HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 2:29 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
Fargo Forumers and the rest of the Forumers-
I am hereby resigning from the Skyscraperpage Forum.
I will still be reading what is going on because I want to be an informed Fargoan, but I will not post my ideas or tell anyone of developments that I know that are going on. I cannot deal with the people so I am wallking away. Thank you and good bye.

P.S. Of course I'm impressionable. I'm only 14.
F-M, don't let a bunch of arrogant Winnipeggers get to you. I was merely presenting the possibility in a thread in that forum that if Winnipeg doesn't get its act together, Fargo-Moorhead may surpass it someday in the far future. Don't take it any more than that. Let them gawk. Most of them probably have never even been to Fargo. And the one person who said they hated it here and it was boring, was obviously making shit up and/or embelleshing shit.

Don't take it personally.

And this is the 1,000th reply in this thread.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 2:31 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner19
I know alot of data centers are located where hydroelectric power is because thats the cheapest form of electricity. North Dakota is a coal state, which is more expensive then hydroelectric power.

I think as far as utility costs North Dakota is at a disadvantage compared to places with rivers that have big elevation declines. Then again if they get the wind power going then North Dakota will be at an advantage because the wind is always there.
North Dakota Coal is in its last throes. Coal in ND will be non-existant 20 years from now.

And we need, need, NEED to embrace wind power like never before.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 7:59 PM
Mr. Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
F-M, don't let a bunch of arrogant Winnipeggers get to you. I was merely presenting the possibility in a thread in that forum that if Winnipeg doesn't get its act together, Fargo-Moorhead may surpass it someday in the far future. Don't take it any more than that. Let them gawk. Most of them probably have never even been to Fargo. And the one person who said they hated it here and it was boring, was obviously making shit up and/or embelleshing shit.

Don't take it personally.

And this is the 1,000th reply in this thread.
Actually, I've been to Fargo and it is quite boring. I don't understand why you cannot accept peoples opinions and get so mad about it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 8:12 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Actually, I've been to Fargo and it is quite boring. I don't understand why you cannot accept peoples opinions and get so mad about it.
Thanks for blessing us with your great wisdom. Nobody has to accept anyone's opinions. Sure it's great to listen to what people have to say, but you never have to accept it.

I think most of you people that come to Fargo and say it's boring are already spoiled by the big city life. Of course Fargo doesn't have as much to do as Winnipeg, Winnipeg doesn't have as much to do as Minneapolis, and Minneapolis sure doesn't have as much to do as Chicago. Point is, it's simply logical, the larger a city is, the more there is to do. Also it's logical, that certain people, that are always looking for a good time, will bore of there own city eventually. Hence why I've heard of people from Minneapolis say it's boring and I've even heard of Chicagoan's say their moving to New York, because there's nothing to do. If that's your prerogative in life, to always be looking for a good time, so be it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 2:43 AM
Fargoan From 1999-2008

Quote:
North Dakota Coal is in its last throes. Coal in ND will be non-existant 20 years from now.

And we need, need, NEED to embrace wind power like never before.
I agree that we need to embrace wind power more, but the coal industry is not going away anytime soon. I doubt in 20 years that the US will decrease it's dependence on coal energy (about 52%) enough for us to consider coal to be in it's last throes. Also ND has single largest lignite coal deposit in the world, enough to keep fueling the current coal fire plants in ND for about 800 years.

You might over exagerate wind power as a draw to ND. Yes it is definitely a draw but it's part of the states energy trifecta of oil/coal/wind. The state of ND won't discourage coal use just as it won't discourage wind or oil. Why? Tax revenue. For Fargo it's a good thing, additional state revenues that can be allocated our way plus plentiful energy at a reasonable price.

Back a little closer to home, I see that 40th Ave out to Eagle Run is now open. I drove on it and saw that the new elementary school seems to be coming along well. It also seems that they're planning on it being four lanes from 45th St out to Eage Run eventually. I hope they're trying to fast track adding the new overpass/exit in West Fargo and widening the road to Horrace...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 7:32 AM

I just saw on WDAY that they are planning on expanding 52nd Ave S in 2008. However, instead of 5 laning it to I-29, they are actually considering 5 laning it to 45th St, due to the high volume of traffic that is expected to be on that road in the immediate and long term future. Estimated cost will be $14-$15 million dollars.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 7:40 PM

Wow, 41 pages of discussion regarding Fargo.

I was searching the City of Fargo's website and came across this:

The historic Ford Assembly Building is undergoing renovation. It will soon reopen with a mix of residential condos, office and retail.

Does anybody have more info?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:48 AM
still here

Sanchpanza, that picture is of the Historic Ford Building. You probably already knew that because you posted that, anyways, it has in it a high-end furniture store (I believe the only high-end furniture store in Fargo, unless you count Love It Furniture ), the MBA Architecture Group and Condos on the top floor. There are I think 4 left. I think this building is one of my favorites in Downtown Fargo.

Way back when when Smiley posted that 2007 map of Fargo with the "sprawly sprawl sprawl down south", well that sprawl has taken yet another step in being done. The roads are now paved on the west side of 45th Street and north of 52nd Avenue.

Entrees is another locally owned restaurant for the Fargo-Moorhead area. It has a drive up window and looks like it has space for sit down as well.

Blockbuster looks like it's almost ready to open in the new Town Square stip mall along with Entrees, Starbucks, and something else that I saw the sign for but forgot. I'll post that info later.

The stip mall in front of Playmakers is coming along and guess what, has arches. That is a popular design for Fargo, and probably many other places.

The giant stip mall in front of Target is almost done and looks very, very nice. Speaking of very nice, the Woodhaven Devlopment looks schnazy and looks to opening soon.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:01 AM
Steel City USA

Has anyone recently gone on a photo tour of downtown Fargo? I would really find it interesting to see if it has changed since i was last out there in August. I cant seem to get my pictures on here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:18 AM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:19 AM
Steel City USA

^Thanks for the link, thomjoe.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 6:35 AM

Thomjoe took those pics in 2004 with a crappy camera. I am new to this site, am a Fargo native, love my hometown. Fargo is something special. I was born and raised on the North side. I will never forget looking out my bedroom window at 8 yrs old and seeing the cool Hector Field search lights, and the Starlite Theater. Great city !!!! I miss you, Fargo.............

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 4:33 AM
still here

Strip malls cropping up all over F-M: A renewed trend
By Craig McEwen, The Forum
Published Saturday, November 18, 2006

Strip malls.

They’ve been popping up across Fargo-Moorhead – about 70 scattered throughout the metro area.

Since 2000, 25 strip malls have been built or are under construction in Fargo alone.

The city got its first in 1955 when the Southside Shopping Center opened at 1503-1543 S. University Drive.

Northport Shopping Center opened in north Fargo in 1956. Anchored by Hornbacher’s grocery store, the strip mall had three other tenants – a Marshall Wells hardware store, a Ben Franklin variety store that is now in the process of closing and a Walgreens drug store.

There are now 41 strip malls listed on Fargo city assessor Ben Hushka’s 2006 tax rolls.

Another dozen or so have either opened during the past year or are under construction, according to Fargo Planning Department records.

One of the newest strip malls is The Shoppes at Osgood complex at the intersection of 45th Street and 44th Avenue South. The complex also houses Fargo’s newest Hornbacher’s store.

Two proposed south Fargo projects, the328-acre Urban Plains development and 277-acre White Oaks Trust LLC of Nevada project, contain plans for future retail centers.

A similar – but smaller – trend is occurring in Moorhead. Developer Kevin Christianson, owner of Paces Lodging, has filed plans to build Azool Retail Shoppes, a 22-acre complex containing a 35,000-square-foot strip mall, and a separate grocery store, restaurant and bank at Eighth Street and 40th Avenue South, said Moorhead City Planner Deb Martzahn.

“People down there are pretty excited about getting a grocery story on the south side of the Interstate,” she said.

The project plat has been approved.

Another new retail/office complex is being built by Fargo-based Arista Development at 12th Avenue and 34th Street East.

Early Years Enrichment Center for infants, pre- and after-school children has already opened in that strip center.

When completed, Moorhead will have 10 strip malls.

West Fargo has three strip centers. The newest one is Eagle Run Plaza being built south of I-94 at 32nd Avenue West and Sheyenne Street.

Dilworth has no strip malls, but there has been some interest expressed in building them, said City Planner Stan Thurlow.

A renewed trend

“The strip center proliferation in America really began in the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s,” said West Fargo City Planner Larry Weil.

The concept has endured several phases throughout the country, he said. They’ve been overbuilt in some metropolitan areas and left vacant until a new use can be found.

“A community or area can only support so much,” Weil said. “Whether we’re going through that scenario – or whether developers are more mindful of what the market can bear – I’m not in a position to say.”

Many shoppers today prefer smaller malls with individual store entrances, said Fargo City Planner Jim Gilmour.

“The strip center is probably becoming more popular than the enclosed mall. You don’t see that many shopping centers built anymore.”

Neighborhood hubs

“Strip centers are trying to locate closer to where people are living,” Gilmour said. “It’s kind of where you get your neighborhood conveniences for the week. It’s not where you go to buy a refrigerator.”

Some have become neighborhood shopping hubs that offer drug stores, branch banks, coffee and sandwich shops, and hair and nail salons.

Gilmour said he expects that trend to continue. “As we work on our land-use plan for the future, we’re trying to identify the best kind of locations for those strip centers.”

Communities around the country are building lifestyle centers, said Martzahn.

“They are trying more to replicate downtowns where you have shops on both sides of the street,” she said.

That’s happening in downtown Moorhead.

“What we’re doing on Fourth Street is a strip mall in a sense,” Martzahn said. “And we have those stores facing each other across Fourth Street. It’s convenient and efficient.”

Moorhead’s first strip center – The Brookdale Mall – was built in 1962 at 24th Avenue and Eighth Street South with several businesses using individual entrances.

Much of the mall had been vacated by 1999. Today, the site has a stand-alone bank, a grocery store and several retail businesses.

EasTen, the city’s largest strip mall, was built in 1990 along the north side of Highway 10 between Moorhead and Dilworth.

Later, The Shoppes on 10 was built on the south side of Highway 10.

One of the city’s oldest strip malls is Midtown at Main, which houses The China Garden restaurant, 1126 2nd Ave. S., and a former Walgreens.

A small strip center with a Stop-N-Go, Domino’s pizza and two other tenants is located at Second Avenue and 21st Street South.

Several stores – including True Value Hardware, O’Leary’s Pub and CVS Pharmacy – are located in a strip mall at the intersection of Eighth Street and 30th Avenue South that once housed Sunmart Foods before it moved to Brookdale.

Holiday Center, a strip mall that occupies the former Holiday Mall site at 24th Avenue and Eighth Street East, is home to Aggregate Industries, Minnesota Relay and Little Caesar’s Pizza. A food court on the same site has attracted Qdoba Mexican Grill and Starbucks Coffee.

W.F. follows suit

West Fargo got its first strip mall in 1997 with construction on the Pioneer Center at Ninth Street and 13th Avenue East.

“The whole thing was laid out for a strip center development,” Weil said.

The number of store units fluctuates. They are contained in five separate strips with a stand-alone bank. There will be a Subway in a new unit, expected to open soon, Weil said.

Westgate Commons, home to retail outlets such as Old Navy and Michaels, is in the 1600 block of 13th Avenue East in West Fargo.

Readers can reach Forum Business Editor Craig McEwen at (701) 241-5502

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 4:53 AM

West Acres Expansion : Down with Strip Malls

I don't know about anyone else, but is it just me, or does reading about more strip malls just make you want to scream "stop building the damn things!!!". With the article stating that there is somewhere around 70 strip malls in the area, it makes one think. If you say the average strip mall has 5 stores/businesses in it, what if they would have just built a larger mall somewhere else in the metropolitan area. Yeah, I know many of the stores and shops are duplicated (Starbucks for example), but heck thats 350 businesses really spread out. If you would have concentrated that, you could have probably had another mall built and close to 95% occupancy with 150 stores. Here's another question, when is West Acres going to go through a major expansion. (I'm not talking food court, I'm talking the addition of up to 50 or more stores.) They've got all that land available if you pretty much demolish savers and the old Menard's site. Heck you could easily add another 40-50 stories with a multi-storey structure and have a skyway so shoppers can get to the new section of mall from the older one.

Thoughts? (Please pardon the absolutely crude attempt, with little detail and effort, I did on that image...I'm studying for Comps still and was in a rush)

(Glad to see you back FM...)

Last edited by NanoBison; Nov 19, 2006 at 5:48 AM. Reason: Added Aerial Imagery

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 6:58 PM
Fargoan From 1999-2008

I hate to say it, but I don't think the current environment in Fargo (or the nation as a whole) is conducive to shopping malls. For example Bismarck is having issues reviving its secondary mall (Gateway Mall) and has struggled to get it to be very active for years, but they haven't had issues with strip malls struggling and are going through a strip mall growth spurt like us.

Why? Sprawl. People don't wanna drive to a centralized place to get to one mega Starbucks, they want to go down the block to get to the nearest one. I don't necessarily like it myself, but what can one do.

As far as your design goes, not bad. I would think it would be better if they just expanded a little bit to the south beyond Macy's out to where JC Pennys is. Yea it wouldn't give them an additional 50 stores, but it would be a more practical and incremental expansion (10-20 stores). My preference would not be expanding out but up, I'm partial to multistory malls - less of a waste of space. I do like bringing in a hotel to the location though, you could put a beautiful hotel right behind Best Buy. Maybe a Hilton or something of that sort? Hell even a Motel 6 would make the area seem less fugly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoe
I hate to say it, but I don't think the current environment in Fargo (or the nation as a whole) is conducive to shopping malls. For example Bismarck is having issues reviving its secondary mall (Gateway Mall) and has struggled to get it to be very active for years, but they haven't had issues with strip malls struggling and are going through a strip mall growth spurt like us.

Why? Sprawl. People don't wanna drive to a centralized place to get to one mega Starbucks, they want to go down the block to get to the nearest one. I don't necessarily like it myself, but what can one do...

I hate to say it, but I agree with most of what you said. Yep, America is pretty damn lazy when it comes to doing anything. They usually want to goto the place that is the most convenient and closest to them as possible, not to mention, park as close to the entrance as possible.

Hopefully this trend turns around, as it's going to have to, especially if we starting having an oil crisis in the next couple of decades where it gets to the point that having an automobile that runs on gas is more of a luxury, than a necessity. (I hope by that time, alternative fuels and other means of transportation, are mainstream).

I do know one thing, there is a group of America, that is just fed up with sprawl and the wastefulness of the country and that's the group that efforts should be directed towards attracting for people to live in communities like Urban Plains and, hopefully in the future, a strong downtown core, where you can get EVERYTHING within a 10 block radius.

Here's to mainstream America's thinking....

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 12:09 AM
still here

I have to agree with both of you. Yeah, strip malls are not the best or most attractive thing but it's convinent and that's what people want. Some strip malls aren't that bad though. If you really think about it, the District at the Lakes plan in southwest Fargo is really a giant upscale stip mall. It's just like a bunch of stip malls clumped together in an upscale manor. It's a giant outdoor, upscale, stip mall. Well actually all stip malls are outdoor, but whatever.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 12:20 AM

Yeah, pretty much, when they get to the size or high-endedness of a small mini-mall, I don't have so much a problem with them. However when you look at the development on 25th St next to Playmakers, I don't see anything special. What I'd rather see, is a whole section of land get developed with different purposes, which is happening with the developments at the airport. They just built a decent hotel and restaurants, banks and shops are popping up around it. When that happens, I don't mind it so much.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 12:32 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
F-M, don't let a bunch of arrogant Winnipeggers get to you. I was merely presenting the possibility in a thread in that forum that if Winnipeg doesn't get its act together, Fargo-Moorhead may surpass it someday in the far future.

What the hell are you talking about????????????????

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 4:12 AM
still here

Does anybody know when the Mallard Creek Commons in Moorhead is supposed to start on construction? I know that one of the pad sites is already sold. Thinking of construction, what about the Home Depot in Moorhead? Maybe it is one of those buildings that is forever on the proposal sign
Here's the Mallard Creek Commons site:

Here's the site of the new Azool Retail Shoppes on 40th Avenue South:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest