HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Any negotiated contract can bring the contractor on board early to provide input, not just the bid format. That would be a three-legged team with the owner in the lead equally over the contractor and designer, and everyone working together perhaps through the entire design process. That's typical in the private sector, and also common in some states under the public GC/CM format. Design-build combines the two into one contract, which is typically led by the contractor because only they (we) have the financial wherewithal (bonding capacity etc.).

Under the bid format, in the states I'm familiar with at least, the owner (not the designer) manages the contractor. Same three-legged stool. But with low-bid, the price is a surprise at the last minute (often +/- 10-25%), vs. a negotiated or design-build approach where fairly reliable estimating is happening along the way by the contractor.

Design-build also puts much of the price risk on the design-builder rather than the owner. Unforseen conditions can still be the owner's responsibility, but the cost of any missing design details or other certain forseeable elements will fall to the d-b. It also heavily incentivizes the team to think about ways to save money both during procurement (to win the job) and along the way (to make a profit, hopefully with clear basis of design / quality / schedule contractual requirements so the public gets what it bought).

Low-bid often gives projects to the contractor who interpreted the drawings and specs in the most lawyerly way, omitting as much scope as possible from the price, followed by arguing their way to change orders later, meaning a contentious process and a higher final price. The public sector is often forced to use this method, but the private sector has moved away from it.
What he said I'm just a lowly structural engineer and only know the specifics anecdotally, that's really a well thought out description.

And thanks for the response Wong, that is what I remember as well. I wonder how they are offsetting the parking in the mean time with the loss of the wing lots? Or maybe they don't care or it doesn't really matter much until the east line comes online.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Never Dell

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Sorry for not doing the research myself, but when will the segment to DIA be completed? I always feel like crap making my sister drive like 25 miles to pick me up when I fly in. I would love to be able to shoot downtown on the train and reduce her drive to 5 minutes.
Why not just take the bus (SkyRide) from DIA to Downtown? Not the fastest thing on earth by any means, but it's certainly feasible (and something I used to do very often when I lived in Denver.)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:56 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
What he said I'm just a lowly structural engineer and only know the specifics anecdotally, that's really a well thought out description.

And thanks for the response Wong, that is what I remember as well. I wonder how they are offsetting the parking in the mean time with the loss of the wing lots? Or maybe they don't care or it doesn't really matter much until the east line comes online.
I'll add to what mhays said. Speed is also definitely a factor, and what Snyder said (about starting before 100% design is complete) is also true. Not a big deal on a project like a rail line, because of the segmented nature of the work. I've never done design-build with a building/facility, I imagine that would be more complicated. But horizontal construction lends itself nicely to that approach. Take T-REX, for example. A buddy of mine from school did the MSE walls for that project. Actual construction was done and he had moved on to his next project before the trackwork and OCS design were anywhere near complete. That's hard to do under the design-bid-build model - requires way too much advance (and sophisticated) thinking from an owner.

Mhays - whether the owner or designer manages the contractor depends very much on the owner here. The state, what you said, yes. But only the largest municipalities/counties have the in-house capacity to manage contractors, so in practice it frequently falls to the designer (or a contracted consultant CM - even RTD has to do this). For most smaller municipalities, though, if you're going to have to contract out CM anyways, you may as well have your architect or engineer do it under his scope of work.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:02 PM
Never Dell

If the local design firms are equipped for that, great. But here, CM firm usually have that role instead.

It seems odd to have the designer do it. They might care too much about their favorite architectural elements and not enough about tightening cost...maybe good from a architect's standpoint but not from the typical corporate or public agency standpoint. If they have a separate CM team inside the firm, they'll have the expertise, but there would still be a "who's side are you on" question. Being an owner requires specific expertise very different from architecture. A good owner will clarify their goals, and guide the architect and contractor to meet them, with each partner playing key leadership roles -- the architect advocating for and providing great design, the contractor helping find ways to meet the full design intent cost effectively and providing data and ideas, the owner or CM keeping everyone on the same page and watching the checkbook, etc.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 8:00 AM
Robotic Construction

Inside FasTracks April Update

April 30, 2012
Welcome to Inside FasTracks – Welcome to Inside FasTracks – a monthly e-update designed to keep you informed about the progress of the Regional Transportation District’s FasTracks program, upcoming events, meetings and news. Inside FasTracks arrives the last Monday of each month.

Latest News

RTD Board Concurs Not to Pursue FasTracks Tax Increase in November
For the past several months, the RTD Board has been evaluating technical, financial and economic information and public input, related to whether to pursue a FasTracks sales tax election this year.

On April 24, at a Board Study Session, the Board had a discussion about a potential election in November and indicated its preference to not pursue a sales tax ballot initiative this year. This was not a formal action, but all 12 Board Members in attendance concurred that it would be very difficult to achieve a successful election this year for many reasons.

While economic conditions are slowly but steadily improving in the Denver Metro area, the RTD Board does not believe that the timing is right for a sales tax ballot initiative. The Board also acknowledged that the region has more work to do to further define how transit can best be provided in the Northwest area.

At their May 22 Board meeting, the Board will take a formal vote on withdrawing the recently submitted report to the Denver Regional Council of Governments, which assumes a successful 2012 tax vote. The Board gave staff direction to submit a revised plan with alternate assumptions. The RTD Board is committed to completing the entire FasTracks program and will

aggressively pursue alternative funding like grants, public-private partnerships and unsolicited proposals to remain steadfast in this vision. See the April 24 presentation.

RTD Seeks Ideas for I-225 Rail Line
RTD will be releasing a Request for Proposals in May for the I-225 Rail Line after finding that an unsolicited proposal from Kiewit Infrastructure Company on March 8 has merit. Kiewit and all other interested firms can submit a detailed proposal on how to complete the I-225 project sooner rather than later. The first segment from Nine Mile to Iliff is already under contract through a partnership with the Colorado Department of Transportation, which is widening the highway in that same area. A groundbreaking for the I-225 Rail Line will occur in mid-May.

Let the Construction Begin! Lakewood•Wadsworth Park-n-Ride Groundbreaking

Approximately 150 people watched as RTD broke ground on the four-story parking structure at 14th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard on April 11. The Park-n-Ride is scheduled to open with the West Rail Line in May 2013. Congratulations to the West Rail Line project team for achieving another milestone! Construction of a parking structure at Sheridan will begin later this spring.

The FasTracks Effect
Have you ever wondered how RTD identifies, tracks and measures how the FasTracks program affects the region and achieves its goals? Check out the Quality of Life Report for details.

Input Received for Service Changes near West Rail Line
RTD held public hearings in April to provide West Rail Line information and get feedback about potential bus route changes once the line opens in May 2013.

RTD Service Changes Begin May 13
The May 2012 service changes focus on adjusting services in response to recent service reductions and changes in ridership and operational performance. RTD makes adjustments to bus and light rail schedules three times a year to improve the overall quality and efficiency of the system.

FastFacts
Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day

RTD participates in Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day each April to give children the opportunity to learn about careers in public transit. On April 26, 53 children, grandchildren and significant children of RTD staff participated in tours and activities to learn about the RTD world of work and the skills required to be employed.

Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. More than 37 million children and adults participate at over 3.5 million workplaces annually.

The program was founded by Gloria Steinem and the Ms. Foundation for Women. The idea was to promote career opportunities for girls, since for a long time there were not many job options for women.

The program was expanded in 2003 to include boys; however, most companies that participated had always allowed boys and girls to participate, usually renaming it "Take Our Children to Work Day" or an equivalent.

Even the White House participates! This year about 200 children toured the mansion and met with the Park Service, Secret Service, White House pastry chefs and Council on Environmental Quality.

Project Progress

Central Rail Extension
The team continues further technical analysis of the extension, including study of a streetcar alternative, and is evaluating the options for extending streetcar into downtown Denver with potential for funding beyond the FasTracks program.

Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility
Building design is progressing on what will be a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-certified facility.

One structure on the site has been demolished and utility relocations are underway.
The CRMF yard has reached 100 percent design level.

Denver Union Station
The overall project is 61 percent; the light rail terminal is 99 percent complete; the bus box is 64 percent complete; the commuter rail station is 44 percent complete; and the streets and plaza are 71 percent complete.

Free guided tours of the Denver Union Station redevelopment site will be held at 4:30 p.m. beginning May 10 and continuing on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month through July.

East Rail Line
Girders were set on the Broadway-Brighton Bridge during an overnight street closure. The bridge deck will be poured in April.

Baseball’s opening day was met by completed drainage and utility relocation work during the Colorado Rockies’ off season.

Utility relocations continue as the contractor gets set for major construction later this season.

Gold Line
Property acquisition has begun along the alignment, including station areas and grade crossings.

Utility relocations will be starting soon in Olde Town Arvada with some street closures anticipated. Check the website for current detour information.
Building demolitions were done at the site of the Argo substation, which will provide power to the Gold Line.

I-225 Rail Line
SEMA Construction Inc. will begin work soon on the light rail track area from Nine Mile to Iliff and the expansion of I-225 from Mississippi Avenue to Parker Road.
RTD received an unsolicited proposal for the I-225 Rail Line extension and found it met the FasTracks goals and objectives. The RTD Board voted on April 17 to seek competitive bids through a Request for Proposals, which will be released in May.

North Metro Rail Line
On March 15, the North Metro Team issued a Request for Proposals for final design of segment one from Denver Union Station to the National Western Stock Show Station, with an option for final design to 72nd Avenue.

The North Metro Team is evaluating proposals received on April 19. An anticipated Notice to Proceed is scheduled for the third quarter of 2012.
Negotiations continue with Denver and CDOT toward reaching consensus on an intergovernmental agreement in the next few months.

Northwest Rail
Property acquisition, utility relocation of gas, water and wastewater lines, and demolition of several structures have begun along the first segment of the rail line to Westminster Station.

On March 27, the RTD Board approved a revised plan for the northwest area that keeps commuter rail to Longmont and, in the near term, adds bus rapid transit service to address more immediate transit needs.

Southeast Rail Extension
RTD engineering staff is working on advanced basic engineering and is coordinating project scope with stakeholders. Environmental planning efforts continue to complete tasks necessary for the first submittal to the FTA required for entry into the New Starts program for federal funding.

Southwest Rail Extension
The Board approved the use of $8.5 million of the construction-ready plan for the relocation of Union Pacific Railroad track for development of the project. Final design for this work is scheduled to begin early 2013.

US 36 Bus Rapid Transit
The contract for the queue jumps at McCaslin and Church Ranch is scheduled to be advertised in April with notice to proceed anticipated for June. The project will take six months to build.

The managed lane project to 88th Street is scheduled to begin this summer and be completed by Dec. 31, 2014—six month ahead of schedule.
Construction of the Table Mesa pedestrian bridge over US 36—another component of RTD’s bus rapid transit project—is scheduled for completion in March 2013.

West Rail Line
Track installation was completed and the first clearance test was conducted as a light rail vehicle was pulled through the corridor on March 22 and 23.
Work on the foundation of the Lakewood~Wadsworth Garage has started. A groundbreaking took place April 11.

Road construction began on 13th Avenue between Wadsworth and Harlan Street. 13th Avenue (north and south) will be closed in two-block sections through the spring and summer to accommodate final construction.

Source: http://rtd-fastracks.com/main_1

Last edited by SnyderBock; May 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:12 AM
Robotic Construction

Denverinfill.com's Denver Union Station Updates #98/99

Here's a glimpse of Denverinfill.com's Denver Union Station updates #98 and #99!

Quote:
This is the 2nd half of the underground bus terminal

Source: http://denverinfill.com/blog/

A view of it, from down inside

This is the inside of the 1st half of the underground bus terminal. This view shows where bus lanes and bus bays will be located

This is the pedestrian concourse down the middle of the 1st half of the underground bus terminal. This light shinning in from those openings in the ceiling, are the skylights. Between the pillars (currently being finished), are where the sliding doors will provide access to each bus bay.

Read and view entire update here:
http://denverinfill.com/blog/

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:15 AM
Robotic Construction

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 9:31 PM
Robotic Construction

Light Rail Terminal

Sod is going in at Denver Union Stations' Light Rail Terminal.
The Terminal formally fully opens to the public tomorrow, Friday, May 18th.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 12:37 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
Robotic Construction

Denver Infill DUS Update #100: Light Rail Terminal Plaza

Denver Infill DUS Update #100: Light Rail Terminal Plaza Now Open!

Just Before They Opened It:

At Night:

Now Open!

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:40 PM
Robotic Construction

West Corridor Light Rail Line To Open Early

West Corridor Light Rail Line To Open Early

Quote:
The 12.1 mile West Rail Line will open on April 2013, eight months earlier than original projections, prompting praise from Regional Transportation District officials Tuesday night.

"This is a huge accomplishment," said RTD General Manager Phil Washington.
The West Rail project is the first of RTD's FasTracks plans to built. The line was originally slated to open in December 2013 and then was moved up to May 2013.

But everything now indicates the project will commence passenger service on April 26, 2013, Washington said...

Read more: RTD says West Rail line opens early in April 2013
The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz1vf5WzHQ7

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:22 PM
Robotic Construction

Dbfom

Quote:
2nd offer emerges to build RTD’s I-225 FasTracks extension

Denver Business Journal

Date: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 6:46pm MDT

The Regional Transportation District said Thursday it now has two competing proposals to build an extension of its FasTracks light-rail line along Interstate 225 across Aurora.

In addition to Kiewit Infrastructure Co., which offered to build the project in March in an unsolicited bid, RTD now has a rival proposal from Balfour Beatty Ames Joint Venture, a team that includes Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP and Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Markets.

The Kiewit Infrastructure team includes Mass. Electric Construction Co., AECOM, and RBC Capital Markets.

Financial details of the two offers were not disclosed.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...tds-i-225.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:49 PM
Robotic Construction

Denver Union Station Update: July 24, 2012

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:53 PM
Robotic Construction

Another FasTracks line moving forward!

Quote:
RTD board approves Kiewit plan for I-225 light-rail line
Denver Business Journal

Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 7:12pm MDT - Last Modified: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 2:20pm MDT

The Regional Transportation District’s board Tuesday approved Kiewit Infrastructure Co.’s plan to build a light-rail line on Interstate 225 between Parker Road and Interstate 70, part of the massive FasTracks transit project.
The I-225 line is slated to be completed by November 2015 and to open in mid-2016 after six months of testing, RTD said.

The Denver-area transit agency’s board’s vote was 14-0 in favor, with a member absent.

““The completion of the I-225 line will offer economic growth and employment opportunities for the metro area,” RTD Board Chair Lee Kemp said in a statement. “We heard compelling input from the public to support this decision. Providing connectivity between major employment and medical centers and DIA, along with offering new transit options for tens of thousands of riders, will benefit people throughout the entire region.”

Kiewit in March submitted an unsolicited proposal to build the 10.5-mile line for $350 million via a fixed-price contract. Previously, RTD had estimated the I-225 line would cost about $538 million, including the agency’s internal costs.
Kiewit offered to build and finance the line, with RTD repaying the cost at a later date. Kiewit’s team included Mass Electric Construction Co., AECOM and RBC Capital Markets.

A second proposal emerged in June, with a bid submitted by Balfour Beatty Ames joint venture, a team that included Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets; Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP; and Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Markets.

Teams of people, including representatives from Aurora and the Colorado Department of Transportation, reviewed the two proposals.
RTD’s staff issued a recommendation July 3 in favor of the Kiewit plan...

Continue reading: http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...or.html?page=2

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 10:54 AM

any more pictures?
can you post links for more infomation on
downtown denver / union station / streetcar lines ....

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 9:14 PM
Robotic Construction

There are a ton of photos of every stage of Union Station construction, right here in this thread. Just go back through the pages of posts. The photos I posted have a link under them, which takes you to the live webcam.

The first page of this thread has all the renderings and project details, including the FasTracks Light Rail, Commuter Rail and Bus Rapid Transit lines being constructed. Denver currently does not have any funded streetcar lines. There is a study underway to convert part of all of the CBD portion of the Central Corridor Light Rail line+extension into a streetcar line and then extend it throughout downtown. There is another study being conducted independent of RTD, by the City/County of Denver about a Colfax streetcar line (which if built, would have one of the highest riderships of any streetcar line in the entire country). A subway line would probably be better suited for that kind of ridership.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 12:29 AM

yes i found the link.
the denverinfill link is good.
but the denverurbanism link is the best.
the info on train station development is awesome.
bookmark that thing.

dont think i could get enough info on denver
there is alot of stuff going on there.
the pics are great thanks.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 12:34 AM

how come your pics of the earthcam panarama
the ones you post on this page
why are they so much better then when i visit the earthcam page?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation