HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:47 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I laugh every time I hear the name Captain Quackenbush

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:12 PM

Crane going up today for Magdalena hotel. Crane base is in for City View.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 10:31 PM

Anyone know more details on this project? Statesman article on the Schlotzky's site on S Lamar.

https://www.statesman.com/business/d...2kXDgtHIv3LhN/

There are quite a few mid-rise projects in the works on S Lamar and S 1st...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:17 PM

There's a longer version of the article with more information.

Seven-story office development planned for South Lamar Schlotzsky’s site

Quote:
Heather Chaffin, the city’s zoning case manager for the proposed project, said plans call for a building with about 154,000 square feet of office space and 26,000 square feet of pedestrian-oriented uses on the ground floor..

The developer is offering up to $20,000 to upgrade an adjacent Capital Metro bus stop.
Quote:
Activity corridors call for a variety of activities and types of buildings located along the roadways,” the developer said in a submission to the city. “Specifically, this project will provide an office use along the portion of the South Lamar corridor between Riverside Drive and Barton Springs Road where there are currently no other office uses, thereby providing a vibrant, needed use for the corridor.”
From the Zilker Neighborhood Association:

Quote:
Dave Piper, president of the Zilker Neighborhood Association, said the site is better suited for a residential use.

Jeff Jack, a resident of the nearby Zilker neighborhood, said: “My personal concern is that the building is too tall at 96 feet” for a location where height is capped at 60 feet.
Quote:
All parking would be in an underground garage, and parking would be made available to the public after hours, Swor said.

Portions of the garage could be used for parking and storage by the Zach Theatre, which is located next door, according to city filings.

Those filings indicate the ground-floor uses could include retailers and a high-turnover restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:30 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I like it!

So, they think it's too tall? It's next to a theater, a couple of apartment buildings, and an RV park.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I like it!

So, they think it's too tall? It's next to a theater, a couple of apartment buildings, and an RV park.
Perhaps it's a shade issue? Taking up too much sunlight for the theater?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:52 PM

It's being built by the same developer as 801 Barton Springs. I might have to actually oppose a project for the first time. Nah.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:04 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:57 PM
Meh

That's pretty wild. Don't let the people on those "Austin back when" Facebook groups see it though. haha

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:30 PM
Resident Moron

So a current fast food sandwich shop is "better suited for residential" and the area next to a VMU and a theater is "too tall" for the area? So, you would support a 70 foot tall VMU with apartments, or is this just normal "just not the thing actually proposed by the owner whatever that may be" NIMBYism?

Get fucked ZNA. I'm shocked they aren't after the bakery opening on Bluebonnet.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
So a current fast food sandwich shop is "better suited for residential" and the area next to a VMU and a theater is "too tall" for the area? So, you would support a 70 foot tall VMU with apartments, or is this just normal "just not the thing actually proposed by the owner whatever that may be" NIMBYism?

I'm not a member of ZNA but I do live in the area and I think the idea is that another residential VMU like across the street would be fine for the property. The currently zoned height fits the area. I don't think there is anything else either along Lamar or to the west on Barton Springs that is taller than the current zoning.

P.S. I understand why the developer wants to go taller. The lot is smaller than what the Cole VMU sits on. I just think a residential VMU is indeed a better fit for the neighborhood than a taller office building. Plus, I think the need for core residential outweighs the need for office, at least in this particular spot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:

Rumor is the city has given the bakery a tough go of it. Wonder if that is ZNA related.

Last edited by urbancore; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM. Reason: a letter

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post
I'm not a member of ZNA but I do live in the area and I think the idea is that another residential VMU like across the street would be fine for the property. The currently zoned height fits the area. I don't think there is anything else either along Lamar or to the west on Barton Springs that is taller than the current zoning.

P.S. I understand why the developer wants to go taller. The lot is smaller than what the Cole VMU sits on. I just think a residential VMU is indeed a better fit for the neighborhood than a taller office building. Plus, I think the need for core residential outweighs the need for office, at least in this particular spot.
Would the residential be affordable though? Problem is how NA's dictate how they want growth to be, makes it very difficult to have affordable housing. We also need office space as well especially along corridors like Lamar which brings a mixture of workers and residents, hopefully some of which will work right there in those offices making it easier for them to go to work without needing a car.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Would the residential be affordable though? Problem is how NA's dictate how they want growth to be, makes it very difficult to have affordable housing. We also need office space as well especially along corridors like Lamar which brings a mixture of workers and residents, hopefully some of which will work right there in those offices making it easier for them to go to work without needing a car.
The term "affordable" bugs me so much. I wish there was a term that we could use that more clearly articulates the need.

When I read "affordable", in most cases I hear...public housing, or subsided housing. Otherwise, if it wasn't affordable, no one would afford it, and they would sit empty, and the market would force them to lower the prices to fill them up.

The reality, is that most of the newer buildings are full/near full. And if they aren't, GREAT, they will have to lower the prices to fill them. The demand to live close in is HUGE, and won't go away. Rent control famously does not work...there is nothing the NA's or the COA can do to alleviate pricing...other than get out of the way...and let the market do it's thing.

When i leased my first apartment in Austin, in 1987....it was brand new....and they LOWERED my rent each year for the first couple years to keep me and my roommate. This was because the market overbuilt in the early-mid 80's. My rent didn't go up in a big way for almost 10 years.

Same thing happened in 2001, and again in 2008-2010....rents dropped like a stone in downtown. I saw 1 bedroom units at 360 go for as low as $1250/mo in 2009....sure that is anecdotal, but that is incredible.

Also, West Campus always has units in September that go for 25-50%(or more) less than the summer asking price. Your lease will terminate the following July, but I've seen many people take advantage of this quirk in student housing. The units that don't lease by the beginning of school in late Aug, lease for huge discount.

Not coming at you Dawg, just an excuse to rant over a word that has bugged me for years.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:29 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post

But here is the thing, the neighborhood doesn't own the land. A developer has acquired it who builds office and if the market wants office space, than there is demand (I think we're up to 3-4 office buildings either being built or about to break ground on Lamar). It's a major thoroughfare that is bringing in office space because there is demand.

It's not the neighborhoods job to dictate "what best fits an area". Until we give up on capitalism the market will make determinations as to what fits where, and if you actually want more affordable housing the only way to get there is to allow MORE housing in the area. Supply and Demand is how pricing works, and while subsidized units make sense to support lower-income Austinites most of the people talking about affordable housing are middle-income, and unless we want some government dictate on housing prices that would crush developer interest, the only way to lower the price of housing is to increase density in the core of the city, which means people like ZNA need to stop with the "f you, got mine" protectionist attitude because they don't want more people living near them over some nebulous desire to control the "character" of anything within a 5 mile radius of their house.

And office is great for density as it drives 24/7 occupancy of certain parts of town which has knock on benefits for restaurants and shops that will see higher daytime traffic than you would from residential.

We can fight over the height increase or not (and it may in fact be a canard to "give up" when ZNA pushes back), but the reality is ZNA would be pushing back against residential VMU as the current height limit as well. They fight *everything* going up on Lamar and it's getting old. A neighborhood association working with developers could actually work to benefit the neighborhood with smart developments, smart entry and access, improvements to traffic flow and ensuring that the neighborhood is brought into the conversations around buildings (hey, maybe your exit should be here, maybe we should get a traffic light, a nicer sidewalk would be good, maybe make that green space a public park, etc.) instead we get a bunch of frothing mouth breathers screaming about anything being built being terrible for the neighborhood. I can't think of a single development along Lamar that the stupid ZNA monthly news letter hasn't bitched about.

We are a city of nearly 2MM people, just because you own a house near the urban core does not mean that you get to control what happens on a thoroughfare through the area.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
But here is the thing, the neighborhood doesn't own the land. A developer has acquired it who builds office and if the market wants office space, than there is demand (I think we're up to 3-4 office buildings either being built or about to break ground on Lamar). It's a major thoroughfare that is bringing in office space because there is demand.

It's not the neighborhoods job to dictate "what best fits an area". Until we give up on capitalism the market will make determinations as to what fits where, and if you actually want more affordable housing the only way to get there is to allow MORE housing in the area. Supply and Demand is how pricing works, and while subsidized units make sense to support lower-income Austinites most of the people talking about affordable housing are middle-income, and unless we want some government dictate on housing prices that would crush developer interest, the only way to lower the price of housing is to increase density in the core of the city, which means people like ZNA need to stop with the "f you, got mine" protectionist attitude because they don't want more people living near them over some nebulous desire to control the "character" of anything within a 5 mile radius of their house.

And office is great for density as it drives 24/7 occupancy of certain parts of town which has knock on benefits for restaurants and shops that will see higher daytime traffic than you would from residential.

We can fight over the height increase or not (and it may in fact be a canard to "give up" when ZNA pushes back), but the reality is ZNA would be pushing back against residential VMU as the current height limit as well. They fight *everything* going up on Lamar and it's getting old. A neighborhood association working with developers could actually work to benefit the neighborhood with smart developments, smart entry and access, improvements to traffic flow and ensuring that the neighborhood is brought into the conversations around buildings (hey, maybe your exit should be here, maybe we should get a traffic light, a nicer sidewalk would be good, maybe make that green space a public park, etc.) instead we get a bunch of frothing mouth breathers screaming about anything being built being terrible for the neighborhood. I can't think of a single development along Lamar that the stupid ZNA monthly news letter hasn't bitched about.

We are a city of nearly 2MM people, just because you own a house near the urban core does not mean that you get to control what happens on a thoroughfare through the area.
I don't disagree with most of what you said and I particularly have no affinity for ZNA. I personally think residential VMU is a better fit but I'm also OK with it being an office building if it has street level interaction. I also believe, though, that the current height restriction is reasonable given that I don't believe there is anything in the west Barton Springs area or up Lamar that is taller.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:59 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:

What are the 3-4 new office buildings for South Lamar. I know the one on Heather, and the one supposedly going up at Oltorf, what are the other 1-2?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
What are the 3-4 new office buildings for South Lamar. I know the one on Heather, and the one supposedly going up at Oltorf, what are the other 1-2?
One is the former location of Oliva's (Lucy's Chicken). Office

Another one spoken about is the Genies Car Wash , IIRC. Apartments

Rumor about where Custom Sounds is located. Apartments

Rumor about the land surrounding Loro (behind and to the side). Not sure what that will be turned into.

Matt's El Rancho, the church next to Matts, and the storage units next to that are all HUGE tracts of land, that inevitably will be turned into something.

Anybody know anything about that residential (ranchette) across the street from the 704?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:05 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post

Rumor about the land surrounding Loro (behind and to the side). Not sure what that will be turned into.

Matt's El Rancho, the church next to Matts, and the storage units next to that are all HUGE tracts of land, that inevitably will be turned into something.

Anybody know anything about that residential (ranchette) across the street from the 704?
And the office building that just opened on Bluebonnet and Lamar (with gross street parking)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post

The Custom Sounds / storage site by Mary has been listed on loopnet for 13.5M for a while now with plans for condos. The new three story storage facility just north of it killed the downtown views though.

There's also permits active for Security Storage between the Chilantro shopping strip and Evergreen. Looks like this one is definitely happening.

There's fencing up around the old Olivia's / Lucy's on the Fly, so I think that big development behind it might be started soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin