HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
new section of A-50 opened, between Montebello & Papineauville (323/321)
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/actu...-50-ouvert.php
For safety reasons apparently, due to areas of rocks (lots of dynamiting was made in the area) most of the stretch is 4-laned and if I'm not mistaken, where there jersey barriers as well? If so, I would have put barriers on the 2 lanes sections as well even though it would result long queues of vehicules at times.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 12:53 AM
National Capital Region

Video Link

Here's a 2+1 in Sweden... 2 lane divided roads with alternating passing lanes. This video has an at grade intersection but others have mostly interchanges.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
• New bicycle pocket.
What on earth is a bicycle pocket? no, I haven't tried googling it, and yes, i should be ashamed of asking before making the smalles efforts to find out myself... But honestly, is that a term that even the informed observer is supposed to comprehend?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:53 AM
National Capital Region

A google search could have been confusing (this is a "pocket bike")

basically the bike lane continues between the turn lane and through lane, so that right-turning vehicles don't cut the cyclist off at the intersection.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CdRYX8qjhu...400/AASHTO.gif

here are a few examples
http://wiki.coe.neu.edu/groups/nlbike/wiki/56c1c/
http://calmstreetsboston.blogspot.ca...treet-are.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:51 PM

Thanks, that pic is making my morning!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 5:00 PM

That pic brings new meaning to the term 'crotch rocket'

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 3:02 AM
Awesome!

85% of vehicles going over 80 km/h on King Edward - hard to believe that.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Ot...690/story.html

Right here, the city just lowered the residential neighborhood speed limit to 40 km/h, but no arteries like King Edward had their speed lower to 40 km/h.

The 40 km/h on King Edward is so stupid probably more stupid than the wooded stretch of Lucerne Blvd in Gatineau (east of the Champlain) that is 40 km/h as well (200 m east of the Bridge)
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Sep 2, 2012 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 4:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
85% of vehicles going over 80 km/h on King Edward - hard to believe that.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Ot...690/story.html

Right here, the city just lowered the residential neighborhood speed limit to 40 km/h, but no arteries like King Edward had their speed lower to 40 km/h.

The 40 km/h on King Edward is so stupid probably more stupid than the wooded stretch of Lucerne Blvd in Gatineau (east of the Champlain) that is 40 km/h as well (200 m east of the Bridge)
The max on King Edward is actually 30 for a stretch when you come off the bridge and enter Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 5:16 PM

On street design alone, King Edward would ideally be set at 60 km/h north of Rideau. However, the community design calls for 40 or 50 km/h. I'm not a fan of 40 km/h on arterials, but an exception can be made here due to the extraordinary circumstances. Bronson north of the Queensway should also be posted at 40 since it seems to flow quite quick at many times of day, while other streets like Bank and Rideau seem to regulate themselves better. Normally, downtown streets should be self-regulating (40 km/h ideally) but having 40 signs is necessary in this case.

Some other fixes I think to keep speed in check:

1) Open the medians at Bruyere and Cathcart, and have traffic signals at both intersections.

2) Sharpen the turn radius at the Sussex curve to a 30 km/h design speed with flashing lights.

3) A total ban on through trucking - local deliveries only. All through trucks must go via Montreal or Chenaux/Pembroke. Alternatively, a truck ferry could be built at one or two spots at the edge of town.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

I'd hate to live in Lowertown, as you cannot possibly be more marooned due to closed street and one-ways, not to mention incessant traffic. If you worked from home, fine, but if you had to drive, I vote it as the WORST place to own a car.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
On street design alone, King Edward would ideally be set at 60 km/h north of Rideau. However, the community design calls for 40 or 50 km/h. I'm not a fan of 40 km/h on arterials, but an exception can be made here due to the extraordinary circumstances. Bronson north of the Queensway should also be posted at 40 since it seems to flow quite quick at many times of day, while other streets like Bank and Rideau seem to regulate themselves better. Normally, downtown streets should be self-regulating (40 km/h ideally) but having 40 signs is necessary in this case.

Some other fixes I think to keep speed in check:

1) Open the medians at Bruyere and Cathcart, and have traffic signals at both intersections.

2) Sharpen the turn radius at the Sussex curve to a 30 km/h design speed with flashing lights.

3) A total ban on through trucking - local deliveries only. All through trucks must go via Montreal or Chenaux/Pembroke. Alternatively, a truck ferry could be built at one or two spots at the edge of town.

I've been a huge fan of a truck ban ever since I worked on Rideau a few years back. I don't know why they haven't implemented that. From what I've seen the roads are not designed for that kind of heavy vehicle traffic. Those trucks certainly aren't paying for the damage they inflict on our roads that we have to repair. We have enough debt as it is.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I'd hate to live in Lowertown, as you cannot possibly be more marooned due to closed street and one-ways, not to mention incessant traffic. If you worked from home, fine, but if you had to drive, I vote it as the WORST place to own a car.
It was a great place to live without a car, though. Walking was no problem despite the dead-ends and one-way streets. I could get to class and to work in under 15 minutes.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 11:51 PM
Awesome!

Yep the new pipe will have to wait for a good week or perhaps two as it is done in Toronto.

Quote:

New pipe for Highway 174 sinkhole should arrive next week, city says

By Neco Cockburn, Ottawa Citizen September 6, 2012 5:19 PM

If you’re heading east on Montreal Road these days, you’re not going anywhere very fast. The afternoon commute was a nightmare for these drivers as they took the detour around the Highway 174 sinkhole.

OTTAWA — A new pipe needed to fix a sinkhole that swallowed a car and closed the eastbound lanes of Highway 174 is being manufactured in Toronto and should arrive next week, the city said Thursday.

There are no firm timelines, but once the pipe arrives, it’s expected to take “several days” to fix the failed storm sewer that’s to blame for the sinkhole at the Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard off-ramp, city officials have said.

It’s not easy to get a massive 3.6-metre-diameter pipe to replace the one that collapsed and caused the sinkhole shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday, staff said this week.

Because of that, traffic tie-ups are likely to continue for the many commuters who use the highway each day. Ottawa police on Thursday warned drivers to continue to expect delays on the city’s east side, especially during the afternoon rush hour.

“We are continuing to work with the city to manage the traffic flow but traffic delays will continue throughout the area until Highway 174 is reopened,” Supt. Jill Skinner stated in a press release.

Police asked drivers to use other routes, stay off the Transitway that’s reserved for buses and emergency vehicles, and budget extra driving time into their plans, noting that thousands of vehicles have been diverted from the highway and onto other roads.

The highway’s eastbound lanes have been closed to traffic at Montreal Road following the incident Tuesday that saw Juan Pedro Unger’s 2009 Hyundai Accent swallowed by the sinkhole.

Unger saw a black patch on the road that he was unable to avoid. He escaped with very minor injuries.

The highway’s westbound lanes remain open, after the portion of pipe under them was inspected by camera. That pipe is newer and in good condition, the city’s manager of asset management, Alain Gonthier, told council’s transportation committee during a briefing Wednesday morning.

The section under the westbound lanes was installed in 1975, while the piece of pipe that failed under the eastbound lanes was at least 50 years old and was last renewed in 1975, he said.

The older section was inspected in the summer of 2011 and identified as in need of a $1.5-million relining, but there was no indication that it was at risk of “imminent” collapse, said Gonthier. Contractors were at the scene cleaning out the pipe earlier on Tuesday to prepare it for the work, but Gonthier said it’s not believed at this point that anything they did led to the collapse.

“We’re really talking about a coincidence,” he told the committee.

Once the new pipe is obtained, staff would have a better idea of how long the repairs will take, Gonthier said. It’s also too early to determine what it will cost to fix the problem, he told reporters.

Workers on Wednesday secured the damaged area and pumped water away in order to prevent any uncontrolled sinking during excavation work.

Unger’s car remained inside the hole but has been carried further downstream to the north, Gonthier said Wednesday.

Councillors raised concerns about the state of other city pipes, saying residents had emailed them and were particularly nervous about driving over the highway’s westbound lanes.

“It does kind of make you think if it can happen there it can happen anywhere,” said Councillor Diane Deans, who asked Gonthier about the state of the city’s infrastructure and whether its assessment procedure needed to be reviewed.

The city has a lot of infrastructure that it inspects and prioritizes for repairs or replacements based on various risks, Gonthier said, but “unfortunately these situations do happen.

“The city was proactive in this case, we had the assessments done, the work was already being planned, and it is very much an unfortunate situation,” he said. “Overall, the city’s assets are in good condition, they’re safe, and we continue to look after them.”

ncockburn@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/NecoCockburn
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:04 PM

One possible solution I can think of is to change the flow pattern on Innes and the Blackburn Hamlet Bypass between Blair and Orleans Boulevard.

There are very few entrances on that section. As a result, temporarily - between 2 pm and 9 pm on weekdays - they should convert all operation to right-in, right-out only. The four signalized intersections would be a constant green with left turns prohibited to maintain free flow into Orleans.

Access to Blackburn Hamlet would be only via Bearbrook Road. As a result, it should be contraflow from St. Joseph to Innes (exit via Innes EB only, where a U-turn can be made at Blair or beyond).

In addition, all traffic - except buses - on 174 at the Montreal Road ramp should default onto Bearbrook Road. Any traffic going through on St. Joseph would have to exit at Blair Road or sooner.

A temporary bus Route 28 should be implemented during the closure to serve Blackburn Hamlet from downtown via Bearbrook, as eastbound Route 94 would not be able to access the community or stop near it. It would run only during the afternoon rush hour, approximately every 30 minutes, on the Route 128 Sunday routing (not the regular 128 routing).

Finally, a temporary bus-only lane should continue on Montreal Road as far as Ogilvie, to ensure Route 12 buses are not seriously delayed. Route 12 could be increased if necessary as well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Basically why I love living there. The traffic restrictions are totally over the top, but they were put in, to my understanding, to stop cruising Johns, not to calm traffic. I think there are a number that could be removed today.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Basically why I love living there. The traffic restrictions are totally over the top, but they were put in, to my understanding, to stop cruising Johns, not to calm traffic. I think there are a number that could be removed today.
Ah, hookers. Interesting!

I've have friends who still live there, and it's just murder to drive there at any time of late afternoon/early evening. I usually take the bus and walk down Dalhousie.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Nah, it's fine.

I lived on York for years. It's easy to go north on King Edward or east on St. Patrick, and there are traffic lights at Nelson and Cobourg for going east or west on Rideau, and then south on King Edward. The only thing that's a little annoying is getting to the market, but why would you want to drive and park there if you live in Lowertown?

There were a few maniac drivers going through the neighbourhood to avoid lights. A few speed bumps or raised intersections would be nice. One of my kids was almost run over once.

EDIT: Yes, that was a real "think of the children" comment.

Last edited by RTWAP; Sep 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:47 PM
Awesome!

Another suburban-sprawl producer road widening project planned

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...arp%20Road.pdf

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:02 PM

Wonderful! This will make getting to a place I never want to go to much easier!
And it will connect to the newly-widened 417 that Bob Chiarelli dutifully threw money at so people can stream out of the city at 5 p.m. and pay taxes in another municipality! And will have to be maintained forever via Ottawa tax dollars!
Thanks, Bob! Still no word on increased transit funding or a new Interprovincial bridge to get trucks out of downtown, though. Priorities, priorities.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Wonderful! This will make getting to a place I never want to go to much easier!
And it will connect to the newly-widened 417 that Bob Chiarelli dutifully threw money at so people can stream out of the city at 5 p.m. and pay taxes in another municipality! And will have to be maintained forever via Ottawa tax dollars!
Thanks, Bob! Still no word on increased transit funding or a new Interprovincial bridge to get trucks out of downtown, though. Priorities, priorities.
LOL.

They dodged a bullet with that typo in Figure 1: Stuy Area could easily have been Stud Area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation