HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 11:44 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
That's unnecessarily negative. Starfish generally does a good job of restoring and maintaining historic buildings (Morse's Tea debacle aside).
Well, let's see what happens. Others above have indicated that they have already cleaned the facad.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Well, let's see what happens. Others above have indicated that they have already cleaned the facad.
Yeah--the GM Smith and NS Furnshings buildings both look really good, and they did a great job restoring the street level of the Brander Morris (though it too could use a bit of work on the upper levels).

So, hopefully? Maybe there's some plan to do it afterward? I don't really know how these projects work, timeline-wise...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:17 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yeah--the GM Smith and NS Furnshings buildings both look really good, and they did a great job restoring the street level of the Brander Morris (though it too could use a bit of work on the upper levels).

So, hopefully? Maybe there's some plan to do it afterward? I don't really know how these projects work, timeline-wise...
Yes, here's to hoping. It just seems as any further facad work would be made more difficult after windows are installed. I hope they have some team actually work on it by hand. I don't know if a spraying will clean it up proper.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 9:29 PM

Sorry to be a pedant, but I can't handle it; it's facade, not facad. Sorry

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Thanks for the updates!

The windows do make a huge difference. I have a feeling the project will look better and better as the final detailing is completed.
I agree. I really like the way this is coming together and think it will go a long way to revitalizing Barrington. Hopefully future projects here will be at least as successful.

As an aside, does anybody know what happened to the elevator door from Sam's? I seem to remember that it had lots of signatures from bands visiting the city over the years - hopefully somebody saved it. I do miss that music shop in particular, especially when it inhabited several floors, but unfortunately that whole sector is just about gone due to changing technology (change isn't bad, necessarily, but the whole music store experience is one that I will miss when they finally all close up).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 4:09 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree. I really like the way this is coming together and think it will go a long way to revitalizing Barrington. Hopefully future projects here will be at least as successful.

As an aside, does anybody know what happened to the elevator door from Sam's? I seem to remember that it had lots of signatures from bands visiting the city over the years - hopefully somebody saved it. I do miss that music shop in particular, especially when it inhabited several floors, but unfortunately that whole sector is just about gone due to changing technology (change isn't bad, necessarily, but the whole music store experience is one that I will miss when they finally all close up).
I think it would be fantastic to have this as an Art Display in the lobby of the new building as a link to the past.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 4:55 PM

Walked past today and they're adding a black trim between all the little glass panels on the extension. Makes it look a lot nicer and the whole building 'holds together' better.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 5:03 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
Walked past today and they're adding a black trim between all the little glass panels on the extension. Makes it look a lot nicer and the whole building 'holds together' better.
Thank you for the update. I wish that I could see a picture.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:19 AM

Here ya go. The sun was shining brightly, so the black trim looked more like grey. It's not applied to the right-most building yet.

Last edited by Nifta; Apr 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Now with an actually working linked photo...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The picture's not showing up.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The picture's not showing up.
Thanks for the spot. Wasn't set to be shared. Corrected!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 8:35 PM
Urban Thinker

Looks better! I'm not quite sold on the lighter glass panels though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 1:45 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for the picture Nifta. I like the black trim around the windows on the old Sam the Record Man building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:11 PM

Here's one with more natural lighting

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 12:34 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'm looking forward to seeing this in person when I go to Halifax next weekend! All Halifax developments really...within downtown lol

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 9:06 PM
Urban Thinker

This looks ten times better in person than it does in those photos. The storefronts are still a mess, but seeing something modern along that stretch of Barrington is really refreshing.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 10:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for the pictures.

I think the glass looks good. It provides an interesting contrast. It's hard to say what the final storefronts will look like because I don't know what sort of work they plan to do. Hopefully they will be nicely restored. Starfish did a nice restoration of the G. M. Smith building a few years ago. The Carsand-Mosher building also looks great now, and has a good set of tenants.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The trim makes that top part look 200% better. Really gonna help Barrington once those buildings are occupied again

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 2:47 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Update:

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 3:09 PM
Honored Member

This is looking good.

The pace seems to be on par with an owner-occupied old home repair being done in the owner's spare time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth