foundation or the Construction Management for this project.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the issue at the root of this was that the City insisted on having a single "mega"-project (for Saskatoon) built on such a large site by one developer. They could've split the site into smaller, more manageable pieces of the pie.

A project of this magnitude hasn't been pulled off in our city before, and we're just not that big, regardless of what we want to believe. We should have known that it would take time, and that any willing developer would proceed very, very cautiously. That said, there are finally credible backers behind this project. It will be build out over time and based on the realities of the market, and not overnight like people expected (starting back in 2007).

However, this development project that we call "River Landing" often gets confused with River Landing, the comprehensive public redevelopment of our south downtown riverbank and all the related public amenities (now more than 10 years in). All the public infrastructure and amenities that have been constructed - from the new riverfront to the Farmer's Market to the Remai Gallery - stand on their own as fantastic and shape-shifting additions to our city centre. They have been embraced by the populace and the area's become a centrepiece for the city, with or without the private development. So it is incorrect to say that the public investment made was predicated only on attracting private development - although it was part of the plan - it was very much about creating an exceptional gathering place for Saskatonians. And that, I think, was a great success.

But on the private development side, the mixed-use project by LeFevre & Company out of Victoria, The Banks, is nearing completion and is already being hailed as an incredible success. And the mixed use model of development that it embodies is a first for SK, and dare I say an exemplary project for the entire Prairies.
Not sure that The Banks is the first mixed-use model in Sask....Canterbury Park in Regina has turned out to be a pretty good mixed-use project as well as a successful in-fill and re-purpose of heritage buildings. But I definitely share your enthusiasm for this project, as well as the Farmer's Market, Remai Modern, Persephone Theatre and that whole area.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
I've heard that Stuart Olson might be getting the contract for the parkade foundation or the Construction Management for this project.
Stuart Olson will be the Construction Manager for the parkade beneath the hotel / condo building. My understanding is that there will be a different contractor (or contractors) for the above-ground portion of that buildings

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Stuart Olson will be the Construction Manager for the parkade beneath the hotel / condo building. My understanding is that there will be a different contractor (or contractors) for the above-ground portion of that buildings
This often happens on large projects. They want to get moving but have not finished the detailed design on the upper floors. Mosaic Tower in Regina is an example.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:21 PM

Looks like they got their tax break

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...rcel-y-project

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Looks like they got their tax break

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...rcel-y-project
Now the waiting game.... how many more changes before they put a shovel in the ground. They say this summer..... we will see i guess.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Now the waiting game.... how many more changes before they put a shovel in the ground. They say this summer..... we will see i guess.
Summer officially lasts until September 20th. Based on that, I say no real start until Fall. There may be some mobilization, even some topsoil stripping, but no real digging this summer. All just my opinion, of course.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:21 PM

Well....it has been a month now since the City bent over and took one for this project....and still no sign of activity on the site. Our construction seasons are so short, you would think after getting the tax break they wanted from the city, the developers would be anxious to get shovels in the ground. Make me a believer...please....

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:45 AM

Phil Tank with the SP tweeted this evening that a groundbreaking ceremony is set for June 29.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 2:05 PM

Well...if anyone hasnt read yet...

June 29th 2 - 4pm. Groundbreaking takes place.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:02 PM

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 3:29 AM

So they are starting a ceremonial groundbreaking but we are not positive of final heights??

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
So they are starting a ceremonial groundbreaking but we are not positive of final heights??
15 storey hotel
22 storey middle office tower..no finialized height...but if its planned to be the tallest...id say they could be ambitious and go at least 100m. If they put their big boy pants on for once.

Then 12 storey office?

And condo will be attached with the hotel? Or will that be a seperate 4th building elsewhere? And 80 to 100 units...how big is that 17-20 storeys? Or am i off.

Just going off what i think...so dont quote me on anything but what the paper said today.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 6:27 AM

Thats how I read it all. I think they are doing the smaller office first though and leaving the 22 storey tower for last. I believe the condo is supposed to finalize soonish? Sounds like its supposed to be built more or less with the hotel. It seems like there have been a lot less details released since the redesign.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Thats how I read it all. I think they are doing the smaller office first though and leaving the 22 storey tower for last. I believe the condo is supposed to finalize soonish? Sounds like its supposed to be built more or less with the hotel. It seems like there have been a lot less details released since the redesign.
Personally...i prefer the last one. 17 hotel. 18 office and 27 condo at 95m. This new one is nice...but i just liked that 27 storey condo.

Whats does everyone else think...is this new rendering better or worse?

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post

Some what confusing?

March.30.2016

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...parcel-y-tower

Quote:
The developers behind the $300-million proposal presented their plan at Tuesday’s meeting of the municipal planning commission, where the plan was endorsed.

The development would feature three buildings to be constructed in phases — a hotel-condominium tower, a 12-storey office tower and a 20-storey office tower that could stretch 95 metres and become the province’s tallest building.

The 155-room Group Germain Alt Hotel is planned to be 15 storeys, while the condo tower is proposed at 17 storeys in early renderings, although that could change depending on the market.

“..project manager Blair Sinclair told Tuesday’s meeting on behalf of the developers.”

May 27, 2016

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...toons-parcel-y

Quote:
Plans indicate the the long-delayed project at River Landing will include a 22-storey office tower that could become Saskatchewan’s tallest building.

The project also consists of a 15-storey, 155-room Alt Hotel planned by Montreal-based Group Germain Hotels and a condo consisting of a planned 80 to 100 units.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 5:27 PM

Has anyone heard on parcel D/E yet? Website mentions at least a 25 storey tower? And that parcel sale has been pushed back 3 times now.

I think with parcel yy starting. Other projects will soon follow. Next up...city centre towers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan