HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:22 PM
National Capital Region

Claridge Icon [505 Preston St] | 143m | 45 fl | U/C

Update - 2014 renders

from http://www.cgarchitect.com/members/view/matthewhallett

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...medium=twitter

Ottawa's tallest building planned for Little Italy

The 42-storey Claridge Icon would be the tallest building in the capital region if approved by Ottawa city council.

The developer says they hope the Claridge Icon could be open by late 2016 Tuesday, May 1, 2012.

Updated: Tue May. 01 2012 5:41:18 PM
ctvottawa.ca

There's another towering development planned for Ottawa's Little Italy neighbourhood which would again set the bar for the capital region's tallest building.

The Claridge Icon would be 42 storeys tall and stand at the corner of Preston Street and Carling Avenue if it gets approved.

"We see a great retail experience at the ground floor," said Neil Malholtra of Claridge. "We're looking at two to three office floors, and looking at 39 floors of residential units."

The building would stand where there was once a gas station, creating what Claridge said will be a signature entrance to Little Italy.

"It makes sense for it to become a point of intensification here," Malholtra said. "Also when you look at being on the edge of Dow's Lake and the UNESCO heritage site, I think there's an opportunity to do something really outstanding."

Many business owners along Preston Street said they're excited for the increase in population and customers the tower would bring.

"It will bring in a whole new population to sustain the new businesses that have come on our street, I think it's the way of the future," said Adriana David, owner of Piccolino Ristorante.

The area councillor said she's worried the tower would change the character of the neighbourhood.

"Historically this has been a neighbourhood of small houses," said Diane Holmes.

"It will be a canyon instead of being this low-rise interesting mixed commercial/residential area."

Claridge said it will be presenting plans to the city in the next few weeks, aiming for an opening in late 2016.

Another tower development is being planned for metres away – the SoHo Italiana was originally planned to be 35 storeys, but was reduced to 30.

That development by Mastercraft Starwood Group also has yet to be approved by Ottawa city council.

The tallest building in the capital region is the 30-storey Terrasses de la Chaudiere in Gatineau, with 29-storey Place de Ville in downtown Ottawa that city's tallest.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:30 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...medium=twitter

Ottawa's tallest building planned for Little Italy

The 42-storey Claridge Icon would be the tallest building in the capital region if approved by Ottawa city council.

The developer says they hope the Claridge Icon could be open by late 2016 Tuesday, May 1, 2012.

Updated: Tue May. 01 2012 5:41:18 PM
ctvottawa.ca

There's another towering development planned for Ottawa's Little Italy neighbourhood which would again set the bar for the capital region's tallest building.

The Claridge Icon would be 42 storeys tall and stand at the corner of Preston Street and Carling Avenue if it gets approved.

"We see a great retail experience at the ground floor," said Neil Malholtra of Claridge. "We're looking at two to three office floors, and looking at 39 floors of residential units."

The building would stand where there was once a gas station, creating what Claridge said will be a signature entrance to Little Italy.

"It makes sense for it to become a point of intensification here," Malholtra said. "Also when you look at being on the edge of Dow's Lake and the UNESCO heritage site, I think there's an opportunity to do something really outstanding."

Many business owners along Preston Street said they're excited for the increase in population and customers the tower would bring.

"It will bring in a whole new population to sustain the new businesses that have come on our street, I think it's the way of the future," said Adriana David, owner of Piccolino Ristorante.

The area councillor said she's worried the tower would change the character of the neighbourhood.

"Historically this has been a neighbourhood of small houses," said Diane Holmes.

"It will be a canyon instead of being this low-rise interesting mixed commercial/residential area."

Claridge said it will be presenting plans to the city in the next few weeks, aiming for an opening in late 2016.

Another tower development is being planned for metres away – the SoHo Italiana was originally planned to be 35 storeys, but was reduced to 30.

That development by Mastercraft Starwood Group also has yet to be approved by Ottawa city council.

The tallest building in the capital region is the 30-storey Terrasses de la Chaudiere in Gatineau, with 29-storey Place de Ville in downtown Ottawa that city's tallest.
What are the odds of this happening? I don't like the chances very much.

Notice Gray doesn't mention about this project in his blog since it is not in Ward 15.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:31 PM

Beat you by 2 minutes.

Anyway, having Soho Italia and this bracketing the entrance to Preston would look really good, especially from Dows Lake. And think of the wealthy people who would be a couple of blocks from their new favourite restaurants and bar.

Of course, the BIA has stated ()previously its members hate the idea of shadows and wealthy people living next door. Ruins a business, I guess.

To be fair - I've recently moved to a place a few blocks away, and would be able to SEE this building (!!!!!) if it were built. So yes, it would have an impact on me, one which I'm willing to live with.

Diane Holmes needs to be sent to the glue factory. She just needs to shut up. Somewhere - everywhere - there will be a 2-storey building near a taller building. That's not a reason to underdevelop prime, landmark land one block from a transit station and a few blocks from a (likely soon to be proposed) grocery store.

100 Champagne is above ground now, Soho Champagne is clearing site and getting ready to go, and these people need places to shop for basics. I'd rather live in a dense area with services close at hand than the Ottawa tradition of low height-faraway services.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:45 PM
National Capital Region

Looks good so far... edit: architect is Hariri Pontarini

CTV story video is now posted

and from twitter....
Neil Malhotra ‏ @neilmalhotra
when I get a chance I will post two images of our Preston Street project as the CTV article seems to crop out the top

edit: posted at the top....

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:52 PM

Just like to add on the Holmes/ "this area has traditionally been..." quote.

Areas that have traditionally been something but are no longer are allowed to accept other uses (Don't tell this to Ken Grey). Lebreton flats used to have a rail yard. No one is talking about forcing it to become one again.

Also, the 2-storey homes in this area (south of Beech) are not of the highest quality. I used to live in one, and most are not far from the end of their lifespans.
That said, no 2-storey homes are planned to be touched to make this go forward. It's a long-abandoned gas station site.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
here's an alternate view from the CTV story (video is now posted)
Interesting video. They have a restaurant owner and someone from the Preston Street BIA endorsing the proposal and then Diane Holmes opposing it. Makes her look out of touch.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:44 PM
R2-D2's army of death

While I see the odds of this happening being very minimal, it saddens me more that such a building is not being built downtown.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
While I see the odds of this happening being very minimal...
Even if business owners/the BIA endorse the proposal. In the video it sounds like they see it as more of a Carling project than a Preston/Italy project.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:59 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Even if business owners/the BIA endorse the proposal. In the video it sounds like they see it as more of a Carling project than a Preston/Italy project.
Sorry, but NIMBYism has made me cynical when it comes to things like this.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:09 AM

Bravo

Most of the two-storey family dwellings along and near Preston are nothing short of hideous eye-sores. These are original structures built on the cheap and are long past their best-before dates. The wrecking ball can't come soon enough!!

In addition to a couple of landmark towers like the one being proposed by Claridge, it would be nice to see innovative mid-rise (4 to 6 storey) residential lofts built along Preston and neighbouring streets. That way we would get the desired density in this area, grow a vibrant street life with much-needed shops and services, and no one (not even Diane Holmes) could say we would have a "canyon" in Little Italy.

That being said, it's doubtful Claridge will have its 42 storeys. After the usual backroom deals, they'll most likely end up with something like 25-28 storeys, but good for them for trying!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post

That being said, it's doubtful Claridge will have its 42 storeys. After the usual backroom deals, they'll most likely end up with something like 25-28 storeys, but good for them for trying!
I was thinking perhaps 35 stories but you may be right. If the final design were close to this first render, it would look awfully dumpy at 25 storeys, IMO.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:19 AM

That building looks a tiny bit like the Nautilus condos at Etobicoke shores in Toronto...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I was thinking perhaps 35 stories but you may be right. If the final design were close to this first render, it would look awfully dumpy at 25 storeys, IMO.
Agreed. Considering the strategic location, this is one case where taller would definitly be better. Yes, I hope we get 42 storeys or at least close to that. Say no to stumpiness!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:28 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:08 AM

Shove it, Diane! Just approve it!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:22 AM

This building wouldn't look good halved in height and fattened a la Ottawa tradition. Few do. Not that I'm making a direct comparison, but the Empire State Building wouldn't be a jewel of architecture if it was a block-wide mid-rise building. Be still my heart. "Why does anything need to be tall?" isn't a valid reason for following that strategy.

It sucks that Holmes has to be the reigning queen of Centretown during this time. Over the years she has effectively said there is no space where a tall building could every be built in Ottawa without destroying dozens of surrounding blocks.

As well, two buildings at the end of a street do not make a 'canyon'. This is just the same fear-mongering/selective reality we've seen for years. Eg - What about the ducks on Dows Lake and their Vitamin D? Or the three cars that every single-bedroom condo dweller owns that will need space for parking?

As for the BIA's members, they aren't stupid. These business owners aren't comfy, retired "Friends of..." types who have time and money to blow fighting change. With disposable income dropping all around, they're desperate for people to fill their restaurant seats.

Last edited by S-Man; May 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM. Reason: inaccuracy

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
no one (not even Diane Holmes) could say we would have a "canyon" in Little Italy.
She said it!

But anyway, I do think that the direct vicinity of Carling LRT station is a great place to build 30-42 storey (maybe 3-4) buildings + a few 15-20 somethings on Champagne. And also build 6-8 storey mid rises along Preston to replace the decrepit buildings.

That being said should really look in to converting the O-train to electric double track LRT with direct Airport to Downtown service and a station at Gladstone ASAP. O-Train as it exists (or even doubled to every 8 minutes) cannot handle thousands more people on one station.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:35 AM

Good luck with the O-Train wish, though a doubling of service and a proper connection at Bayview to downtown-LRT will help the situation.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
While I see the odds of this happening being very minimal, it saddens me more that such a building is not being built downtown.
I am going to play devil's advocate for a minute and say the following two things: 1) this project may very well go ahead; and 2) buildings like this may soon be built downtown.

I say this due to the following Ottawa Citizen story that I read today: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...183/story.html. This interesting article explains how the long-term vision for Centretown in the Centretown Community Design Plan is at odds with the city's current zoning codes. However, what is very intriguing about this disconnect is that it's deliberate. In a nutshell, the city is telling developers that they can build tall buildings in Centretown, but if they want to do so they will have to provide community benefits (i.e. pony up extra money) as the city plans to use s. 37 of the Planning Act moving forward.

After reading this article I saw the story about the Claridge proposal on Preston. This got me thinking that perhaps the city will entertain a 42-floor building, but only if Claridge provides sufficient s. 37 benefits.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Good luck with the O-Train wish, though a doubling of service and a proper connection at Bayview to downtown-LRT will help the situation.
Ya; it's certainly better than nothing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa