HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:28 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Whether it will completely block the view or not, it will certainly change it.

And yeah, the hotel will definitely make a better sculptural statement if it's all white. If it looks like any other big glassy hotel then it will just be another big ugly bulk. If it's not all white it will be a big disappointment.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 8:03 PM
Sonoma Strong

great design, but bad location. almost completely blocks the view of the airport

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 12:21 AM
Robotic Construction

I think it's a valid point that has been made. The Calatrava designed terminal extension only blocks the view of the existing terminal when being viewed from directly south of it. Only the last little approach of Pena Blvd. is directly south of the airport. Most views of the airport from Pena Blvd. are from the southwest. From the southwest along Pena Blvd., the entire existing terminal plus the Calatrava extension will be visible. The other approaches to the airport from E-470 from the northwest and southwest will also have full views. For the short ~1/4 last approach to the airport on Pena Blvd., The twin hotel towers dip down in the middle to allow the tent peaks to stick up in the middle. Furthermore you'll have a grand view of this new Calatrava designed train terminal and hotel towers (which will also be brightly lit up at night with lights). This is a view that will rival that of the existing structure.

Bad location? No, it's the only location for this.
Almost completely blocks the view of the airport? No, Only from a small area directly south of the terminal does it block the view of the existing structure and from that view you will see a grand new train station and hotel twin towers that will rival anything there now and also be visible from farther away (as it is taller).

Here are more renderings, models and animations of Calatrava's design

Here is the Site Plan, to help with orientation

Denver International Airport Updated Master Plan Selection Presentation

Denver International Airport Updated Master Plan Preferred Alternative Presentation

Denver International Airport: The Next Generation (Ken's take at DenverInfill.com/blog)

Last edited by SnyderBock; Jul 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:08 AM

Is the hotel going to interfere with the Freemason's secret doomsday lair?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 3:44 PM

snyderbock please put info on skyscrapercity/transpertation section as the world should hear this thank you.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 5:03 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Wow, that is an absolutely amazing design! Denver already has the most iconic airport I have ever flown in and out of and this just makes it more amazing. I will be so happy when I can hop on a train to Union Station.

With regard to the design of the hotel I would prefer the roof not be rounded on each end but a little more triangular or come to a point, but maybe that's passé now. Also, maybe they could make those tent canopies in the main terminal a little taller to ensure that the view isn't blocked.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 12:27 AM
Robotic Construction

I think the Denver Business Journal did the best article on this project. It's a two page article with a lot of details, links and media.
I highly recommend you read it in it's entirety:

Quote:
DIA unveils expansion design
Denver Business Journal - by Cathy Proctor

The proposed design for Denver International Airport’s new, $650 million south terminal expansion frames the old with the new, Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava said Thursday at an unveiling of the long-awaited vision for the project.

The iconic series of tents that shelter DIA’s main terminal are framed by the east and west wings of a new, seven-story hotel at its south end. Under the hotel are two open-air plazas covered by glass canopies that allow light deep into the interior of a new train station and bus terminal...

Read more: DIA unveils expansion design - Denver Business Journal

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 5:48 PM

As an airport employee I love it, however I sure hope they find the $$$ for the rail bridge..

Btw the four-tracked shed amazing!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:07 PM

When is this scheduled for completion? The airport station and the light rail itself to the airport from Union Station?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^2015-2016.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 7:50 PM
Robotic Construction

It's important to note that it won't be Light Rail. It will be EMU using a customized Hyundai-Rotem Silverliner V train-set. The renderings I have seen indicate they will likely be painted white (using the existing RTD color scheme), to match the Light Rail trains in use in Denver.

The downtown Union Station is under construction now and do for completion in 2014/15. The east corridor EMU to Denver International starts early construction 4th quarter this year and full construction in 2nd quarter next year and be operational by late 2015. The Denver International South Terminal expansion/train station will have to be fully completed by late 2015 (in time for the lines commissioning). The signature bridge (if affordable) will be completed by 2013.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 10:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
It's important to note that it won't be Light Rail. It will be EMU using a customized Hyundai-Rotem Silverliner V train-set. The renderings I have seen indicate they will likely be painted white (using the existing RTD color scheme), to match the Light Rail trains in use in Denver.

The downtown Union Station is under construction now and do for completion in 2014/15. The east corridor EMU to Denver International starts early construction 4th quarter this year and full construction in 2nd quarter next year and be operational by late 2015. The Denver International South Terminal expansion/train station will have to be fully completed by late 2015 (in time for the lines commissioning). The signature bridge (if affordable) will be completed by 2013.
We need not keep repeating the same misinformation. There is NO evidence that the Denver EMU's will be anything like Philadelphia's Silverliner V's. All we know is Hyundai-Rotem won the bid. That's it. And those presentation renderings aren't what I'd call solid info. Suggesting the future color scheme from those preliminary renderings is just plain premature.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
We need not keep repeating the same misinformation. There is NO evidence that the Denver EMU's will be anything like Philadelphia's Silverliner V's. All we know is Hyundai-Rotem won the bid. That's it. And those presentation renderings aren't what I'd call solid info. Suggesting the future color scheme from those preliminary renderings is just plain premature.
The RTD presentations say that the Hyundai vehicle is an existing FRA compliant vehicle with 3+2 seating. Unless you know of another FRA compliant vehicle built by Hyundai with this configuration, it has to be the Silverliner V.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock
The east corridor EMU to Denver International starts early construction 4th quarter this year and full construction in 2nd quarter next year and be operational by late 2015.
Snyder - The official groundbreaking for the East Corridor is August 26th.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 9:07 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
The RTD presentations say that the Hyundai vehicle is an existing FRA compliant vehicle with 3+2 seating. Unless you know of another FRA compliant vehicle built by Hyundai with this configuration, it has to be the Silverliner V.
Misinformation? As Octavian said, they said it would be a new Hyundai-Rotem FRA-compliant EMU that will be similar to the new Philadelphia EMU's. That pretty straight and clear, they will be Silverliner V's with a few special customizations and painting theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Snyder - The official groundbreaking for the East Corridor is August 26th.
Thanks CPVlive. So groundbreaking will be the end of the 3rd quarter.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 11:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

They were speaking in general vague terms to an audience not filled with rolling stock design geeks like found on this forum. I'm putting my money on a HyundaiRotem EMU that may have 2-3 seating but looks nothing like a Silverliner dog from the outside - and it's especially early to be trying to predict the livery.

I predict something along these lines:

Railvolution

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
They were speaking in general vague terms to an audience not filled with rolling stock design geeks like found on this forum. I'm putting my money on a HyundaiRotem EMU that may have 2-3 seating but looks nothing like a Silverliner dog from the outside - and it's especially early to be trying to predict the livery.

I predict something along these lines:

Railvolution
Do you have more information on this model?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:23 AM
Show me the blueprints

I know its called the Rotem XG EMU. It was first revealed back in 2004 at InnoTrans. Here's a website with some stats.

photobucket

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yr...024&quality=80

Vancouver Sky Train's new Canada Line also uses a modified version of the XG EMU in a rapid transit third rail operation and interior layout. Many photos here. Video here.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 8:29 PM
Robotic Construction

After interviewing Santiago Calatrava about the DIA expansion, Michael Paglia all week preparing this article published in today's Denver Westword magazine:

Quote:
Taking off: Santiago Calatrava has spectacular designs on DIA
By Michael Paglia
Thursday, Aug 5 2010

Denver made international architecture news last week when Spanish-born Santiago Calatrava came to town to unveil his designs for the expansion of Denver International Airport. An engineer and an architect, Calatrava gained fame — and respect — with his designs of bridges, transportation stations and buildings. There was so much public interest in Calatrava's lecture, which took place the night before the unveiling in the Denver Art Museum's Sharp Auditorium, that attendance was far beyond the Sharp's capacity, and hundreds of people were turned away at the door.
Calatrava's light-rail station complex with the Jeppesen Terminal in the background.

See more artist renderings by Santiago Calatrava on Westword's new Show and Tell blog, go to http://bit.ly/DIAchanges. For a link to Michael Paglia's first-ever Westword column, "Flying Blind: The Art at DIA Is Mostly DOA,"

Calatrava's ideas for Denver are spectacular...

...First, as travelers approach the airport either by light rail or in cars or buses on Peña Boulevard, they'll come across the bridge. Calatrava proposes a graceful arcing structure with angled suspension cables that will hold up the railbed below. The arch and the footings on either side of the boulevard will be finished in white, a color cue taken from the shade of the Jeppesen tents. For Calatrava, the arched shape represents a gateway, and he sees it as working symbolically for travelers heading both ways. When they are going east toward the terminal, the bridge will function as a symbolic gateway to the airport; when they're going west toward the city, it will welcome visitors to Denver.

Next up is the stunningly beautiful station at the south end of the existing complex. The tracks and platforms are covered at the station's train entrance by a broad and shallow arch that's cantilevered and appears to float over the trains. The leading edge of the arch is cut away at the sides so that the semi-circular form follows a diagonal line like a canopy — which is what it is. The platforms extend out beyond the arched canopy, with the whole station set in a depression in the land that allows the top of the roof vault to come to a level even with the ground on which the Jeppesen, behind it, sits.

Beyond the station is the convention-center portion of the complex, marked by a vertical glass wall. Above and behind that is the hotel, with its entrance marked by another cantilevered canopy serving as a porte cochere for auto traffic. This second canopy mirrors the shape of the one at the station below it. The form of the hotel is quite unusual since the center has been cut away, and the opening is flanked by a pair of seven-story mid-rise blocks. This theatrical feature was clearly generated by both the function of the airport and the power and value of the Jeppesen, which is an internationally recognized symbol of the city. The cut-away allows the blocks to suggest the shape of wings and also allows the distinctive tent structure to be seen through the gap when viewed from the south.

Heading toward the Jeppesen, a continuation of the arched canopy in the front of the hotel shelters an open-air sky plaza in the back. The rounded edge of the canopy slips in just below the bottom of the tent forms. This careful connection between the old and the new is remarkable because Calatrava has created his own distinctive design while being very sensitive to the Jeppesen...

...Like the bridge, all of these features will be colored white. Calatrava explains that he could have done his elements in a complementary shade, mentioning gray and blue, but he felt that the relationship between the browns and beiges of the surrounding prairie and the white used for the tents was perfect, and he wanted to replicate that.

"I am not competing with the tents," he told me. "Our building is enframing the tents, so our architecture is working like a frame on a picture. The tents become a thema; the tents are also exalted by our buildings. The tents are working in tension — they are tensile structures — while the arcs are compressive. They are opposites, and together they become a promenade architecturale."

See more artist renderings by Santiago Calatrava on Westword's new Show and Tell blog, go to http://bit.ly/DIAchanges. For a link to Michael Paglia's first-ever Westword column, "Flying Blind: The Art at DIA Is Mostly DOA,"

In other words, the tent forms soar into the air while the station and hotel complex push down toward the ground, thus creating a dialogue with one another...

Read the full, article here

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:27 AM

Lightbulb

Isn't it a shame the Rotem XG EMU is NOT FRA compliant....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation