HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:37 PM
Still optimistic

1812 Celebrations: A Bit Much?

I'd just like to know if I'm the only one who thinks that all this hullabaloo the government is trying to create over the war of 1812... well, just is a little useless. I mean, it's a war that was entirely political, that wasn't even fought by Canada and resulted in... well, just about nothing.

My favourite quote describing the end of the war is from the Globe&Mail:

Quote:
Rather than a stirring Canadian victory, [the war of 1812] ended when the Americans largely lost interest.
And that's just about what happened, as far as I can tell. Ever since the beginning of this year, I've been searching for a reason why we're expected to make such a fuss over this, but even after research and even visiting the exhibits in the War Museum, I've come to the conclusion that there just might not be one.

Not even the minister of Defence seems to care enough to memorize the most basic details of the war, as noted in the Huffington Post

Quote:
Last week during a speech at the French Embassy in Ottawa, the Defence Minister suggested the French supported the British during the War of 1812. The problem? The French backed the Americans [...]
And it wouldn't be so bad if they were just celebrating every little thing that has graced 'Canada''s (or other countries who at some point were in the same general area), but there has been nary a whisper about the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, an event of more objective importance than a war fought between the UK and the US 200 years ago largely over the issue of French Napoleonic wars in Europe.

It suffices to say that for an event of such little national importance besides Laura Secord chocolates, $28 Million is quite a bit of money and an entire year is quite a lot of our time wasted.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:45 PM

Some kind of misguided attempt to make us all patriotic like Americans or something. Something I could do without.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I'd just like to know if I'm the only one who thinks that all this hullabaloo the government is trying to create over the war of 1812... well, just is a little useless. I mean, it's a war that was entirely political, that wasn't even fought by Canada and resulted in... well, just about nothing.

And that's just about what happened, as far as I can tell. Ever since the beginning of this year, I've been searching for a reason why we're expected to make such a fuss over this, but even after research and even visiting the exhibits in the War Museum, I've come to the conclusion that there just might not be one.

Not even the minister of Defence seems to care enough to memorize the most basic details of the war, as noted in the Huffington Post

And it wouldn't be so bad if they were just celebrating every little thing that has graced 'Canada''s (or other countries who at some point were in the same general area), but there has been nary a whisper about the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, an event of more objective importance than a war fought between the UK and the US 200 years ago largely over the issue of French Napoleonic wars in Europe.

It suffices to say that for an event of such little national importance besides Laura Secord chocolates, $28 Million is quite a bit of money and an entire year is quite a lot of our time wasted.
The Charter is not being played up because it is seen as a potentially contentious issue: Quebec did not sign on and still has not.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:50 PM
Still optimistic

I would agree with you, but the Conservative Government has not seemed to give much thought to what might or might not be a contentious issue for Quebec: the other big celebration this year, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, represents not only a recent and actual issue in Quebec, but a historical one that goes back to 1760.

In many ways, the Charter isn't even a controversial issue in Quebec anymore, most people having largely forgotten what the issue was at all. And even if they did, they'd find that the issue was relatively minor and not of current contention anymore.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I would agree with you, but the Conservative Government has not seemed to give much thought to what might or might not be a contentious issue for Quebec: the other big celebration this year, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, represents not only a recent and actual issue in Quebec, but a historical one that goes back to 1760.

In many ways, the Charter isn't even a controversial issue in Quebec anymore, most people having largely forgotten what the issue was at all. And even if they did, they'd find that the issue was relatively minor and not of current contention anymore.
I have it on pretty good authority that one of the reasons the Tories steered clear of the Charter and Constitution is the fact that it might wake the sleeping dog in Quebec. That and the fact that the Charter etc. has Liberal written all over it of course.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I hope most Quebecois would not be offended by a celebration of the charter. I assume most of them would support its spirit and intent.

But I would understand not celebrating historic English versus French battles with too much fanfare, etc.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:16 PM

Yeah I don't get it either.

It was the british 200 years ago. So stupid.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:36 PM

I'd rather see our government keep health benefits for legitimate refugees than blowing money on a celebration that almost nobody cares about.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
That's kind of like saying that the Americans didn't lose in Vietnam, they just lost interest.

The Canadian/British "win" of the War of 1812 was basically defending against an invasion, and actually moving the lines into American territory (to their capital), and then withdrawing. I'm sure that if the British/Canadians kept going it would have undone the Revolutionary War, or at least taken more territory back.

To me the significance of the War of 1812 is "Canada's" first defense against an invasion by another country. It also of course has more significance in Southern Ontario, which was a point of focus of the invasion, and especially Toronto (which was sacked and burned) than the rest of Canada and even the rest of Ontario.

tl;dr It was more of a loss for the US and a successful defense for Canada than a win for Canada.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:54 PM

It's propaganda. Educate us, don't indoctrinate us.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
It's propaganda. Educate us, don't indoctrinate us.
So do you feel the same way about Remembrance Day, Victoria Day and V-E Day as well? (Though admittedly we don't have a holiday for the last one)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:01 PM

It's not the historical event that I'm questionning but rather, the reason why the current governement is trying so damn hard to promote it as some kind national glorification day.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I hope most Quebecois would not be offended by a celebration of the charter. I assume most of them would support its spirit and intent.
Going out on a limb - most people are OK with the general principles of the Charter and Constitution but they think that it goes a bit too far in terms of individual rights vs. collective rights. Which is the reason behind the distinct society clause that was in Meech - to take into account the fact that Quebec, though an integral part of Canada, has some things that it wants to do collectively and not have them legally interpreted through a rigorously individualistic prism.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
But I would understand not celebrating historic English versus French battles with too much fanfare, etc.
While it is true that France did side with the U.S. and therefore against the British (and "Canada" I guess), things are not usually viewed through this angle.

The War of 1812 isn't really in the minds of many people in Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that a bit odd to be honest. I mean, yes it was an "Anglo War", but the easy defeat and sacking of York is essentially the catalyst for the building of the Quebec Citadel. Also one of the fronts was between New York/Vermont and Quebec. Despite the fact that is not French, it is part of Quebec's history.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:37 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
So do you feel the same way about Remembrance Day, Victoria Day and V-E Day as well? (Though admittedly we don't have a holiday for the last one)
I actually agree with him: it's all good and actually very important that people learn their history. For example, some activities to educate and maybe a museum exhibit would have been completely appropriate. However, television ads, historic rifle exhibits at Winterlude and a new monument have no educational value. Their purposes are to appeal to emotions without actually informing us.
Moreover, these gimmicks seem to come at the detriment of actual historical education: cuts in Library and Archives Canada aren't going to help us know our history better if the only thing they'll be able to afford to do is conservation of documents and artifacts instead of sharing their historical value with the public.

History is one of my passions and I believe it's essential for us as people and a society to know it and value it, but this isn't history: it's a circus.

All we're missing is the bread.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:37 PM

The most important thing about the War of 1812 was how royally screwed over the Native Americans got.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:

...or anywhere in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with him: it's all good and actually very important that people learn their history. For example, some activities to educate and maybe a museum exhibit would have been completely appropriate. However, television ads, historic rifle exhibits at Winterlude and a new monument have no educational value. Their purposes are to appeal to emotions without actually informing us.
Moreover, these gimmicks seem to come at the detriment of actual historical education: cuts in Library and Archives Canada aren't going to help us know our history better if the only thing they'll be able to afford to do is conservation of documents and artifacts instead of sharing their historical value with the public.

History is one of my passions and I believe it's essential for us as people and a society to know it and value it, but this isn't history: it's a circus.

All we're missing is the bread.
Right on... du pain et des jeux!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I have it on pretty good authority that one of the reasons the Tories steered clear of the Charter and Constitution is the fact that it might wake the sleeping dog in Quebec. That and the fact that the Charter etc. has Liberal written all over it of course.
It's not just Quebec. I'm sure Trudeau-haters across Canada would try to find things wrong with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada