HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 7:33 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Interesting thought on the OT touchdown rule having the 2 point convert over the point after. Personally, I've always thought the point after was just a waste of time and have never really understood the point of it (no pun intended). I think it should be enough to just award 7 points for a touchdown rather than have to kick the ball for a point that is 99% guaranteed. I even find myself rooting for both teams to miss it.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 3:33 AM
The New Republic

That 2 point convert rule in overtime is great! It sure beats the 1 point convert which is seen as an after thought.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 7:28 PM
Youth of a Nation

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 3:59 AM
Youth of a Nation

Empire Fields fast facts
< Return to Article

April 25, 2010

Lowell Ullrich
The Province

When will it be ready?

Scheduled completion date is June 15, five days before the Lions' preseason home opener. The stadium will be home to soccer's Whitecaps to start MLS play in 2011 with both teams returning to B.C. Place Stadium later that year, though the Lions as yet do not have a lease with its landlord, B.C. Pavilion Corp.

Back in the day, Empire Stadium was known for a crown in the middle of the field. Will that be a factor at Empire Fields?

The artificial surface at B.C. Place Stadium will be laid down on the existing grass once a drainage system is constructed and, as such, should not cause a crown, Lions business vice-president George Chayka said.

Will PavCo still be in charge of the concessions?

Both concessions and in-game management will be operated by the PNE, which will be considered by some fans to represent an upgrade. As there was at B.C. Place Stadium, an alcohol-free section will be designated.

What about washrooms?

Chayka said the temporary facility will be built to construction code standards. Portable facilities will be the norm but some washrooms will be constructed and plumbed.

Will getting to games be more difficult?

TransLink will soon come out with a discounted bus pass to offset the fact SkyTrain is not a short walk to the Lions' new home. The club points out parking options in the immediate area around the PNE are more numerous than downtown.

Any chance for a look-see before the Lions' first game June 20?

No promises, but there's talk of an event a week earlier, providing the facility is complete, while the club is at training camp in Kamloops.

Day football at Empire would be a natural. Any games not needing lights this year?

The Lions will have three afternoon games this season and Chayka said with a fan response there's reason to think afternoon play will become more frequent in future scheduling.

Courtesy: www.vancouverprovince.com

Last edited by JayM; Apr 26, 2010 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 4:01 AM
Youth of a Nation

The dawn of a new Empire in B.C.
< Return to Article

April 25, 2010

Lowell Ullrich
The Province

VANCOUVER -- The biggest challenge facing the front office of the Lions this spring is a dilemma familiar to anyone who has ever been assigned the task of organizing seats at a dinner party.

Some people won't stand to be placed anywhere other than near the head of the table. Others need to be near friends, or away from those who might drink too much, or insist on being close to an exit.

Do that exercise roughly 6,000 times, and keep in mind nobody has ever seen the seating configuration because to date it does not exist. You've just passed Football Event Planning 101, and now have a better understanding of just one of the challenges faced by the CFL team in moving their dishes for at least one season from B.C. Place Stadium to their temporary home at Empire Fields.

"There's mornings I wake up at 4 a.m. and start thinking about something," Lions business vice-president George Chayka said.

The club's point man in the move between stadiums operated by B.C. Pavilion Corp. indicated that after little over a month there have been few construction problems at the PNE site.

The seating framework for the 27,500-seat temporary facility is nearly finished and construction is still targeted to be completed June 15, a mere five days in advance of the club's preseason home opener against the Edmonton Eskimos.

Though the Lions will heavily push the nostalgic return to a site where the team played its first 29 seasons, anyone driving by the place where Joe Kapp and Willie Fleming became legends would conclude the only similarity between their new home and Empire Stadium will be the views of the North Shore mountains.

Once the artificial surface is transported from the dome, the tightness of their new home without the old Empire Stadium track could remind the Lions of Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, where fans are practically breathing on the backs of players on the sidelines.

It will be cozy, and if the team on the field is decent, it could be loud.

"I've asked each manager to visualize what it's going to be like ... do you know where the rooms are; where am I going to enter the building?" said Chayka.

"The most frustrating aspect is people want answers. There's still questions that are being asked all the time that we find out as we go along."

The toughest part for the Lions staff, aside from working through a move to a home that only exists on a blueprint, is satisfying the ticket wishes of the paying customer.

The club has roughly 6,000 accounts comprising its season ticket base, and the capacity at Empire Fields could create a demand if walk-up traffic brings attendance equal to the average crowd of 28,610 that showed up last year.

For the past several weeks, six account reps have been contacting season-ticket holders about moving a seat indoors to a corresponding chair outside. So far so good, according to the club. The biggest problem came when the Lions had to juggle the guest list after discovering the contractor, Nussli Special Events Ltd., could only build a replay scoreboard on the north side of the new facility. A Nussli spokesman did not respond to an interview request.

Only a handful of season-seat holders rejected the great outdoors and will wait for the club to return downtown sometime next year. Roof renovations at B.C. Place Stadium are set to begin in earnest next week with the controlled deflation of the existing cover which prompted the reported $468 million makeover.

"The thing we heard the most from season-ticket holders is that they had built communities at B.C. Place," said Arlene Stewart-Irvine, the club's customer service manager. "They knew their neighbours and they liked their neighbours. We were careful not to disturb that. We moved people over in communities."

The trick will be to get those communities to travel to games at a location not served directly by SkyTrain, which wasn't more than a noble thought in 1982 when the Lions last played at Empire Stadium.

And to get their fan base thinking about the move the Lions will this week roll out transit plans offered by TransLink and advance parking purchase options with the PNE.

If Vancouver can survive the Winter Olympics, a few football games should be a breeze.

"It's all about habits. When you go to B.C. Place you don't need to even think about it," said Chayka. "The key is to minimize the learning experience." To put it another way, the goal is to get the same dinner guests to roughly the same seat by causing the least fuss.

Courtesy: www.vancouverprovince.com

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 4:03 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Any chance for a look-see before the Lions' first game June 20?

No promises, but there's talk of an event a week earlier, providing the facility is complete, while the club is at training camp in Kamloops.
I never knew they did all there training in Kamloops that's interesting to know.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 4:13 AM
Youth of a Nation

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

The Lions only have 6000 season ticket holders? WOW!! BC Place seats 60,000. So, thats only 10% of the seats. Thats kinda pathetic for a professional sports league.

Is this the norm for the league? I wouldn't think so...well, maybe in Toronto, but...still.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
The Lions only have 6000 season ticket holders? WOW!! BC Place seats 60,000. So, thats only 10% of the seats. Thats kinda pathetic for a professional sports league.

Is this the norm for the league? I wouldn't think so...well, maybe in Toronto, but...still.
The article said 6,000 accounts - presumably one account can hold multiple seats.

I would doubt that many people are going to football games solo, so I would expect that individual accounts would average maybe two to four tickets each.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 1:25 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

I'd hope so. Otherwise I don't honestly know how the CFL survives.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 2:11 PM

BC has averaged about 18000-22000 season ticket holders over the past 5 years edmonton is in that range too maybe a bit more. I believe calgary is in that range too.Winnipeg is in the 15-18000 range montreal is at about 17,000 but it might be more now with the expanded molson stadium. Hamilton and Toronto are about 10-12,000 there was more a couple years ago but the argos have stunk so bad the past couple years I don't blame people for not wanting to watch another crappy T.O. team and of course the hated riders have about 23,000 season ticket holders. With new and improved stadia in the next few years I hope to see the average cfl attendance break the old records set in the late 70's early 80's of 31,000 fans a game I belive the league averages about 29,000 a game right now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 5:04 PM

I think I heard on the radio the other day that the Argos have only sold 2000 season tickets so far for this season.

I don't know what the proposed seating capacity is for the new Rider Stadium, but they could probably get away with at least 40 - 45 000 seats you'd think.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:06 PM
The New Republic

Saskatchewan are at about 23,000 season ticket holder and may have to cap it at 25,000. If memory serves me correctly, Calgary was up past 28,000 season ticket holders last year. I imagine that the season ticket base is at least that high in Edmonton.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Expropriation has begun in Hamilton to make way for the new waterfront stadium. Most should be moved out by the fall.

Cleanup starts in 2011 and construction in 2012. Stadium needs to be ready in 2014, one year before the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:41 PM

hey steeltown have the ti-cats agreed to move in to the new ballpark yet because I know Bob Young has been giving the city trouble on weather the team will move to the harbour location or not. I don't see how they can't though I mean ivor wynn is a thousand years old and where else can the ti-cats play?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

The City and Council have already made the final decision. The Ti Cat's staff can complain or whatever but they aren't the ones paying for the stadium or the annual maintenance. The City and the Mayor wants the stadium by the waterfront near downtown while the Ti Cats would perfer to have the stadium next to an eight lane highway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post

I noticed that too. Amazingly the Caps already sold out last year the first allotment of 5,000 season tickets for the 2011 MLS season with another batch coming up soon. They'll cap it at 16,500 for the first year, which you can guarantee will sell out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 4:34 AM

I also believe much of the seats at BC place are closed off during the regular season, so total attendance is not much above 30,000. I am not 100% sure though.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 5:19 PM
The New Republic

The average attendance for the Lions in 2009 was 28,610. 6,000 isn't the number of season ticket holders, it's the number of accounts that the Lions have. Even if each account comprises 2 seasons tickets, it's still shockingly low.

A city like Moncton could get 6,000 seasons tickets with its eyes closed.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 6:30 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Even if each account comprises 2 seasons tickets, it's still shockingly low.
Or you could stop throwing around random numbers and make a much more educated guess. BC's lowest attended game was the preseason game. It says that just over 23,000 attended (im assuming they are counting tickets sold, not gate). I would highly doubt that that many people purchased single tickets for that event, resulting in approximately that many season tickets.

The only way that wouldn't be true is that if there was some sort of promotion where season ticket holders get a free seat for the exibition game, which i believe happens here. But considering the next lowest attended game, this doesn't appear to be the case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada