HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:59 AM

How come W. Sac gets shit done?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 5:13 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeFutbolero View Post
How come W. Sac gets shit done?
Less Government involvement.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:05 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Raley’s Field New Amphitheater

Raley’s Field, home of the Triple-A River Cats, is moving forward on the development of a 3,500-seat amphitheater where it will hold concerts, festivals, and community and other events, with spring and summer concert seasons anticipated to begin in 2011.

Raley’s Field has hosted successful concerts in the past, including Dave Matthews Band, Tom Petty, Journey, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. The facility will capitalize on the industry trend toward smaller more intimate venues and events not financially feasible in large arenas.

The amphitheater will be located behind right-center field on the eastern side of the property. The area in front of the stage will be able to seat approximately 1,230 people, and approximately 1,000 people may be seated towards the back. An elevated area will accommodate an additional 1,050 people with box and other special seating.

Construction is anticipated to begin immediately after the next baseball season in September 2010, and should be completed by April 2011.
Finally, a new amphitheater in the downtown area. I won't believe until its completed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:54 PM

Stimulus funds to create barge service between West Sacramento, Stockton, Oakland
ShareThis

Buzz up!By Mark Glover
mglover@sacbee.com
Published: Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
Last Modified: Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 - 10:02 am
It's not exactly like digging the Panama Canal, but local officials say federal funds intended to make the Port of West Sacramento a milepost on an inland marine highway will boost Northern California agriculture and local businesses.

The U.S. Department of Transportation last week awarded $30 million in stimulus funds to a partnership that will link shipping among the ports of West Sacramento, Stockton and Oakland.

The funds will be used to start a container barge service among the three ports, an alternative to current rail and truck shipping.

Officials said the barge service, which they hope to launch this year, would be used primarily to ship consumer goods and agricultural products grown in Central and Northern California.

Mike McGowan, chairman of the Sacramento-Yolo Port District Commission, said the port's share of the DOT funds is nearly $10 million, which will go toward a port crane, barges and facilities to house shipping containers.

McGowan said the partnership "makes the ports part of a system instead of separate" entities. Locally, he characterized the potential benefits as enormous.

"It opens up the Sacramento region. It opens our market up to the world," he said. "I think that opportunity goes a long way toward enhancing the importance of the Port of West Sacramento."

McGowan said he did not know how many construction jobs will be added locally, but he speculated that "it also will add secondary jobs and help stimulate the external economy outside the (local) port.

"I'm not exactly sure how comprehensive it could be, but small businesses in the area will be able to use it to ship containers down to Oakland, bound for China, Japan or Australia."

West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon was likewise upbeat.

"Our vision for the port's future as a key Northern California goods-movement hub is coming to fruition," he said. "We've worked hard to develop a strategy for long-term success, and it's exciting for the port, city and region to see those efforts paying off."

But one expert said it's uncertain whether the barge service will be economically viable. Jock O'Connell, the University of California Center Sacramento's international trade and economics adviser, noted that a past Port of West Sacramento study raised concerns about shipping costs associated with barge service.

O'Connell said International Longshore and Warehouse Union personnel charge for each time a shipping container is moved. A trip to Oakland might involve loading a container from a truck to a barge in West Sacramento, unloading it at a staging area at the Port of Oakland and then loading it onto a ship at that port.

"Those costs add up for the shipper, and we don't know how often those barges come by (in West Sacramento)," O'Connell noted. "If you have to have your (cargo) on a ship leaving in two days, you might want to make sure it gets there by putting it on a truck."

O'Connell said he likes the idea of enhanced California ports and noted that "it would likely provide multiple social and environmental benefits.

However, he added, "It is irresponsible for public officials to go down this river without being candid with the public about the costs involved and, more specifically, without acknowledging that the scheme is probably not economically feasible unless it is subsidized by container fees designed to discourage Central Valley businesses from using trucks to move their containers to and from the Port of Oakland."

O'Connell said a fee on goods shipped by truck could subsidize the barge program, make barges more economically attractive to shippers and produce environmental benefits. Such a fee could be levied by state air-quality regulators or the Port of Oakland, he said.

The "green" benefits of the barge plan – fewer trucks making long hauls on interstate highways, thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions, cutting fuel use and relieving roadway congestion – have been lauded by the Obama administration and local officials.

But O'Connell wonders how far shippers' green concerns might last: "You might have a businessman who wants to be a good citizen and do what's right for the environment. But if I'm your competitor and I know I can get my container on a truck and have it on a ship leaving Oakland in two days, that's what I'm going to do."

Most of the federal money awarded to the partnership, more than $18 million, will go to the Port of Stockton, which plans to purchase two new harbor cranes, construct cargo-storage facilities and construct new rail lines. Stockton officials projected that construction and installation will create more than 300 jobs.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 6:23 PM

When are they going to start deepening the channel? I know it was supposed to start this year and planned to be done in 2013, but it's still on for 2010 right?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 7:58 PM

the channel deepening should start at the end of this year. west sac postponed the start due to some building permit issues. Funding is ready and they hope to still complete the project by 2013.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 2:15 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Stimulus funds to create barge service between West Sacramento, Stockton, Oakland
ShareThis

Buzz up!By Mark Glover
mglover@sacbee.com
Published: Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
Last Modified: Monday, Feb. 22, 2010 - 10:02 am
It's not exactly like digging the Panama Canal, but local officials say federal funds intended to make the Port of West Sacramento a milepost on an inland marine highway will boost Northern California agriculture and local businesses.

The U.S. Department of Transportation last week awarded $30 million in stimulus funds to a partnership that will link shipping among the ports of West Sacramento, Stockton and Oakland.

The funds will be used to start a container barge service among the three ports, an alternative to current rail and truck shipping.

Officials said the barge service, which they hope to launch this year, would be used primarily to ship consumer goods and agricultural products grown in Central and Northern California.

Mike McGowan, chairman of the Sacramento-Yolo Port District Commission, said the port's share of the DOT funds is nearly $10 million, which will go toward a port crane, barges and facilities to house shipping containers.

McGowan said the partnership "makes the ports part of a system instead of separate" entities. Locally, he characterized the potential benefits as enormous.

"It opens up the Sacramento region. It opens our market up to the world," he said. "I think that opportunity goes a long way toward enhancing the importance of the Port of West Sacramento."

McGowan said he did not know how many construction jobs will be added locally, but he speculated that "it also will add secondary jobs and help stimulate the external economy outside the (local) port.

"I'm not exactly sure how comprehensive it could be, but small businesses in the area will be able to use it to ship containers down to Oakland, bound for China, Japan or Australia."

West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon was likewise upbeat.

"Our vision for the port's future as a key Northern California goods-movement hub is coming to fruition," he said. "We've worked hard to develop a strategy for long-term success, and it's exciting for the port, city and region to see those efforts paying off."

But one expert said it's uncertain whether the barge service will be economically viable. Jock O'Connell, the University of California Center Sacramento's international trade and economics adviser, noted that a past Port of West Sacramento study raised concerns about shipping costs associated with barge service.

O'Connell said International Longshore and Warehouse Union personnel charge for each time a shipping container is moved. A trip to Oakland might involve loading a container from a truck to a barge in West Sacramento, unloading it at a staging area at the Port of Oakland and then loading it onto a ship at that port.

"Those costs add up for the shipper, and we don't know how often those barges come by (in West Sacramento)," O'Connell noted. "If you have to have your (cargo) on a ship leaving in two days, you might want to make sure it gets there by putting it on a truck."

O'Connell said he likes the idea of enhanced California ports and noted that "it would likely provide multiple social and environmental benefits.

However, he added, "It is irresponsible for public officials to go down this river without being candid with the public about the costs involved and, more specifically, without acknowledging that the scheme is probably not economically feasible unless it is subsidized by container fees designed to discourage Central Valley businesses from using trucks to move their containers to and from the Port of Oakland."

O'Connell said a fee on goods shipped by truck could subsidize the barge program, make barges more economically attractive to shippers and produce environmental benefits. Such a fee could be levied by state air-quality regulators or the Port of Oakland, he said.

The "green" benefits of the barge plan – fewer trucks making long hauls on interstate highways, thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions, cutting fuel use and relieving roadway congestion – have been lauded by the Obama administration and local officials.

But O'Connell wonders how far shippers' green concerns might last: "You might have a businessman who wants to be a good citizen and do what's right for the environment. But if I'm your competitor and I know I can get my container on a truck and have it on a ship leaving Oakland in two days, that's what I'm going to do."

Most of the federal money awarded to the partnership, more than $18 million, will go to the Port of Stockton, which plans to purchase two new harbor cranes, construct cargo-storage facilities and construct new rail lines. Stockton officials projected that construction and installation will create more than 300 jobs.

When this is all done, I give it 2 to 3 years before we start reading articles on all the wasted money this has cost the tax payers.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 5:24 PM

More southport, west sac developments. Phase one of this project has been completed second phase is about to break ground, multi story medical office building.

http://4wayinc.com/images/Jefferson.Plaza.Brochure.pdf

Last edited by kamehameha; Feb 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:48 PM
Here we stAy

^Is that really the best site plan they could come up with? I've seen designs from 2nd years here at Cal Poly that would put that thing to shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Econgrad View Post
When this is all done, I give it 2 to 3 years before we start reading articles on all the wasted money this has cost the tax payers.

When all is said and done 15-20 years from now, I predict a sigh of relief that is was done when it was, since it will inevitably cost more in the future. It already should have been done 25 years ago. Investing long term in infrastructure is never a bad idea.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:00 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 1:21 AM

Another Southport development is Jefferson Village@Southport by APD(American Property development). It's a 250,000sqft outdoor mall with retail and office pad along Jefferson Blvd acros the monticello apartments also by APD. The project was suppose to open last year but due to the economic downturn construction will not start until summer of this year.

Last edited by kamehameha; Feb 28, 2010 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:11 AM

the jefferson village@southport is completely different from the Jefferson Plaza just down the road on Jefferson blvd.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 8:20 PM

another development under construction in west sacramento near the riverpoint marketplace. Riverpoint North Corporate Center, three story office building

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47958140@N04/4399344622/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Another Southport development is Jefferson Village@Southport by APD(American Property development). It's a 250,000sqft outdoor mall with retail and office pad along Jefferson Blvd acros the monticello apartments also by APD. The project was suppose to open last year but due to the economic downturn construction will not start until summer of this year.

Ugh.. I know someone who might be moving east of this area in the developments there.. I hope they don't put fast food joints like McDonalds or some other garbage in that shopping center. So far the Southport area has avoided junk fast food places, but with this downed economy they might look at a fast food chain right on the corner as easy money/assured income, as opposed to smaller chains or local businesses... I'm praying some good businesses go in there.

Also, there are huge trees in those lots right next to the old rail line which has been converted to a trail. i hope the parcel lines buffer enough to keep those large trees there, from the looks of those drawings it looks like they wouldn't think twice to chop those down for parking space - or to plant ugly palm trees.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 7:17 PM
Closed account

West Sacramento streetcar plan denied federal grant
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published Thursday, Jul. 08, 2010

West Sacramento officials say they will persevere in their efforts to build a streetcar line over the Tower Bridge, despite losing in their bid today for federal "urban circulator" funds.

Federal Transit Administration officials announced today that Dallas, Fort Worth, Texas, Chicago, St. Louis, Charlotte, N.C., and Cincinnati were picked to receive funds from among 65 applicants nationwide.

West Sacramento officials had hoped to win $25 million for a planned $35 million line, 1.2 miles long, running from City Hall on West Capitol Avenue to a spot near Old Sacramento. Sacramento city officials also are contemplating streetcar lines in downtown, near Arden Fair and elsewhere in the city.

West Sacramento official Maureen Pascoe said she and other leaders are disappointed but eager to push forward. The city had designed the 1.2-mile line to fit the current federal grant program, but officials night rethink their streetcar plans on a broader scale. Federal officials have said they might offer similar streetcar grants next year.

"This has really sparked interest, and it really serves us well for the future," Pascoe said. "We got the ball rolling."

Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 11:18 PM

I guess the feds believed it wouldn't be a profitable route. I mean really there is nothing around that route except for Raley Field and Old Sac. And who goes to West Sac? I hope the project gets built because it is a great investment on transit but I'm not surprised by their decision.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 1:10 AM

Article in today's SacBee:
Big development plans afoot around Raley Field

More details about the West Sac Riverfront project. Would be really neat if this happened. It's especially good replacing run-down industrial wastelands with modern urban environments. Hoping it turns out to be half as good as it looks.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 8:51 PM

most of the buildings are now gone......utility work everywhere..........and the tracks are long gone......it better become something now since the industrial part is now gone.

Just parking areas for river cats games

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 4:00 PM
Vizcaya Mansion 04/15/06

Update photo's

Could someone post some picts of this groundwork if you happen to be in the area (with a camera obviously). I am very interested in the projects in this area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 12:24 AM

West Sacramento is getting ready to build the long stalled riverfront luxury hotel attraction. A 245ft 300 room hotel will be built right next to the pyramid building aka Raley's landing or River 1. Consus Assest management will financed the purchase of the property and complete pre construction activities. Entitlements for mixed use developments has been approved including residential, offices and hotel in 2006.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area